FNG from SD

JSTR

FNG
Found the site recently and decided it was time to become a member while I wait for the new season to come. Never hurts to be on a forum with like minded people. Located in South-East South Dakota

Last edited:
OP
JSTR

JSTR

FNG
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here!
thank you very much, I've been catching up on all of the shared knowledge on the site and as a new hunter it is a little overwhelming, but it is very welcome compared to going through 6year old youtube videos to try to learn dated methods
Kill any deer this year?
while living in NoDak I had no options for hunting, as all groups that had made promises to allow me to tag along fell through, and since moving to SoDak in mid October, all I've been able to really do is scout for coyote, as we weren't able to successfully call any in... I blame heading out a little too late in the day.

I have yet to hunt for deer in my life, only animal I have successfully harvested by my own hands was a wild turkey back in California, and I quickly learned that wild turkey does not have the same flavor as store-bought bird lol.

I look forward to meeting more companions in my new state that would welcome me into their hunting parties, as I know that I have much to learn, and I desperately yearn for new learning opportunities to be sent my way

Fatcamp

WKR
Lots of deer in south Dakota. We can help ya figure something out. Are you familiar with SDGFP website, maps, and point system?

OP
JSTR

JSTR

FNG
Lots of deer in south Dakota. We can help ya figure something out. Are you familiar with SDGFP website, maps, and point system?
not the point system as much as I'd like to be, but I do have the app on my phone and have registered, just waiting on the 15th when next years licenses are available. At the moment I was planning on purchasing the resident combination license, as I do have plans for heavy fishing with my friend, I have never been on a kayak and he said he plans to change that as soon as possible, and much the same as with hunting, I am all too excited to add more new experiences to my list of accomplishments. I have also downloaded onx and gaia's apps on my phone and have been scouting areas locally, such as my before mentioned friend's land.

I am open to any and all knowledge that others such as yourself wish to share, and I thank you all for being so welcoming to me here on rokslide, I can't wait to put my gopros to use for some nice 4k shots of whatever animals me and my companions can manage to take. My friend has brought some pheasant since he was collecting a large amount, and he taught me how to process the breasts, and I have held onto a few tail feathers from each bird that I personally cleaned. We also have plans for early spring to check his land and the surrounding areas that we have permission to be on for any sheds. My wife also met an older gentleman that trains retrievers that has offered us a major discount to train our three puppies, and when the money is available we plan to take him up on his offer.

*EDIT*
since posting, I have read all of the differences between the Dakota's and their preference point systems

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
You have until tomorrow to buy preference points for SD. I highly suggest you go on now and buy east river deer, West River deer, antelope, black hills elk, and plains elk. Probably the two paddlefish as well. You won't draw deer tags worth a hoot without them and cow elk tags will probably require a couple points by the time you are ready to tackle that beast.

Do you have a shotgun and a small game license?

Have you taken a hunters safety class?

OP
JSTR

JSTR

FNG
You have until tomorrow to buy preference points for SD. I highly suggest you go on now and buy east river deer, West River deer, antelope, black hills elk, and plains elk. Probably the two paddlefish as well. You won't draw deer tags worth a hoot without them and cow elk tags will probably require a couple points by the time you are ready to tackle that beast.

Do you have a shotgun and a small game license?

Have you taken a hunters safety class?
I have not taken hunters safety, nor do I own a shotgun yet. I've called to ask since online it says hunters safety is only required for underaged hunters in the state, which was different than North Dakota. I am getting the combination license on the 16th, I don't have solid plans for deer hunting as of yet

Fatcamp

WKR
I have not taken hunters safety, nor do I own a shotgun yet. I've called to ask since online it says hunters safety is only required for underaged hunters in the state, which was different than North Dakota. I am getting the combination license on the 16th, I don't have solid plans for deer hunting as of yet
Last day for preference points. At least get your West River Deer point.

OP
JSTR

JSTR

FNG
Last day for preference points. At least get your West River Deer point.
don't have the available funds until the 16th, I def appreciate the heads up though. I don't mind waiting to be honest, as I feel hunting small game would probably be better practice while I build up and test my gear for the area. I have some pieces, but I want to acquire some calls and possibly another firearm before getting a waterfowl shotgun