FNG from MN

trepuah

FNG
Hello from a FNG from Minnesota. I am a long time lurker and listener of the rokcast, but just recently made my account due to needing to get more involved to prep for an upcoming hunt. I grew up hunting whitetail, grouse, pheasants, and turkey. My family is more traditional in the hunting scene and participates in the annual gun opener, but in high-school I came more interested and bought a bow and a hang-on stand and started hunting local public land on my own. This year I talked my Dad and older brother into hunting Idaho archery mule deer with me. Although my dad was unable to get a tag, my brother and I both did for unit in Idaho. I have done extensive e-scouting and would be happy to discuss the unit with people who have experience in the unit and would welcome any advice people are willing to offer. Additionally, if you have any information related to pack systems and tripod/optics setups (preferably both in a budget friendly way) please reply.

On a personal level, I am a rising senior at a major public university. I will be graduating with an engineering degree this winter and am currently applying to medical schools across the Midwest. If you are a younger forum member and have any questions about engineerng, job prospects, major choice, or the pre-medical process, please feel free to ask. I do not know everything, but I can share what I have heard and believe to be true.

God bless!
IMG_0248.jpgIMG_4141.jpgIMG_4767.jpgIMG_5695.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tbro16

FNG
Another Minnesotan here, welcome!

I spent a year out in Boise last year on a work assignment, have some recommendations for you if you make it that far on your hunt but didnt spend much time in that unit.

I bought an Exo K2 5500 5-6 years ago and absolutely love it. Gets good use in the fall out west and spring/summer for BWCA trips too. Great customer service with Exo as well, I'd highly recommend them. I'd check FB marketplace for a discount.

For the optics, I recently upgraded to the Vortex Viper 12x50s. I throw that on a Vangaurd tripod. Picked both of them up at the Scheels in Roch. I need to upgrade my spotter. I went ultralight and ultra-cheap on a spotter a few years ago but it was a poor purchase. Buy once cry once hurts but theres so much truth to it. Spotters aren't absolutely necessary, especially if you and your brother would be happy with about any legal buck.

Last edited:
OP
T

trepuah

FNG
Another Minnesotan here, welcome!

I bought an Exo K2 5500 5-6 years ago and absolutely love it. Gets good use in the fall out west and spring/summer for BWCA trips too. Great customer service with Exo as well, I'd highly recommend them. I'd check FB marketplace for a discount.
I assume you bought something like this: https://www.facebook.com/share/rxN7ckoe285S4uS5/

What is a good price on a pack like that? I just don't know the market but the fact that a 5-6 year old pack is going for only $200 less than a brand new k4 pack system that seems like a high price. Please let me know what you think.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new MN member.

Eddie

P.S. You sir, have been awarded the FNG ⭐ today for your most excellent intro that also includes pix. Well done.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to rokslide! Please keep in mind we don’t publicly discuss specific units (I removed it from a couple comments)

OP
T

trepuah

FNG
Welcome to rokslide! Please keep in mind we don’t publicly discuss specific units (I removed it from a couple comments)
sorry! didn't realize this. Could I say things like "central idaho" or "near ketchum"?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
sorry! didn't realize this. Could I say things like "central idaho" or "near ketchum"?
Maybe leave out towns, wilderness names, geographical features. A good example would be “Drew a southern Idaho tag, have a few questions if you want to pm me”. I have no idea about Idaho logistics but here’s a bad example in Colorado “drew unit X or a tag in the flattops” it’s saying the same thing.

tbro16

FNG
I assume you bought something like this: https://www.facebook.com/share/rxN7ckoe285S4uS5/

What is a good price on a pack like that? I just don't know the market but the fact that a 5-6 year old pack is going for only $200 less than a brand new k4 pack system that seems like a high price. Please let me know what you think.

I want to say I spent a good $650 on it new. I know earlier this spring a buddy in Boise had an opportunity to buy a new K3 at $350 after they introduced the K4s. Looking at used prices now I'm very surprised they are as spendy as they are. Maybe used isnt the route