FNG from Eastern Washington

Howdy,

Long time firearm enthusiast, farmer and agronomist/horticulturalist. I have hunted waterfowl, upland birds, and small game for most of my life, but just now really starting to pursue big game hunting. I hunted a cumulative 9 days in Idaho GMU 16 this Fall for White Tail, but really didn't see any animals and never had a chance to take a shot on a buck. I was able to secure a White Tail tag for Idaho GMU 10A for 2023, so starting preparations now.

I will probably also buy some OTC tags for Mule Deer and Black Bear in Washington next year as well. I haven't narrowed down the the specific unit for Mule Deer or season (Archery, Rifle, or Muzzle Loader). I would like to eventually get into elk hunting as well. I am less focused on harvesting big trophies at this point in my hunting career, so much as good size animals that will provide quality meat for my family.

I have a good rifle set up (remember the whole firearm enthusiast thing). I just bought a bow for the first time about a year ago with a Hoyt Torrex RTH package. I have been Learning A LOT about archery (loving it!). I realized that the learning curve is endless, that compound bows are complicated and without special equipment I have to rely on my local pro shop to make even minor adjustments (like replacing a peep that came out). And unfortunately that bows do not hold value like firearms... But they do cost as much...

I see it as an important skill set to not only provide good quality meat for my family, but also to teach my children and God children/nieces and nephews so they can one day be self sufficient as our world continues to move toward the arc of authoritarianism and our economy deteriorates. But I do also highly enjoy being in the outdoors and the mountains in particular!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

hwy1strat

WKR
Welcome! Where in eastern Washington are you? I’m in Spokane. I helped a buddy hunt 10A this past season and he tagged a nice whitetail buck. I may be able to offer you some intel

OP
USMC1302Colt
Welcome! Where in eastern Washington are you? I’m in Spokane. I helped a buddy hunt 10A this past season and he tagged a nice whitetail buck. I may be able to offer you some intel
Lower Yakima Valley, I live on the apple orchard I grew up on. I Heard Harris Ridge is a good area in 10A! Thoughts???