FNG from Colorado soon to be Western North Carolina

Hello, FNG here from Denver Colorado. I've lived in Colorado my entire life and have been hunting for the past four years, mostly small game and rifle hunting mule deer and antelope. I'm moving to Hendersonville North Carolina next summer and will be trading the spot and stock mule deer rifle hunting that I have been doing in Colorado for whitetail tree stand bow hunting. I'm looking to learn as much as I can about Western North Carolina, bow hunting, and whitetails.

Hoping to graduate from FNG status asap!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome. I am about 45 minutes south of Hendersonville- in SC upstate.

WKR
I grew up in the WNC area in the ‘70s doing a lot of small game hunting. At that time, there was whitetail hunting to be had but there was a lot of competition and success was so so. Part of the problem then was a poaching tradition that was just considered to be the way things were. I understand it’s gotten a lot better since I grew up there, but rifle season is still anything but peace and solitude.

Turkeys have also come on strong in recent years, so don’t overlook that.

The best Whitetail hunting in NC is in the eastern part of the state. There’s a lot of corn and soybean fields down that way, while mountain bucks are trying to make a living on acorns and hickory nuts. And there is also a strong bear hunting tradition in the mountains (hounds) but best bear hunting is actually in the swamps, not the mountains.

Last edited:
Hello, FNG here from Denver Colorado. I've lived in Colorado my entire life and have been hunting for the past four years, mostly small game and rifle hunting mule deer and antelope. I'm moving to Hendersonville North Carolina next summer and will be trading the spot and stock mule deer rifle hunting that I have been doing in Colorado for whitetail tree stand bow hunting. I'm looking to learn as much as I can about Western North Carolina, bow hunting, and whitetails.

Hoping to graduate from FNG status asap!
Evening. There have been several good bucks taken near the Hendo area in the last couple of years. PM me once I’m able and I will be happy to share what I know about the area. My son and I went to the Denver area this year on a scouting trip. Can’t wait to go back this year and hunt.