FNG from Alaska

JMonty

FNG
Greetings all! I've been reading the forum for some weeks now and decided it was time to join the ranks.

I currently live in/am a resident of Alaska (and plan to retire from the military here), although I was born and raised in Tennessee in the shadows of the Appalachian mountains. I grew up around deer hunting and fishing of all sorts. However, I am just now getting into the exciting world of hunting the various big game species here in Alaska. My goals for this year are a black bear, a moose and a caribou and if I can even get one of those I'll call that a success. I also enjoy fishing and I'm getting the itch for a the upcoming salmon runs to give my fly fishing rod some time in the rivers.

It's been interesting reading through all of the threads and I appreciate all the accumulated experience here that everyone freely gives. Can't wait to add my own experiences as I'm able.

OP
J

JMonty

FNG
Welcome, and good luck this coming season!
Thanks, I'll certainly need it! I've already got some scouting trips for black bear under my belt for some of the local trails although it is still a bit early to really be seeing any. It's been good though to see what I need to work on in terms of physical conditioning though which has proved valuable.

crich

WKR
Welcome. I live on JBER we'll be leaving next April as much as I'd love to stay we didn't IPCOT. Ill have 3 years left once we leave. Lots to learn on here and so many things to do up here its overwhelming. Great fishing close and black bear within a reasonable drive if youre willing to hike some elevation.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome, hope you share some stories from Alaska with us. Good luck this season

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
J

JMonty

FNG
Welcome. I live on JBER we'll be leaving next April as much as I'd love to stay we didn't IPCOT. Ill have 3 years left once we leave. Lots to learn on here and so many things to do up here its overwhelming. Great fishing close and black bear within a reasonable drive if youre willing to hike some elevation.
I'm on JBER as well with my family. So far I'ved hiked Peters Creek and Ptarmigan Valley trails to get an idea on the mountain slopes along those trails to see what may be good for an eventual off trail trek. I enjoyed Peters Creek trail more. Thinking of sticking within 14C (mainly Chugach unit areas) for the spring season although a few frineds have discussed checking out Units 7 and 13.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of great hunting right here in 14c, ofcourse the Caribou will require a drive. Welcome and good luck this season.

OP
J

JMonty

FNG
Plenty of great hunting right here in 14c, ofcourse the Caribou will require a drive. Welcome and good luck this season.
Yeah, I'll eventually look at Haul road for Caribou I imagine. 14C will probably be what I go after Black Bears, with a possibility of moose if I eventually get a draw. I'm certainly open to other units though, especially for Moose so I will just have to wait and see what opportunities arise in the coming months and years.

crich

WKR
Peters creek is nice. Lots of trails in 14c for sure. Outdoor rec has decent deals on boat rentals if you havent already checked them out. Dipnetting season theyre booked heavily so plan accordingly if you want one. I use their drift boats to float the kenai and get away from the ferry and most of the people.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new AK member.

Eddie

Slugz

WKR
Retired Navy guy here. Thank you for your service and welcome!!!

If you dont already listen to the Northern Hunter Podcast. Ton of useful info from some great guys that call Fairbanks home.

OP
J

JMonty

FNG
Retired Navy guy here. Thank you for your service and welcome!!!

If you dont already listen to the Northern Hunter Podcast. Ton of useful info from some great guys that call Fairbanks home.
Can't say I have listened to them but I will add them to my list! Always looking for new podcasts to accompany me during hikes/rucks/cardio. Appreciate it!

Thank you for your service!
welcome to Rokslide. I have been blessed by a lot of guidance here. Those of us in the lower 48 are jealous of all the opportunities you have as an Alaska resident. Take advantage and be grateful for what you have while its there.
I heard of the Northern Hunter podcast form a Ryan Lampers video earlier today. This is the second time I have seen reference to it. Probably a sign.

Slugz

WKR
Thank you for your service!
welcome to Rokslide. I have been blessed by a lot of guidance here. Those of us in the lower 48 are jealous of all the opportunities you have as an Alaska resident. Take advantage and be grateful for what you have while its there.
I heard of the Northern Hunter podcast form a Ryan Lampers video earlier today. This is the second time I have seen reference to it. Probably a sign.
Yeah they are very Fairbanks centric and provide a ton of great info. I think two are ex Army.