FNG from AK ammo advice

Lori C.

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey there! As you might recall, i’m going on my first Alaskan spring black bear hunt this May. If given the opportunity, I can also take a brown bear. For my Tikka T3x lite 30-06, what ammo would you all recommend? I’m looking at the Barnes X or Nosler Partition but I’d really appreciate any recommendations you all have.

Lori

wyosteve

WKR
I haven't used the Barnes X, but Nosler partitions have worked well for me on grizzly and brown bear.

I have that same rifle I have really liked the Barnes 168 tsx or TTSX and also the federal trophy copper. another really good one is the federal terminal accent

22lr

WKR
I took a 6ft Brownbear down on the Kenai (near Hope) with my 30-06 shooting 178grn Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter loads. 2 shots at 298yds, 1 right behind the front leg (did the typical snapping back around trying to see what hit it, got entry and exit holes), then sent 1 into the mid-chest looking right at me (entry, no exit), after the second shot it crumbled and rolled (my brother was on backup/spotting duty with a 6.5 and right before my second round he hit it as well, but it was a little behind my first round. He got full penetration and and exit wound but not entirely sure if it was into vitals or not). We were racing the clock by the time we got done skinning to get off the mountain so I didn't do a full necropsy, but I was very happy. For what its worth, ill use the same rounds this Sept when I go again.