Flying with a dog

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone done it recently? Debating taking 2 year old pup to beach this summer, Southwest Airlines, Denver to Nashville to change planes to the panhandle.
Words of wisdom appreciated, not sure southwest allows it, but if they do, what’s the best plan.
Thanks

I have done it a few times and never had issues. But it's always stressful. Probably more for ne than the dog. I know breeders that ship pups all over the country without problems.

A lot of airlines have stopped allowing dogs to be checked as luggage, not sure if Southwest is one. I know Alaska Airlines still allows it, and they do a good job generally. It's something that after you book your ticket you have to call and reserve cargo space for the pet, pay an additional fee ($100-125 each way), and then there are things like kennel dimension restrictions, specific types of kennels allowed, extra time to drop off the dog, etc to keep in mind. Overall it's not that complicated, but the process can vary between airlines

sacklunch

WKR
Multiple dogs have accidently been left in kennels on the hot tarmac and passed away. The plane change in Nashville with summer temps would concern me.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Agree time of year matters. I’d avoid in the summer. We had to move to Hawaii in summer months and stressed the entire time about our dog.

We took first flight (5am) to mitigate heat. Turned out ok, but was stressful.

PM me. Very small chance, but if the stars align I may have a solution.

Fwiw the drive isn’t bad. Just did it 9 months ago. ;)

jmez

WKR
Southwest won't fly pets in cargo. Has to be small enough to fit under seat in a carrier in the cabin.

On ground temps must be between 45-85 or they will not be allowed on plane. No way you are getting a dog to Florida, through Nashville in the summer.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Last time I took my GSP back to Wisconsin I had to have a Vets health certificate which was current within ten days of travel. One vet visit was good for round trip. There is that added cost to the shipping cost.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I did it in 2019, but with a pup small enough to go under the seat in front of me in a carrier. I've looked into it a few times with the now full grown dog but it really didn't seem practical. If anyone has figured it out I would really like to learn from you too because I would love to be able to fly out west with my dog to do some bird hunting.

Antares

WKR
A lot of airlines have stopped allowing dogs to be checked as luggage, not sure if Southwest is one. I know Alaska Airlines still allows it, and they do a good job generally. It's something that after you book your ticket you have to call and reserve cargo space for the pet, pay an additional fee ($100-125 each way), and then there are things like kennel dimension restrictions, specific types of kennels allowed, extra time to drop off the dog, etc to keep in mind. Overall it's not that complicated, but the process can vary between airlines

Just a note on Alaska Air, they only put dogs in the cargo holds of their 737 aircraft, not in the holds of their Airbus fleet (the aircraft they acquired when the bought Virgin America). They also have a limit on the number of dogs they’ll put in the hold (3 I believe). Best to call and make reservations with a real person to make sure you’re satisfying all the criteria with your itinerary.

Trazodone works good to settle the dog down if they’re high strung. Ziptie the door shut on the kennel. I think dogs are more resilient than we give them credit for.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Would like to hear more about experience with dog transporters--how does that work? How long was the trip? About how much $

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
5 or 6 years ago I flew my old jack russell terrier home with me from duck camp (he doesn't hunt, just hangs out). He was in a small crate I could carry. He took a big runny shit while we were taxiing down the runway for our last flight, inside the crate .... That was a miserable 1 hour flight with a lot of apologies made.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've flown with adult dogs under the plane (United airlines, direct flight only, winter) as well as puppies in the cabin with me (a Dane puppy really did a number one time, repeatedly, on a flight from Tennessee to Denver). I was initially hesitant, but my wife likes to remind me that Guide Dogs for the Blind, with which we've volunteered in the past, sends out a little legion of puppies by air every year without incident.

I agree with what others have said about being careful about transfers and time of year. I would only do a direct flight from point to point (hub cities are ideal; I feel like spoke airports aren't as prepared to deal with dogs) at the right time of the year. Vet gave the pup a doggy xanax and she was fine. \

I'd also agree with the folks who said they wouldn't fly a dog DEN -> TN -> FL in the summer. It's two long days of driving, but I'd probably do it, or explore the canine transport options.

Delta, American, United, & Southwest have all stopped accepting dogs as checked luggage. You can ship them as cargo on American or Delta but I would have a hard time taking that risk just to have my dog along with me on vacation. It would be cheaper to board your dog at home for a week and I think the socialization is good for a young pup.

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
My dad worked at DTW for 10 years. The stories he told me about how dogs were treated and the condition he saw them in coming out of the cargo hold made me swear I’d never do it.

Flying with a dog usually has to be as cargo now which like others has said is a pain. It's expensive, their are special regulations per airline for the crates, you need a vet health certificate w/ 10 days, and you also need the air temperature at both locations (takeoff and landing) to be 40-90 degrees. Big PIA and I'd only recommend if it's your only option.

In the lower 48, the ground transports are great. Gun Dog Express, Lake States Transport, and more specialize in moving dogs around the country and have multiple routes per month. The dogs are in a climate controlled sprinter van usually and get let out 1-2x a day on the road. Much more comfortable for the dog and usually a bit cheaper than the airline but it does take a touch longer.