Flying for a Deer Hunt?

ssramage

FNG
I've got a bow hunt in Ohio coming up the end of Sept. I've been planning to drive, but the flights are surprisingly cheap and I have some unused flight credits that are expiring and would make it basically free... the drive from me from GA is about 12 hours.

I've never flown for a hunt though, so I have some questions.

1. Any logistics issues flying with a bow and hunting gear?
2. Assuming I'm successful, how do I get my trophy/meat home?
3. I have a Harbor Freight Apache Case. Seems pretty solid for flying. Thoughts?

WCB

WKR
Are you going guided?

1. As far as traveling with a bow and hunting gear. No special processes or anything just like any other sporting equipment/checked bag. Just really pay attention to what you are packing. Unlike driving you can't just throw extra things in just because.
2. You can fly with a cooler. Freeze deer put in cooler good to go. For your main bag use a large duffle and bring another soft sided cooler with you (you could bring it inside the regular cooler). Use the soft sided as over flow or to keep weight in check and place in you duffle bag on the return trip. You can wrap the crap out of the antlers with rubber hose, bubble wrap and duct tape. Get the hide as small as possible if mounting freeze and stick in duffle with the rest.

This is basic and I have done similar. Key is don't bring a bunch of crap with you...PACK LIGHT. Use as big of a carryon as possible and put your clothes in it. Put as much of your hunting stuff (range finder, binos, knives, etc) in your bow case or carry on your optics. Again don't bring unneeded crap. Early season hunt a guy needs 2 pairs of street clothes and 2 set of hunting clothes for a week. That is it. If you can get it to a butcher shop and they can break it down vaccum seal and freeze all the better.

On the other hand...since you normally drive and you won't be spending gas money and your tickets will be basically free. A better choice may be if you kill something just rent the cheapest vehicle you can and drive home.

Trial153

WKR
Bone the meat out, put it a soft cooler, same with the cape and check it in… put the rack in a duffle or bin all wrapped up and padded and check that too… flying with a bow is no problem. Lots of guys sweat the baggage fees but it is what it it is… pay and pray.

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I just flew in from a deer hunt yesterday. FYI, antlers are TSA approved. My skull was cleaned of all meat and dried and then carried on the plane along with a cooler containing another meat filled skull and frozen deer meat. Besides one old Karen talking crap to me, I had no issues. I can't imagine the size bag or cooler required to check a deer head safely.

My gigantic Pelican case with my rifle and a ton of heavy gear only cost $30 to check somehow.
thumbnail_IMG_5515.jpg

WCB

WKR
I just flew in from a deer hunt yesterday. FYI, antlers are TSA approved. My skull was cleaned of all meat and dried and then carried on the plane along with a cooler containing another meat filled skull and frozen deer meat. Besides one old Karen talking crap to me, I had no issues. I can't imagine the size bag or cooler required to check a deer head safely.

My gigantic Pelican case with my rifle and a ton of heavy gear only cost $30 to check somehow.
View attachment 438370
We flew back with (2) 30 Aoudad in one duffle bag full skuls and frozen capes. Unless you kill an absolute monster they dont take up very much space

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
We flew back with (2) 30 Aoudad in one duffle bag full skuls and frozen capes. Unless you kill an absolute monster they dont take up very much space
How exactly do you pack them safely so they don't get damaged? I would have much rather checked it but couldn't figure out a way. A duffle wrapped in clothes and sleeping bags seemed like it would surely get smashed with the handling they do.