Flow through suppressor on bolt gun

I’ve had wind in the face the last two range trips and I really don’t like driving home and having the smell of all the gas that was in my face stuck in my nostrils. I can’t see how a flow through or low back pressure can would make a huge difference but I’m curious if anyone has experience with them on bolt guns and can opine?

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
Have had this same question. Was going to purchase a lower back pressure suppressor (CAT WB) for some 22 cal bolt guns but wondered if I'd only see the theoretical downsides but none of the upsides you'd see if using it with an AR

dreadi

FNG
Flow through on bolt guns is a misuse of tech. You get less suppression with flow through and none of the benefits. If you're going out with your AR and putting a lot of rounds down range, they are great for keeping gas out of your face and nostrils. Some gun mfgs are making their bolt shrouds different to help mitigate rearward escaping gas.

E.Shell

FNG
Agree with the "wasted tech"...

Bolt guns and their brass gaskets seal amazingly well and there should be no gas at all, with or without a suppressor.

We were testing sub-sonic .300 Blackout loads in a Rem 700AAC, starting high and working down until the bullet did not reliably exit the bore. On those shots where the bullet stayed in the bore, there was a hiss when we opened the bolt and only then did the gas escape rearward.

waspocrew

WKR
I’ve never had gas in the face with my bolt guns and suppressors. ARs, sure. I wouldn’t go flow through for a bolt gun.

OP
wind gypsy
I don’t have issues with gas when the bolt is closed. It’s when the wind is in my face and the bolt is open. Even working the bolt fast there is enough that it can’t be good. General competition style rifle manipulation results in lots of time with bolt open and head in the gun as well.