fletching for broad heads

littlebuf

Banned
fletching up some arrows tonight and wondering how many of you line up your fletches with the blades on you broad heads?i do,i dont know if it makes that much of a difference but its just part of my fletching routine. you guys do it or do you think it doesn't make a difference?

Last edited:

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
Don't waste your time.

I spent a ton of time comparing three blade/four blade broadheads with three vane/four vane fletching and all of the combinations and my conclusion in the end was that I wasted a bunch of my own time.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't much matter but I do remember when it was all the hype to make sure they lined up perfectly. I don't pay any bit of attention to it any longer and never needed a reason why I should have.

a3dhunter

WKR
I don't have to have them lined up, but I want my broadheads in the same position on all arrows.
I've found to do that it's easier to line up a 3 blade broadhead with the blades.
When I was testing 5 different broadheads, I found at 50 yards my point of impact would change about 2-3" depending on alignment of broadhead. 2-3" isn't much, but it is a different point of impact. I can't tell you how many shots it took me to figure out if it was me or the alignment of the arrows, but lets just say I was shooting 80-100 shots a day and this was tested time and again over 2 weeks.
I finally had two groups of 4 arrows aligned differently, the center of each group is what I used to measure. Plenty of arrows had to be refletched and some arrows had to be tossed.
The only thing I could come up with is how the arrow came off the bow was the only thing that could matter.
My testing may have been flawed, I was shooting a Hoyt at the time. ;)

RyanD

FNG
I think if it makes you feel more confident in your setup then go for it. However I have done lots of testing with broadheads and different fletches and never noticed a difference lined up or not.

OR Archer

WKR
I do it for the simple fact I want all of my arrows to be the same when they go into my quiver. Its one less variable I have to worry about. For accuracy I think its much more important to make sure that the broadhead spins true than to align the blades to the vanes.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I would have to agree with OR Archer, it's just one less variable to rule out that could be different from arrow to arrow... With that said I used to try and do it just cuz I thought maybe it worked when I was like 15 but have since gone away from it although I have thought about going back just to not have fletching contact while having a full quiver... But I have also been around people who SWEAR they can't get good broadhead flight without em lined up... I have also tested and noticed no accuracy difference... But different strokes for different folks I guess...

I am OCD!!! I majored in MATH and STATISTS in college if that tells you my personality at all when it comes to things like this. Every arrow in my quiver has the EXACT same orientation when it comes to blade position VS fletchings. Whether that is in line opposite or some other CRAZY angle. THEY ALL ARE THE SAME. And it is based on which one I test shoot first :) OR what rest I am shooting.

B

bearguide

i agree /uniform makes sense / i weigh each one of my arrows also

Pond

FNG
I am OCD!!! I majored in MATH and STATISTS in college if that tells you my personality at all when it comes to things like this. Every arrow in my quiver has the EXACT same orientation when it comes to blade position VS fletchings. Whether that is in line opposite or some other CRAZY angle. THEY ALL ARE THE SAME. And it is based on which one I test shoot first :) OR what rest I am shooting.

I hate to say it but I have the same OCD prob! I have to have all my cock vanes going the same direction, pointed straight back and the blades in line with the vanes. Which means I cut new spots in the foam of my quivers to line everything up.

Pond

bohntr

WKR
I've completed quite a bit of testing on this exact theory. Using a Hooter Shooter (bow shooting machine) I learned a few things......first and foremost, it made absolutely no difference whether or not your blades were lined up with your vanes......at any yardage. In fact, with properly tuned bows and arrows of consistent spine, I found little to no difference between three and four bladed heads depending on the quality of the head. However, if it makes you feel better, line them up.....it won't make your arrows erratic either.