Fixed 6x sucks! 8x?

TaperPin

WKR
Actually, I love a 6x on an accurate mountain rifle - enough magnification for under 1/2moa accuracy, no power selector cutout weakening the tube, and 10-12oz so it’s less than half the weight of a lot of new scopes, and fixed power 1” scopes have a lot more MOAs of adjustment than 1” variables. It‘s also perfect for new shooters because never twisting the power knob is one less thing to think about.

However, it’s time to move on from the 6x all the way to a fixed 8x - older eyes need more magnification, stretching out my max yardage for big game this year from 450 to 600, and it’s good to experiment and try new things. In a handful of decades with the 6x no shots were missed from too much magnification, but a little incremental change will show if it was a good move or if 6x really is ideal.

Is anyone else shooting an 8x, or even a variable turned down or up to 8x?

Attachments

• 1B9187A7-D0F3-47B3-94CB-490E98161026.png
    1B9187A7-D0F3-47B3-94CB-490E98161026.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I have been fond of a fixed 10x for a while. For most of what I do it gives me everything I need and leaves me wanting very little if anything in a hunting situation. I’m also not hunting out west though…

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
I have been fond of a fixed 10x for a while. For most of what I do it gives me everything I need and leaves me wanting very little if anything in a hunting situation. I’m also not hunting out west though…
For a short time I had a fixed 12x scope and at first it seemed hard to pick things up quickly, but with practice it seemed quite natural - I wouldn‘t mind a 10x or 12x for antelope or coyote hunting.

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
How are you shooting (hitting) 600 yards with that scope?
lol It does sound pretty goofy.

At this point I’m optimistic, but there are no guarantees with this setup. The mid 1980s 1” tubed Leupolds guys were using shooting silhouette handled this vertical adjustment range fairly well, at least the guys I shot with didn’t have to monkey with them much. It’s fair to say 1” scopes just don’t have the big adjustment range needed for distances past this

I’m having an elevation knob installed on it if the internals can track ok for the limited adjustment range - there’s a good chance a 30 year old scope may need fresh seals to turn smoothly and Leupold may not support these old scopes, but there are guys out there keeping them alive.

10 mil scope mount to help keep adjustment somewhat in the middle. I‘ve always had 300 yards as my sight in range and that won’t change. Out to 400 I’ll keep using the Kentucky windage I’m used to. Between 400 and 600 the scope will have to dial the 7ish moa.

I still plan on a proper heavy 30mm tube long range scope, but this would be nice for a light mountain rifle.

rclouse79

WKR
I was thinking about switching to a fixed 6 or 10x from my current 4-16. I looked at some deer this weekend at 350 yards at 6x and at 10x. If I do end up going to a fixed power I will probably get the 10x.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
lol It does sound pretty goofy.

At this point I’m optimistic, but there are no guarantees with this setup. The mid 1980s 1” tubed Leupolds guys were using shooting silhouette handled this vertical adjustment range fairly well, at least the guys I shot with didn’t have to monkey with them much. It’s fair to say 1” scopes just don’t have the big adjustment range needed for distances past this

I’m having an elevation knob installed on it if the internals can track ok for the limited adjustment range - there’s a good chance a 30 year old scope may need fresh seals to turn smoothly and Leupold may not support these old scopes, but there are guys out there keeping them alive.

10 mil scope mount to help keep adjustment somewhat in the middle. I‘ve always had 300 yards as my sight in range and that won’t change. Out to 400 I’ll keep using the Kentucky windage I’m used to. Between 400 and 600 the scope will have to dial the 7ish moa.

I still plan on a proper heavy 30mm tube long range scope, but this would be nice for a light mountain rifle.

Leupold doesn’t do modifications anymore, including adding turrets.

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
Leupold doesn’t do modifications anymore, including adding turrets.
Not surprising - new leadership at the top avoids talking about durability and support, at least the interview I ran across. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are in a last ditch push to milk the name and sell. 🙂

Last edited:
OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
I was thinking about switching to a fixed 6 or 10x from my current 4-16. I looked at some deer this weekend at 350 yards at 6x and at 10x. If I do end up going to a fixed power I will probably get the 10x.
Even at 10x deer do look pretty small that far out. 🙂

prm

WKR
The current Leupold management is focused on “shareholder value”. He says that every time I hear him speak. Translated, chase short term fads, live off previous investments, and drive company into ground.

Wapiti1

WKR
I think you'll struggle to find an 8X that is light and has a usable turret. Most are 8X56 European makes that are fairly heavy and not setup for LR shooting. They are low light driven hunting scopes.

You'll have to bump up to 10X to find something. There are a few at that mag, but none are at or under a pound. I have used a friends 10X Schmidt and Bender. Sweet scope, but not made anymore. A little more mag at under 50 yards than I want, but not unusable. 50 and out, no problem.

Maybe try the SWFA 10X. Cheap enough to give it a try and not be out much.

Jeremy

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
Or, buy an SWFA 3-9 and tape it at 8X. Easy to fix if you don’t like it.
That 8x scope in the photo is on its way and I have a couple different options for target turets, but you never know - I may have to switch to a different scope.

ElPollo

WKR
I shoot 6 out to 250 yds, 9x when shooting paper. My old eyes want 10-12-16x these days.
I find myself liking high magnification when shooting small targets at the range and low magnification if shooting steel targets or at game. The low mag makes it quicker to get on target, see what happens after the shot, and get back on target. I hunted last year with an SWFA 6x and loved it. Have a 3-9 super chicken on my primary gun now and find myself using 5-6x for most shots. Like the scope, but I question if it’s worth the extra $$ over the 6x for my hunting.

Rich M

WKR
I find myself liking high magnification when shooting small targets at the range and low magnification if shooting steel targets or at game. The low mag makes it quicker to get on target, see what happens after the shot, and get back on target. I hunted last year with an SWFA 6x and loved it. Have a 3-9 super chicken on my primary gun now and find myself using 5-6x for most shots. Like the scope, but I question if it’s worth the extra $$ over the 6x for my hunting.
Use what feels right.

I shot my antelope at 350 yds w scope on 6x this year. No problem putting crosshairs on him.

It is the little dots and lines on targets that cry loudest for more magnification.

griller

FNG
Really enjoying this thread & reading everyone's feedback. As a 53 yr old man getting back into the woods for deer and hogs for the 1st time since 2015, things have changed both physically (my eyes) and optics gear-wise. I thought I'd be acquiring a new variable mag scope for my .260 bolt rifle this weekend but now I'm thinking a fixed 8x S&B Klassic might be the way to go since any shot I'll be taking is going to max at 250-300 yds.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’d love an 8x50 with the same specs and reticle as the 6x42 SWFA. That would be a sweet hunting scope for most my uses.

ElPollo

WKR
I agree on the 8x50. As much as I like the fixed 6 super chicken, I think the fixed scopes are a niche thing and are not an area we are likely to see a lot of development. The SWFA hits the super durable, great reticle, and inexpensive notes. But it could be smaller and could have a zero stop. But I’d be surprised if we see much investment there. I can see SWFA investing in upgrading the 3-15 because that seems to be the most popular range at the moment. Personally, I don’t find anything above 10x to be that useful in the field.

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
This was a fun experiment a guy did for Shooting Times with the same gun and different scope settings. There may be no difference in groups size between 6x and 8x, but it will be fun to find out

Attachments

• 92BA8B00-61C4-4593-A46A-560689FC9CE4.jpeg
    92BA8B00-61C4-4593-A46A-560689FC9CE4.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 26