Fixed 4 power scope with holdover reticle

rickyw

FNG
I would be interested in a fixed 4 power scope with a reticle that would allow holdovers or turrets for dialing. I don’t think a decent one exists. Am I right or am I right? It would be for my 35 Whelen mountain rifle that I use primarily for bears. Any ideas?

z987k

WKR
I don't think that exists. The leupold FX series doesn't have turrets you can dial. Or a reticle with holds.
The swfa 6x42 might as well not exist.

Bet bet is to probably find a lower power variable in FFP with a turret. The NXS2.5-10 isn't any heavier than most of the fixed power scopes.

BLJ

WKR

I was on the search for something similar to what you are describing and decided on the above scope.

I know Athlon and MOA are the wrong answers on this site but I’m going to give it try anyway. 😁

Last edited:

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I would be interested in a fixed 4 power scope with a reticle that would allow holdovers or turrets for dialing. I don’t think a decent one exists. Am I right or am I right? It would be for my 35 Whelen mountain rifle that I use primarily for bears. Any ideas?

I cannot imagine why one would need such a reticle or turrets for mountain bear hunting with a 35 Whelen. I am of the opinion there is way too much emphasis on dialing and reticles on this forum. Study ballistics and point blank ranges and you will be fine. I have big game hunted for almost 50 years (primarily eastern) and have never needed either. Your choice of a 4X scope is spot on! I have always been of the opinion a 35 Whelen is one of the finest calibers available for bear (especially black bear).

There's a lot of 1-4's on the market with BDC and Mil and MOA hash mark reticles. Just buy one of those, why does it need to be a fixed power that gains you nothing? This isn't 1980 anymore, quality variable power scopes are perfectly reliable. If it has to be fixed power put a tack weld on the magnification ring or duct tape it in that position.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

FNG
I cannot imagine why one would need such a reticle or turrets for mountain bear hunting with a 35 Whelen. I am of the opinion there is way too much emphasis on dialing and reticles on this forum. Study ballistics and point blank ranges and you will be fine. I have big game hunted for almost 50 years (primarily eastern) and have never needed either. Your choice of a 4X scope is spot on! I have always been of the opinion a 35 Whelen is one of the finest calibers available for bear (especially black bear).
Just nice to have the ability to stretch out to 350-400 with confidence if hunting something else.
There's a lot of 1-4's on the market with BDC and Mil and MOA hash mark reticles. Just buy one of those, why does it need to be a fixed power that gains you nothing? This isn't 1980 anymore, quality variable power scopes are perfectly reliable. If it has to be fixed power put a tack weld on the magnification ring or duct tape it in that position.
The simplicity. But I’m not married to the idea. Just looking around

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
What about a prismatic scope?
There's a tonne of options in the 3-5x range, most have holdover reticles and you have a lot of different price points and features to choose from.

Fixed mag scopes are few and far between nowadays.

Buzby

WKR
An ACOG is the only one that I know of. I’d agree, the trijicon 1-4s are the way to go. You could save a bit of money and get the Huron or Ascent over a Credo if you don’t need illumination.

Buzby

WKR
You can always dial a turret scope to your MPBR zero and leave it. Then have the option to dial in past your MPBR. Same with a drop reticle. It’s there if you want it, but if you never use it, you’re not out anything.

There’s something to be said for a simple setup though. I get that. I don’t think I’d ever buy a capped duplex scope again though.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

FNG
Get a 6x42mm or 6x36mm Leupold ordered up from Leupold and request the LR dots in it for your load and ballistic data for your rifle. I have never felt handicapped with a 6x for close-up shots.
I’ve been tempted by the 6 power. But last year I put a second shot into a bear while it was on the run, 40 yards in front and crossing my path, with a scope set on 3x. I’m not sure I would want a 6

TaperPin

WKR
You are in luck - for $125 plus $20 per dot, you can have a custom reticle made and installed on some brands of fixed scope. This outfit is well though of in the benchrest community, and keep in mind it’s one person doing the work and rumor has it she may be slow to respond to emails.

I’ve been tempted by the 6 power. But last year I put a second shot into a bear while it was on the run, 40 yards in front and crossing my path, with a scope set on 3x. I’m not sure I would want a 6
Leupold makes a 4x scope still. Maybe their custom shop can do it on the 4x also!!

TaperPin

WKR
This isn’t for everyone, and your scope may not dial well, but don’t overlook the Stoney point target knobs that simply replace normal scope caps.EFC50C40-A98F-45C1-B2D9-1A9B9069099E.jpeg

TaperPin

WKR
Another option is finding a scope with target knobs and sending it to that same place and have them swap the target knobs onto your scope. In the past the custom shop would add target knobs to any scope, but before the custom shop closed the price went way up into ridiculous territory.

That outfit deals primarily with target scopes, so they may have one intact target knob assembly that would fit a Leupold.

Another option is finding a scope with target knobs and sending it to that same place and have them swap the target knobs onto your scope.
This is the best option. I'm continually amazed there aren't more options in the low weight scope game that enable drop compensation. All you'd need is a simple turret or a reticle with mil hash marks. Doing both would add maybe $30 to the total price. I'd buy 10 of them.

TaperPin

WKR
This is the best option. I'm continually amazed there aren't more options in the low weight scope game that enable drop compensation. All you'd need is a simple turret or a reticle with mil hash marks. Doing both would add maybe $30 to the total price. I'd buy 10 of them.
I agree, with the popularity of dialing it would seem to make sense to offer target knobs across the board.