Fit of Merino Wool Over Time

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question. Just picked up a few pieces of Forst Lite Wick tops and they are just a bit big on me. Going down a size is an option but I definitely don’t have the body to be a Under Armor model and dislike tight layers. So my question is, will these FL merino tops naturally shrink a bit with washing and use over the years? I’ll be taking care of them of course per manufacturers instruction. Have you found that no matter how you wash/dry that they’ll shrink some? Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I have a merino wool First Lite base layer that I've washed and dried at least 20x and it's exactly they same.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Some shrinks in the drier some doesn't. I air dry all my merino and have had good luck with it not shrinking.

2muchhp

WKR
I have Firstlite from wick to furnace for 3-4 years now. Seems to fit the same as new. I use Marino wash and air dry only.

WKR
I had some really early Kuiu stuff shrink on me. The latest ultra merino from Kuiu and my smartwool/wooly stuff with higher synthetic content has been fine.

Shraggs

WKR
Without heat it won’t shrink. Some heavy pieces may stretch if hanging dry, so follow recommended lye flat so it stays the same.

I’m not advocating drying in a machine. My wife didn’t know and dried some many years ago and easily shrunk 2 sizes and not useable.

Ideally your base should be tight or touching your skin, not compression by any means. If a smaller size achieves that I would most definitely exchange it.