First year with the recurve

renagde

WKR
I remember looking through Bowhunter magazines as a kid and drooling over the Black Widow ads in the back. For whatever reason, I always wanted one. I started shooting a compound when I was 10 and killed my first deer when I was 12. I have put tons of deer on the ground with my compound and yet in the back of my mind I always wanted to give traditional archery a go. This year I set up a new Mathews V3x 33 with every new/best accessory I could get. Black Gold Dual Trac sight, Hamskea Epsilon....yada yada yada the list goes on and on. In no time I was grouping 5 arrows at 120 yards and had it tuned to shoot broadheads out to 100. Just seemed to easy. I took that setup on one hunt and decided I need more of a challenge. I sold all my compound stuff, found a used Black Widow PSA Carbon in the Rokslide classifieds and bought it. I was so enamored with that bow from the moment I opened the package, what an absolute piece of art. Fast forward to 5 1/2 weeks later, I put an arrow through this 8 point that decided to wander too close. In complete honesty, I was not expecting to go hunting with it this soon but thanks to all the information on this forum, Aron Snyder, Push, the deep dark web in general, it has really accelerated the learning curve. I don't know how long I'll ride this train but all I can say is this bow is hella more fun to shoot than any bow I've previously owned.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    729.8 KB · Views: 102
Congrats man, great buck. Although I have never shot anything but traditional. The feeling you get when it all comes together is hard to top.

Sapcut

WKR
Awesome. You’re ruirnt now. Rarely do you hear stories in the opposite direction where the more rewarding fun is not the trad bow.

I was fortunate to totally skip the compound scene altogether. I vividly remember sitting in the hall before a wildlife mgmt. class at Auburn University in 1990 enviously gazing at a Black Widow brochure. Determined to get one, it wasn’t until 2007 I finally owned a PSAX. It’s still one fantastic weapon.

herd90

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! Nice one!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

nevadabugle

WKR
Classified Approved
This story makes me happy. Great job man!

I wish i could get more guys to do exactly what you did! Traditional Archery would grow if more folks just gave it a try.

congratulations on the kill. When you say “wandered too close” what was your range?

You are the perfect example that a good archer and hunter can get it done no matter the equipment!

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
congratulations on the kill. When you say “wandered too close” what was your range?

You are the perfect example that a good archer and hunter can get it done no matter the equipment!
I wasn’t planning to shoot past 25 yards. I have been practicing out to 40 but I’m not comfortable there yet.

kjklump

FNG
Congratulations. I took a similar journey. Trad just hits different when it comes together.