First Wyoming elk hunt….projectile selection

I’m going on my first ever elk hunt in Wyoming in November. It’s a cow elk hunt and I’m probably over thinking things as I tend to do but I’m looking for feedback on projectile selection.

I will be taking my 300SAUM Improved with a 21” barrel since I’m told we will be doing a lot of walking and I’ll have a suppressor attached 100% of the time. It can shoot 185 class bullets at a hair under 3000fps.

I have the following projectiles available to hand load:

• 185 Juggernauts
  • 190 ABLR
  • 195 TMK
  • 195 ELDM
  • 200 Terminal Ascent
  • 200.20x Hybrids
My guide said shots could be from 50 yards to 500+ yards.

Any feedback on these is appreciated.

@Formidilosus any thoughts?

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I'll go against the grain here and say I'm taking a 338 Edge with 265 Lazers on a NM cow elk hunt this year. Overkill...? No such thing.

Any of those are going to work and a cow elk or any elk as it's is just a big deer. A little thicker skin and bones but not bullet proof.

My BIL is taking a 6.5 PRC with 140 ELD-M's. It very accurate and tested to 500 yards with enough pop when it gets there.

That Terminal Ascent would be high on my list. I shot some a few years ago and they were great but never killed with them. They're just too hard to find IMO.

OP
Mike D Texas
I'll go against the grain here and say I'm taking a 338 Edge with 265 Lazers on a NM cow elk hunt this year. Overkill...? No such thing.

Any of those are going to work and a cow elk or any elk as it's is just a big deer. A little thicker skin and bones but not bullet proof.

My BIL is taking a 6.5 PRC with 140 ELD-M's. It very accurate and tested to 500 yards with enough pop when it gets there.

That Terminal Ascent would be high on my list. I shot some a few years ago and they were great but never killed with them. They're just too hard to find IMO.

I would lean toward the Terminal Ascent as well but I have very limited experience shooting animals with them to know what to truly expect. I’ve only seen one animal killed with them and it was a red deer hine (hind?) shot with my 6.5 SAUM Improved with a 130 grain TA at 3250. Shot was a touch over 200 yards and she ran into some heavy cedar and blood trail was non-existent even though she only made it 25 yards from the shot location.

I’m currently leaning toward the 195 TMK or ELDM with the 200.20x as a close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Any of those will do the trick.
As stated above if one holds and accuracy edge or better yet a confidence edge due to your personal experience that would be my inclination.

I've been happy with Terminal Ascent. They should perform well at a variety of distances and have grouped well for me. I shot a bull elk that went no more than 5 yards...but the shot was an 18 yard frontal.

I think those are all good choices. If you're concerned about significant meat loss, you may want to go with the Terminal Ascent and ABLR. The ELDM and TMK could be more destructive as witnessed in other threads.

I've killed one large bull elk with a 175 TA out of a .308. The shot was 80 yards offhand at a steep downhill angle. Impact velocity was approximately 2575 fps. The bullet entered behind the shoulder above the midline on the near side. It exited after busting a rib just above the armpit on the far side.

The bull dropped to both front knees, staggered back up, turned around, and walked around 50 yards before tipping over dead. The blood trail was very significant. There was little bloodshot if I recall, and the exit was about the size of a ping pong ball. There was very little meat loss.

shot placement, accuracy kills Elk, not bullet size. Pick the round that you shoot best and groups the best.
Don't overthink it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’m going on my first ever elk hunt in Wyoming in November. It’s a cow elk hunt and I’m probably over thinking things as I tend to do but I’m looking for feedback on projectile selection.

I will be taking my 300SAUM Improved with a 21” barrel since I’m told we will be doing a lot of walking and I’ll have a suppressor attached 100% of the time. It can shoot 185 class bullets at a hair under 3000fps.

I have the following projectiles available to hand load:

• 185 Juggernauts
  • 190 ABLR
  • 195 TMK
  • 195 ELDM
  • 200 Terminal Ascent
  • 200.20x Hybrids
My guide said shots could be from 50 yards to 500+ yards.

Any feedback on these is appreciated.

@Formidilosus any thoughts?

Any of those will do, though the TA is terminally different than the others. The 195gr TMK is destructive and extremely effective. I also really like the 185gr Juggernaut- though maybe not for reasons that matter to most. It is very consistent and stable, and produces good wounds.

OP
Mike D Texas
Any of those will do, though the TA is terminally different than the others. The 195gr TMK is destructive and extremely effective. I also really like the 185gr Juggernaut- though maybe not for reasons that matter to most. It is very consistent and stable, and produces good wounds.

Thanks Form. I knew the TA would be less destructive than the others mentioned.

My first choice is the TMK, but I would be interested to know what you are referring to with the Juggernaut.

That’s actually what bullet I had the reamer set up for on this chamber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
but I would be interested to know what you are referring to with the Juggernaut.

That’s actually what bullet I had the reamer set up for on this chamber.

The Juggernauts are a thick jacket version, and behave as most do with 4-5 inches of penetration then fragmentation.

Externally they are probably the most predictable 30cal bullet made. Absolutely consistent in flight regardless of conditions and zero issues through transonic.

OP
Mike D Texas
The Juggernauts are a thick jacket version, and behave as most do with 4-5 inches of penetration then fragmentation.

Externally they are probably the most predictable 30cal bullet made. Absolutely consistent in flight regardless of conditions and zero issues through transonic.
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Would you be comfortable that they would upset reliably, or would you recommend one of the others that are known to upset quicker instead?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Would you be comfortable that they would upset reliably, or would you recommend one of the others that are known to upset quicker instead?

Have killed a bunch of animal with them. No issues.

Sako76

WKR

Unknown Munitions just did load development for my Ga Precision in 300 WSM, they used a 185 Juggernaut and it shoots amazing! No game taken with this rifle but hopefully this will change this fall.