First time Western Hunt

ddel23

FNG
Don’t want to overlap any threads, but I feel like this is something I don’t see much people talk about. I am from PA and have hunted for 15 years, have all the gear you would expect of a eastern hunter. Still in college, but planning an OTC elk hunt this upcoming year. Where would you spend your money, and where would you skimp to make do? I have a great sleeping bag and tent so far, now wondering if I invest in a nice pack, or upgrade my 8x28mm binoculars, or make do with cheap. What gear do you guys find to be most important, and where can I save a few bucks? Thanks

Get good boots. Are you packing in and tent camping or tent camping at the truck. If you are rifle hunting maybe optics next, if archery depends on the unit.

OP
D

ddel23

FNG
Should have specified more, planning first, maybe second rifle. Was planning on packing in a few miles and setting up a base camp, and then hunting from there. I don’t have a stove, but have a 4 season tent and have camped in PA under 10 degrees and been comfortable. I understand that I need good gear of each, but I am more concerned of how “good” is good. Will a $300 pair of binos be okay, or does it make sense to spend a grand? Do I need a spotting scope, or can I get away with just binos, etc.?

OP
D

ddel23

FNG
Get good boots. Are you packing in and tent camping or tent camping at the truck. If you are rifle hunting maybe optics next, if archery depends on the unit.
Was going to pack in a tent and setup a base camp. Have one or two more guys coming with to help pack in. Would you recommend investing in a biggest set of binos, or could you make do with 8x28mm

Traveler

WKR
I would invest in a good pack if walking in. I have never been a high dollar optics guy, I think there is a point of deminishing returns.

Never skimp on boots. Look into an inreach or spot device.

Also, assuming you are talking about CO. 1st season isn’t OTC, May be (probably) able to get a leftover though

I fault to the “B’s”. Boots, binos and bags (sleep system and packs). If you have a good bag and tent maybe add a good pad. Then I would look at boots and a pack. Last would be binos. Unless you are going to be a glass master on the top of ridge. No real reason to go crazy either. Buy used, check cheap stuff thread and stay in the budget you have.

johnw

FNG
I think Traveler summed it up, InReach, boots, pack. First rifle can be really hit or miss with weather.

Part of the fun is starting with whatever gear you already have and figuring out what would be worth improving after the hunt, getting to test what you already have and then slowing upgrading it over time.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Should have specified more, planning first, maybe second rifle. Was planning on packing in a few miles and setting up a base camp, and then hunting from there. I don’t have a stove, but have a 4 season tent and have camped in PA under 10 degrees and been comfortable. I understand that I need good gear of each, but I am more concerned of how “good” is good. Will a $300 pair of binos be okay, or does it make sense to spend a grand? Do I need a spotting scope, or can I get away with just binos, etc.?
Binos vs spottting scope I think comes down to area and target. Are you just trying to confirm that brown spot is an elk 1.5mi away=binos or is that bull 1mi away 280 or 320 cause I only shoot 320s=spotter. The terrain will dictacte which you need also, thicker - tighter terrain go with binos. I would bet thousands of elk are killed each year by hunters with no spotting scope.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have been hunting elk for the best part of the last 50 years and have taken dozens of elk over that time. Good boots are probably the most important piece of elk hunting equipment, and good binoculars come in second. You can absolutely "make do" with an inexpensive pack for a while, but in future years you might wish to get a better one if you are carrying heavy loads. Hunting from a truck camp or hunting from a spike camp should not require daily use of a large pack, but a nice daypack will get constant use.
8X binoculars works for most elk hunts. It is good resolution that matters most, not the power. It is usually a good idea to buy the best binoculars that you can afford. You do not need a spotting scope.
Going to an OTC unit for your first hunt is going to be a real eye opener. Good luck!

Longdraw

FNG
Hands down boots can make or break a hunt. Don’t skimp on the ole Leather personnel carriers. Kenetrek or Schnees

Also planning first western trip coming from the whitetail woods and my big upgrades were boots and a pack with meat hauling "shelf" that has already been used for deer a few times. Any other big upgrades will wait till after the first trip and the budget recovers.
Also if you are packing in don't forget something to filter water with.

I can’t disagree with any of the above. However, I will say on a limited budget, I’ve always agreed with the advice: buy tags over gear.

The education is more valuable than anything else, and you’ll learn what you NEED for next time. Buy boots that won’t destroy your feet; sounds like you know how to stay warm… have a great time and expect to struggle in a fun way!

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Good Boots and a good pack with a frame. Elk are heavy and a proper frame makes the packout more tolerable. Glass can come in time as you decide if you like it and want to continue hunting in the west. Clothing can be pieced together, material matters more than the pattern. By synthetics and wool and keep it to earth tones.