First time turkey bowhunting

Hey fellas,

I have historically focused on bowhunting big game but I was recently invited on to some private here in CA to hunt turkeys.

Can y'all share some tips for an overwhelmed noobie? I obviously can't learn all of the calls in the next month but maybe there are 1 or 2 that I should focus on? Can I run and gun or is a blind with decoys the way to go? Are there any specifics regarding the behavior of western turkeys that I should know about? What broadheads should I get?

Anything helps. Thanks boys.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
Quality decoys,DSD. Large cutting 3 blade or 4 blade mechanical heads or head loppers, but you need specific arrow set up for head loppers!

A blind is drastically easier to kill a bird from, running and gunning is more fun but be prepared to get busted trying to draw. Being on private a blind set up where turkeys frequent will be most producitve for sure.

Keep the calling simple, a pot type call in slate or crystal is easy to learn.

Not sure of the terrain you will be hunting but Cottonwood bottoms are roosting magnets otherwise big Ponderosa.

Grim Reaper whitetail special of spitfire max are good choices for heads.

pirogue

WKR
Unless those turkeys are tame and not afraid of humans, run and gun is not usually successful. They will pick out movement to easy, drawing your bow, while you think you’re hid.

JjamesIII

WKR
Blinds are great for field edges- the most productive but boring way to get a bird with a bow.
If you want to take the game to the bird, set up for the shot is very important. I will intentionally put a very large tree about ten yards or less in front of me, between the decoys and my position. I like to anticipate the direction of approach the turkey takes so that he will pass by the very large tree. That’s when I draw which is 90% of the difficulty in getting one with a bow. Once he steps past the tree to your decoys - it’s over. If you don’t make a plan for how you can draw unseen, you’ll get busted almost every time. Hoping for him to strut and face away is another option to draw on him while his fan is blocking his vision, but that is a crap shoot. They don’t always give you that shot opportunity.
If you can see his head, don’t even move a muscle, you WILL get busted. They aren’t deer, they have no patience if something looks wrong, they bail out.
- also worth mentioning- mouth calls. Don’t try screwing around with a friction call outside of hunting in a blind. You can’t be ready with a bow and run a friction call at the same time.

Kade206

FNG
I've done turkey with bow and I use a combo of run and gun and call. Works real good with a partner. We call and head toward the birds then when we get close one of us posts up in their predicted path while the other moves ahead of them and calls. This sets you up for a shot as they cross in front following the call. Good camo and quite movements are key. The shooter can use a mouth call if needed to help direct wayward birds back in range.

A thin lightweight leafy suit helps a ton in not being spotted. Combined with a jake/hen decoy pair on stationary setups during the late morning/mid-day lull can be very effective.

When runnning & gunning with a bow a tripod for spotter with camo/ leafy blind cloth zip tied to 2 sides works great for drawing your bow behind. I remove the pan head assembly( could leave for camera if you're filming). Compact & quick to set up. I go light for chasing on public land ..marsupial chest rig w/ kifaru hydro harness on back for tripod & an avianx lcd decoy if I think I'll need one. Leafy suit with a camo athletic sleeve to keep string out of leafy jacket.
Private land I break out the pop up blind and DSD decoys.

Wheels

WKR
I have shot several with a bow out of blinds and also going to them. I have a Ghostblind Manscape that straps to the limbs of my bow that works great, but don't think they are available anymore. If running and gunning its best to get some elevation change between you and the bird and draw before they pop over.
51CHPOuIENL._AC_.jpg