First time to the Frank Church Wilderness

I won't mention species or unit, but I am headed to the Frank for the first time in September for a 10 day solo backpack hunt. I'd love to hear about your anecdotal experience from the Frank. What non game critters can I expect to see? What does the weather look like in early September? Y'all got mosquitos up there? Share photos! Visualizing the hunt is huge for me and any insight would be great, thanks!

Weather can be sunny and warm in the afternoons and brisk in the mornings. Snow isn't out of the question if it is stormy. If there is any standing water around the mosquitoes can be brutal. You should be able to see the usual, chipmunks, squirrels, I've seen quite a few pine martens in the Big Creek area.
It's an absolute beautiful, miserable country all at once. Best of luck! Keep us updated.

Mike 338

WKR
Maybe hot, maybe cold, maybe snow. Rocky. Lots of burnt areas. Steep but not Colorado steep. Just sore leg steep. I wouldn't "expect" to see any animals but there are deer, elk, coyotes, bear, Martin, wolves, cottontails, mountain lion, grouse and probably other stuff. Often times no animals. It's about as wild as you'd want.

Fires are starting to pop up all over Idaho. That can sometimes put a real damper on any kind of glassing. The SF,MF and main Salmon are real big smoke corridors.

252to208

FNG
I have gone in to shed hunt in april'ish the last two years planning to hunt in 2025 and I would say plan your water system well bring and extra 3-4L bladder unless you love doing big elevation just to get water. Not sure where you'll be in the Frank but its been a long hot summer and not the biggest snow year out here so if you stumble on a trickle fill up on water. I plan to bring my little titanium poop trowel to open an area to collect water on those little seeps only adds an oz to the load but is super handy.

It will be hot, well at least the last 4 Septembers and even October it’s been hot back in there. Prepare to go days without seeing any wildlife as the game in there is very sparse, bring a fly rod as the fishing is really good in the river/ creeks, spike out as high as you can, get a wolf tag as you will probably hear them.