First time Mule Deer Hunter - Colorado

I’m hopefully going to be hunting a very steep mule deer unit the first week of archery season in colorado.

I’m very very new to this western stuff, so I’m just looking for tips on what I should be looking for while e scouting. I’m hopefully going to have a weekend scouting trip This summer, but e scouting mostly.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

The terrain tends to be much more steep and rugged than it seems on maps or Google Earth.

Last edited:
What kind of buck are you looking for? Areas that offer potentially better success probably won't have monsters showing up very often, but going after young bucks won't teach you anything about old buck behavior. Gotta pick your poison.

OP
J
What kind of buck are you looking for? Areas that offer potentially better success probably won't have monsters showing up very often, but going after young bucks won't teach you anything about old buck behavior. Gotta pick your poison.
I’m looking for any legal buck this year. Baby steps!

nobody

WKR
I’m looking for any legal buck this year. Baby steps!
If all you’re looking for is a legal buck, there’s probably no need to go super steep and deep. You can kill a two point by driving roads in any deer unit with decent deer numbers. That’s a ton of work for a yearling!

That said, if you want to just see decent deer (3 years old +), I can see going steep and deep. If you’re going to go through the work, set your sights a little higher to start, you might be surprised!

This was the first really good e-scouting video I’ve ever seen, and it’s broke down in a really easy way to follow. Some of it is specific to goHUNT maps, but lots of the principles holds true across the board. Brady Miller is a modern mule deer master, second only to Robby Denning in the modern world IMO. He’s a straight killer and knows how to get it done, so his tips have proven out to me as I’ve started to apply them. Good luck.

OP
J
If all you’re looking for is a legal buck, there’s probably no need to go super steep and deep. You can kill a two point by driving roads in any deer unit with decent deer numbers. That’s a ton of work for a yearling!

That said, if you want to just see decent deer (3 years old +), I can see going steep and deep. If you’re going to go through the work, set your sights a little higher to start, you might be surprised!

This was the first really good e-scouting video I’ve ever seen, and it’s broke down in a really easy way to follow. Some of it is specific to goHUNT maps, but lots of the principles holds true across the board. Brady Miller is a modern mule deer master, second only to Robby Denning in the modern world IMO. He’s a straight killer and knows how to get it done, so his tips have proven out to me as I’ve started to apply them. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

Ucsdryder

WKR
The terrain tends to be much more steep and rugged than it seems on maps or Google Earth.

I’ve mother effed google earth more than once for this reason. Once when I couldn’t go back up and was scared to go down. Sure looked like a great access point on google earth.

If you’re going for steep and deep, I’d suggest utilizing a trail system on OnX. Just because if you aren’t on a trail, the deadfall may make a lot of areas take way longer to maneuver than what you may anticipate depending on the unit. Once the trail gets you deep, then zoom in to find a manageable steep to get you off the trail and away from people.

ToolMann

WKR
I’ve mother effed google earth more than once for this reason. Once when I couldn’t go back up and was scared to go down. Sure looked like a great access point on google earth.
Me too. It is a bad feeling too. I've gotten a little better at reading the terrain e-scouting and being able to picture what is actually there, but it still bites me often enough.

OP
J
Me too. It is a bad feeling too. I've gotten a little better at reading the terrain e-scouting and being able to picture what is actually there, but it still bites me often enough.

Any tips to figure out what is manageable versus impossible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vegetation can be tricky sometimes, use different mapping software or seasons to check for color changes. Id suggest you get VERY familiar with a single mountain range that has some different slopes, bowls, and ravines and use the topo for reference. Then compare everything new you see to that. Sometimes what you see in a 3D picture is way more inviting than when you see the lines almost stacked on a topo map.

If you’re going for steep and deep, I’d suggest utilizing a trail system on OnX. Just because if you aren’t on a trail, the deadfall may make a lot of areas take way longer to maneuver than what you may anticipate depending on the unit. Once the trail gets you deep, then zoom in to find a manageable steep to get you off the trail and away from people.

these two pieces of advice are very true. I'll say this. Don't get discouraged. backpack hunting is a challenge mentally just as much as physically, from a hunting aspect just as much as a hiking aspect. Most backpacking is done from trails that typically are maintained. when you start hunting you go off trail and the adventure really begins.

Have fun, I love backpack hunting and Colorado is beautiful with lots of opportunity. Good Luck.

OP
J
Thanks a lot! I’m very excited, but trying to stay realistic. Going to keep getting in shape and continue to scout!

warrior

FNG
Definitely some tricks to alter Google earth and better understand the terrain for navigation as well as tools to identify vegetation and shadows. Not every basin holds deer. Be prepared to move to option B and C.
Get comfortable...TRIPOD !! and Glass.

Mish-pop

FNG
If you find yourself in that steep terrain make sure that tripod can be used as a walking stick. Sure helps sometimes.

Schmo

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll be hunting muleys for my first time this year in Montana. Does a Wiser Precision quick stix with a 3rd leg compare to a tripod for glassing?

Sharpio

FNG
I tend to always look for the most remote areas of a unit I want to hunt and figure I could get away from people if I do that but I am pretty sure that is what everyone does now. Take time looking over the unit you want to hunt and find spots others may over look.

poboy2214

FNG

You’ve got to be able to read topo maps, and imo you have to have had one of those oh $hit moments to recognize what is too steep. I’d start by looking at the contours and then switch to google earth to get a better look at the vegetation and deadfall situation.