First Time Hunting NM Mulies

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey guys, don't worry I'm not here asking for your spots. I'll try to figure that out myself! I finally drew a Sept. archery deer tag for Nm Jemez mountains. My plan is to get off the roads and hunt hard from Sept. 1st to the 8th. I want the ability to stay a couple miles back if a target is acquired and not have to go in/out every day. I will also be making a trip or two in July/August to get a better feel for the area and might answer my own questions.
My first question is what is the water situation typically like there in Sept? Should I just plan on leaving the truck with enough to get me through or are water sources available in most areas?

I'm also wondering about ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes. Are they something you pay mind to or mostly a non-issue? (I got smoked by chiggers yesterday scouting for whitetail and it got me thinking lol)

Rain gear... I know weather can be unpredictable but do storms just pop up often? Would you spend the money on high end rain gear or could I get by with something cheap & light like frog toggs?

Tents. I've been planning to get a Tiger Wall tent that if needed is light enough to carry in with me. I wouldn't be opposed to going tentless if bugs or Un forecasted rain aren't going to ruin my night but that's where my ignorance shows.
Planning to stay around 8k-10k ft if that makes any difference in these answers.

Also welcome to any other hunting or camping advice as I take on this awesome opportunity.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the area you're going into but I've hunted early season a few times in NM. The heat can be pretty bad during the day and I've only had to deal with flies during the day and a little mosquitoes during the night when sleeping without cover.

You can't pack enough water obviously for your hunt, but I would dang sure make sure you have quite a bit at your vehicle. I prefer a gravity system, like platypus for filtering, where you have a dirty bag and clean bag.

I use a single wall tent with a trekking pole with an extension for packing in. You won't need a heavy duty sleeping bag that time of year. It's a good idea to take something for cramping, liquid IV, Pedialyte packets or something.

I've hunted the mountains in unit 45 early and some of the eastern sand dune type areas in early as well. Send me a PM if you have any questions. The biggest advice I would give after taking a first timer last year, don't pack duplicate items, just load fresh batteries and don't take spares, one extra pair of underwear and socks is all you need and the sea to summit soap leaves are your friend, and if you're on the fence about an item then you most likely don't need it.

OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm not familiar with the area you're going into but I've hunted early season a few times in NM. The heat can be pretty bad during the day and I've only had to deal with flies during the day and a little mosquitoes during the night when sleeping without cover.

You can't pack enough water obviously for your hunt, but I would dang sure make sure you have quite a bit at your vehicle. I prefer a gravity system, like platypus for filtering, where you have a dirty bag and clean bag.

I use a single wall tent with a trekking pole with an extension for packing in. You won't need a heavy duty sleeping bag that time of year. It's a good idea to take something for cramping, liquid IV, Pedialyte packets or something.

I've hunted the mountains in unit 45 early and some of the eastern sand dune type areas in early as well. Send me a PM if you have any questions. The biggest advice I would give after taking a first timer last year, don't pack duplicate items, just load fresh batteries and don't take spares, one extra pair of underwear and socks is all you need and the sea to summit soap leaves are your friend, and if you're on the fence about an item then you most likely don't need it.
All good info. Was looking at the Tiger wall as a light weight tent that’ll keep those mosquitoes off me at night.
I actually just bought the platypus filter a few weeks ago so I’m glad you like it.
Also got a 30* UL sleeping bag as I figured that would be plenty for that early in the year.
I’ll look in to the sea to summit leaves as I’ve never heard of them!

I’ve been hunting the Jemez since I was 12 years old. The only place to get away from roads will be in the wilderness. No need to pack in anywhere since there are logging roads everywhere and you will not get away from roads. Use them to your advantage. Don’t mean to burst your bubble but the mule deer herd there is not very good. Hasn’t been for years. I see a few more here and there but nothing like it was.