First time, equipment list how am I doing

So I have never even backpacked before much less a hunting backpacking trip. I have boned out a deer before and packed them to the truck so at least I have that under my belt. Just putting my list togther and seeing how it looks. Hunting will be mid-late sept in washington cascade high country. This is what I have so far and what I plan on taking on the hunt. Kifaru T2 pack, kifaru 20 deg slick bag, jetboil, tarptent rainshadow 2, havalon pitanta, buck vangaurd. Kiui guide jacket in vias, kuiu belt, kuiu ballcap in vias,first lite llano in Max-1, First lite chama in Max-1, First lite allegheny, 1 pair smart wool socks (wearing one pair as well) garmin rhino 130, not sure of the brand but headlamp that takes same batteries as rhino, asolo sasslong boots. What Im looking at getting to complete my pack equipment.. kuiu attack pants in olive, kuiu merino beanie/neck gaitor, kuiu spindrift, first lite or other merino boxer briefs packing one/wearing 1 pair, water filter msr hyperflow, 2L dromlite for pack, 10L drom for camp supply(taking up empty), rain gear sitka stormfron pants/jacket, sitka shooters gloves, OR verglas gaitors, caribou or tag gamebags, and ridgerest solite pad. So what should I change or left out? Thanks

dotman

WKR
First suggestion is to make it into a list by section such as cloths, sleep system, food, etc broken out with only one item per line. Think resume so it is quick and easy to follow.

Last edited:
OP
pyroducksx3
What I have
Pack- kifaru T2
Sleeping bag- kifaru slick 20 deg
stove- jetboil
tent- tarptent rainshadow 2
knives- havalon piranta, buck vanguard

Clothes
base layers-First lite LLano top
first lite chama top
first lite allegheny bottoms
socks packing one pair, wearing one pair smartwool hiking
Outer layers-
kuiu guide jacket in vias
belt- kuiu
hat kuiu ballcap in vias
other equipment
gps-rhino
headlamp- cant remember brand but takes same batteries as rhino
boots- asolo sasslong

Equipment/clothes I havent yet purchased but am looking at getting
Clothes
pants- kuiu attack pants in plive
midlayer- kuiu spindrift
hats-kuiu merino beanie with kuiu neck gaitor
underwear- first lite or other merino boxer briefs (wear one pair pack one pair)
raingear- sitka stormfrom lite pants/jacket
gloves-sitka shooters gloves
gaitors- OR verglas
water filter-msr hyperflow
water bladders- msr 2L dromlite for pack, 10L reg MSR dromedary for camp supply (packing empty)
gamebags- caribou or tags
sleeping pad- ridgerest solite

There!!! Now it looks easier to orientate through! I would go with the KUIU Chugach raingear over the sitka personally. For a sleeping pad I had it with my foam type and upgraded this year to an EXPED Synmat UL7!!!! AWESOME!! Best nights sleep I have ever had...better than most beds I have slept in!!! I am a big fan of First Lites Clothing!!

gamebags--- CARIBOU EVERY DAY FOR ME!!! Won't go anywhere without them!!! Thanks TED!!

I would rather have KUIUs guide gloves over the Sitka gloves. Sitka ones catch EVERYTHING for me.

OP
pyroducksx3
I agree on the kuiu vs the sitka but at 550$ for the kuiu I can't make it happen. The sitka stuff I can get a set of for a significant discount, the sitka gloves are more like the mechanix gloves (the jetstream goles by sitka are similiar to the guide gloves. I will look into the exped.

Ok checked out the exped and it looks awesome but maybe a next year purchase its $$

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Man you have a better setup then most guys that start out, i wish i had that stuff when i was starting. But its good to go with the good stuff right away! Saves money in the long run, and makes everything that much better. Looks like you have all the main stuff, just need to adjust to suit your needs.

Check out redram for some good, and cheaper merino boxers.

Also you may want a pad with a higher r value depending on the temps your expecting. One thing for sure is you will get cold pretty easily if you dont have that insulation underneath you. I too have a Closed cell foam pad, you may look at getting a short inflatable one to go on top if its cold, its also way more comfortable.

Last edited:
OP
pyroducksx3
So I'm dropping the msr hyperflow and replacing it with a platypus zipbag and Sawyer in-line filter also switching the 2l dromlite to a 4L so this is how it looks

What I have
Pack- kifaru T2
Sleeping bag- kifaru slick 20 deg
stove- jetboil
tent- tarptent rainshadow 2
knives- havalon piranta, buck vanguard

Clothes
base layers-First lite LLano top
first lite chama top
first lite allegheny bottoms
socks packing one pair, wearing one pair smartwool hiking
Outer layers-
kuiu guide jacket in vias
belt- kuiu
hat kuiu ballcap in vias
other equipment
gps-rhino
headlamp- cant remember brand but takes same batteries as rhino
boots- asolo sasslong

Equipment/clothes I havent yet purchased but am looking at getting
Clothes
pants- kuiu attack pants in plive
midlayer- kuiu spindrift
hats-kuiu merino beanie with kuiu neck gaitor
underwear- first lite or other merino boxer briefs (wear one pair pack one pair)
raingear- sitka stormfrom lite pants/jacket
gloves-sitka shooters gloves
gaitors- OR verglas
water filter- platypus zippouch 3L with Sawyer filter, aquamira drops for backup
water bladders- msr 4L dromlite for pack, 10L reg MSR dromedary for camp supply (packing empty)
gamebags- caribou or tags
sleeping pad- ridgerest solite

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are big fans of the sawyer inline filter, after a season of pretty steady use last year. Luke drinks right out of the platypus big zip bladder via the filter, but it also works to filter water for my camelback 3L and our 6L dromlite (camp water)....

If using it to filter a bunch at once, we found it worked better elevated on a trekking pole...
IMGP0537-1.jpg

OP
pyroducksx3
Yeah I'm still playing around with how I want to run it (definitely going in line gravity not drinking from) but trying to decide if I'm going to get just the big 10L msr from bag and put dirty water in that in just filter as it comes out or get a platy 3L to use as a dirty bag and filter into the big 10L bag

OR Archer

WKR
Id pack two pairs personally. I hate having wet sweaty socks so I change them often. I think dry socks helps keep my feet in good shape too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Everyone's feet are different so hard to know unless you do it a few times, but I only bring two pairs of socks on most of my backpacking trips. One that I will wear day in day out that will get wet and semi dry out over night, the other are my camp/sleeping socks that I wear every night to let my feet dry out. If your boots fit right they shouldn't give you blisters just cause they are wet and swapping into dry socks overnight is sufficient time to allow them to dry out and what not.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I'm still playing around with how I want to run it (definitely going in line gravity not drinking from) but trying to decide if I'm going to get just the big 10L msr from bag and put dirty water in that in just filter as it comes out or get a platy 3L to use as a dirty bag and filter into the big 10L bag
We actually use ours both as gravity and drinking from. Luke's 3l big zip is the "dirty" water bag, and he drinks from his hose below the inline filter without difficulties. When we want to use it as a gravity filter, we just remove the bite valve and put the end into one of our "clean bags" either my 3l camelback or the 6l dromlite. In deciding which bag to dedicate as dirty, be sure you consider what types of water sources you typically filter from...in higher elevations we have sometimes had trouble finding creeks deep enough to fill the 3L bag all the way (it can be trickier than it seems)...I imagine filling the 10L would be even harder...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
filling up a bag in a small creek isn't too bad with the "big zip" style but the MSR dromedary style bags have a smaller opening that would make filling from a small creek pretty tough. Just somehting to keep in mind, if filling from a good size creek this is obviously a non-issue, but if filling from a little babbling brook then you might prefer a 3L big zip as your dirty bag. They are lighter, fill faster, and easier to clean. The 10L drom bags are better as a "clean" bags IMO just from a cleaning standpoint if nothing else.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
You got a great list of stuff one hell of job for a guy getting into it. I have found that alternating between 2 pairs of good socks has worked well for me. I used to pack way to heavy on the underware and socks. But have given into to alternating between two pairs one on ,one off over time and no longer notice!