First Time Elk Hunters

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
First time archery elk hunting. Leaving tmrw for OR. A little nervous about hunting solo and calling. At least I know the area pretty well.
I'll be doing some time solo too. I'm nervous too, but also stoked. Been a while since I crawled around the woods by myself for an extended period.

Have a great time!

OP
trophyhill
I'll never forget my first elk hunt. I stumbled onto it pretty much due to fate. In 2007 I had killed a big forked mule deer 1st thing in the morning, opening morning. Had no clue what the internet was at the time and not sure if I even had a cell phone.

As I was shoulder deep inside that deer field dressing (knew nothing about the gutless method) WW3 broke out from the other side of the ridge I was on, and bullets ricochetting all around us. I was hunting open country desert mule deer with my 7 mag. It was quite unnerving. I looked up at my buddy and said "I'm a bowhunter next year. This shit is getting too dangerous!"

In 2008 I applied for archery deer and elk. Had no idea what elk hunting was about. I drew both tags. At that time in NM we got our draw results in June. So now I had a September elk hunt coming up and had this old Bear bow that had wheels on it the size of silver dollars and steel cables that a friend had given me a few years prior. The arrow rest was a flimsy piece of material that you had to hold the arrow on with your bow hand until drawing back.

Noone showed me how to grip the bow, let alone shoot it. That first shot will go down in infamy. That steel cable raked across my forearm taking some hide off and bringing tears. Now I had a problem. There was no way I was going to hunt with that thing.

So, I discovered The Archery Shoppe in Albuquerque and bought a Martin Firecat and took a couple lessons. Had a great instructor and within a month had arrows slapping in the bullseye out to 40 yards.

I shot vigorously every day until I went hunting. I had a very short time to learn about elk. The safest way for me to call at this point to get good sounds was to buy a Hoochie Mama. Laugh if you want, but I called 3 big bulls in on that hunt and an obsession was born. Born out of necessity to evade the orange army and today is still my favorite way to hunt. With bow and arrow.

Scott7030

FNG
Technically not my first elk hunt, I got lucky and drew a once in a lifetime bull elk tag in Michigan in 2019.IMG_0410.JPG This will be my first trip out west to everyone's favorite OTC state, Colorado! We'll be leaving Michigan on the September 18th and staying until the 30th. It's been fun trying to talk to anyone that has been there or lives there to get an idea where to start. I think we have a starting location in mind but we'll be mobile and just go until we find some elk. I can't wait to get out there and enjoy God's Country!!

4 of us went to Colorado 2 years ago. 3 bought OTC tags. Since this was our first time I chose to tag along and not buy a tag. Just go for the experience and help carry out meat if one of the 3 were successful. One of them bagged one on the last day of second rifle. The whole experience was great. This year I'll be buying my first elk tag (I'm 38) and 2 of the guys that previously went are going as well with a new 4th that is doing what I did the first year.

Learned a lot that first trip and there is still a lot more to learn. Can't wait to get back up in the mountains. Okie here.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
First elk hunt this year. First rifle in Colorado.

Honestly have wanted to big game hunt my whole life. As a kid didn’t have the means. Always hunted a lot in the southeast but nothing else. Focused on career and kids as became an adult.

Last year a random Africa hunt came up and I went with my best friends. I was hooked. Decided now was the time to do the hunting I have always wanted to do.

Marble

WKR
For the first timers, go in with the mantra "no regrets". Don't be afraid to chase that bugle or check a new area out. Cover ground, get plenty of rest and nutrition. Never quit.

Perseverance is an elk hunters best trait.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
First time elk hunter in a couple weeks up in BC. We have a few great areas throughout BC, but Iv never owned a tag. I grew up moose hunting, growing up / living in our trapline area, so moose were always a slam dunk.

Over the years our gos seasons have slowly gotten smaller, and now as of this year, we have no general open season, only limited entry.

I was fortunate to win limited entry 7 years in a row for moose, but this year we went nil (I can’t complain). But the freezer is empty, so We’r looking at elk this year. Thanks to a good friend and his son for inviting myself and lady with them to teach us the ropes. Iv never heard an elk bugle in person, I sure hope I get to!!

I’ll be packing an old heirloom for this trip. A 375-338wm built on a 1956 model 70 that my grandad built in the early 60’s. He took a lot of game with it, including cape buffalo, but never did take an elk. Fingers crossed I can change that!!

Good luck everyone!

stxhunter

FNG
Leaving Monday to New Mexico for my first out of state and first elk hunt. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for as long as I’ve been into hunting, 25 years at least. Spent most of my 20s in school and figured I’d go in my 30s. My 30s rolled around and kids came along pushing things out. Prices went up after Covid and I thought I may never go. At 41 and realizing I wasn’t getting any younger figured I should start applying seeing how long it was taking folks to draw, in all honestly I should have been applying and building points in my z20s! In addition to other states I applied in New Mexico not expecting much but ended up getting lucky and drawing a tag in my #1 unit!

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to Montana Nov 1st with my Dad and brother. Been hunting Wyoming mule deer for a few years in a row and wanted a new adventure. First elk hunt for all of us.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
Leaving Monday to New Mexico for my first out of state and first elk hunt. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for as long as I’ve been into hunting, 25 years at least. Spent most of my 20s in school and figured I’d go in my 30s. My 30s rolled around and kids came along pushing things out. Prices went up after Covid and I thought I may never go. At 41 and realizing I wasn’t getting any younger figured I should start applying seeing how long it was taking folks to draw, in all honestly I should have been applying and building points in my z20s! In addition to other states I applied in New Mexico not expecting much but ended up getting lucky and drawing a tag in my #1 unit!
Same situation for me. I applied just hoping to start building points and drew a great tag!

First timer, headed out with my dad and some good buddies. I finally heard enough of my my dad’s stories that I decided it was time to start experiencing it myself! School and work timeliness always held me back but finally at 31 I have my work and family life set up to allow me to do this. Good luck y’all!

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know for sure that there are more elk a couple miles in, than right there beside the truck where you can have a comfy camp and be mobile?
It’s a busy zone and usually the elk get pushed into the bush after the first few days.

We will be hunting anywhere in between, but we will be hunting with camp on our backs in case they are in deeper than we think.

Scott7030

FNG
Less than 2 weeks and I'll be in the mountains. I weighed most of my gear last night and my pack is sitting right around 26 lbs. without water and food. I'll be hitting the weighted hikes hard for the next week and a half.

First timer leaving early October for Wyoming...with...Gaaassspp....my wife of all people🤯...
Started out as a diy cow hunt for the two us to get some experience and end up a guided party of 4 with 2 folks we know landing tags/access in unit just north of us and all bunking up same place for few days.
The Mrs. has taken well to killing and eating those killed things since I swindled her into marrying me 13 years ago. Had never fired a gun before then and now she'll go about anywhere with me and I have as much or more fun watching her hunt as I do myself.
One son will be old enough for tags next year and the other is two years out.
All but one of my buddies have always been too cheap or won't put the planning/effort in to go along so I figured I'd marry and procreate my own hunting partners...so far so good🤞

As for what prompted me to put in for tags?
I've been building points for 6 years and applying for couple but striking out until now. A bull hunt is in the works, but decided a bit lower key cow hunt to get some experience wasn't a bad idea. We carry the "antlers are just icing on the cake" philosophy and hunt more for the experience and meat than wall ornaments.

Best of luck to everyone! Im looking forward to all the stories and pictures to come the next few months...go get em!

Last edited:
OP
trophyhill
First timer leaving early October for Wyoming...with...Gaaassspp....my wife of all people🤯...
Started out as a diy cow hunt for the two us to get some experience and end up a guided party of 4 with 2 folks we know landing tags/access in unit just north of us and all bunking up same place for few days.
The Mrs. has taken well to killing and eating those killed things since I swindled her into marrying me 13 years ago. Had never fired a gun before then and now she'll go about anywhere with me and I have as much or more fun watching her hunt as I do myself.
One son will be old enough for tags next year and the other is two years out.
All but one of my buddies have always been too cheap or won't put the planning/effort in to go along so I figured I'd marry and procreate my own hunting partners...so far so good🤞

As for what prompted me to put in for tags?
I've been building points for 6 years and applying for couple but striking out until now. A bull hunt is in the works, but decided a bit lower key cow hunt to get some experience wasn't a bad idea. We carry the "antlers are just icing on the cake" philosophy and hunt more for the experience and meat than wall ornaments.

Best of luck to everyone! Im looking forward to all the stories and pictures to come the next few months...go get em!
I predict a successful elk hunting career for you