First time DIY elk hunt

Tcatt

FNG
Do any of you have any suggestions on an early season archery Colorado Elk hunt? When is the best time to go? What shelter do you guys suggest? I’m looking to do a 10 day backpacking trip. I’m new to this elk hunting thing so any I for is greatly appreciated!

This question gets asked a lot, and some folks will give you sarcastic answers or just plain scold you for asking, especially as you are new to the forum.

Type OTC, Colorado Elk, etc, into the search bar, and you will find many many threads discussing this exact question.

If there is a question that has not been answered after your research, bring it up.

Good luck!

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
Truck camp, don’t backpack. Go early season, sit water.
I agree on the truck camping... unless you know a spot where you know you will be into elk, or you just want a backpacking experience, you should truck camp. It will give you much more mobility and allow you to hit new spots quickly to locate the elk. Backpacking is more than likely going to be a waste of your time, especially when you have no knowledge of the area. If you are just in it for the backpacking experience, go in the summer and backpack into some good fishing. It will be cheaper and the weather more predictable.

use the search function in the top right corner and after months of reading all the first time DIY coloroado threads go ahead & ask any questions that you feel have not been answered.
Welcome FNG and good luck !!

md126

WKR
Definitely truck camp. You can always spike camp out from there for 1-3 days if you find elk fury than you’d like to walk in/out.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
E-scout one good area, get in super deep with 10 days worth of food and gear. Commit to the spot and don't leave, if there's no sign just go deeper and wait them out. Once you hit the 5 mile mark there will be no people, everyone stays close to the road in Colorado.

Just kidding. Don't do any of that.

The elk rut early in CO from my experience. I got into bugling bulls a week before season started while scouting. I do agree with the stay mobile and truck camp idea. Have several spots in mind and start working them. If no elk in 1-2 days and no fresh sign, then make your move. Shelter is a personal preference. I personally prefer a backpacking tent that is light and fully encapsulated so mice typically won’t enter and chew up my belongings. A lot of people are going to floor less to cut weight. It is really personal preference. Good luck and hope you have a wonderful experience

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
This question gets asked a lot, and some folks will give you sarcastic answers or just plain scold you for asking, especially as you are new to the forum.

Type OTC, Colorado Elk, etc, into the search bar, and you will find many many threads discussing this exact question.

If there is a question that has not been answered after your research, bring it up.

Good luck!
If only people actually use the search button

Jolley78MT

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned you'll find a lot using the search. One question for you though, are you new to backpack hunting or just the elk hunting part of that? Are you going solo or with someone? A backpack solo elk hunt is quite an endeavor if you haven't done it, especially when fighting hot weather to get an elk out.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck and hope you have an epic trip.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say pack in as deep and heavy as you can. You'll appreciate truck camp the next time you go;)

jmez

WKR
Hike in the dark. You need to be set up and ready at a glassing site before first light. You need to stay in your glassing spot until you can no longer see with the binos.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Don't pack in further than you can pack out an elk.
I will 2nd this, especially if you have never hunted out west or hunted elk before, my first western hunt I killed a mule deer a few miles back and myself and a buddy packed it out, totally made me rethink the possibility of my eastern ass packing out a elk on my own. Especially after seeing some elk quarters at the processor compared to mule deer quarters.

Don't bite off what you cant chew.