First time caribou hunters

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I used to run the haul road as a pilot car. If you're going to drive that road make sure you have a working CB radio. North of Fairbanks the drivers are on channel 19. Having a radio will also let the pilot cars talk to you. If you want a windshield when you get back slow down to around 30 mph when meeting other vehicles on the gravel parts of the road. Word will get out of you don't. Some of the drivers will talk to you if you question them about where the animals are, most of us run PB to Fairbanks in 9 - 10 hours so be careful up there.

OP
Live_weighT34
We're headed up this fall and had all the same questions and concerns. We decided to go in late August to (hopefully) hit the best compromise of less bugs, good number of caribou and fishing opportunities. We decided to hire an airboat transporter to take us to a good location on the other side of the river but still within the 5 mile corridor. It was significantly cheaper than the long trip to get out of the 5 mile corridor, but will still get us 2-3 miles away from the road and on the other side of the river where there should be MUCH less hunting pressure. the other plus is he can help to get us in a location where caribou have been spotted and if we do have to hike out for a rifle hunt we wont have to walk as far to get outside the restricted area.
I want to follow up with you after your hunt! The boat sounds like a good option and I hadn’t even considered that! Good luck man!

thawk8541

FNG
Here are some dry’s to include: Adams, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, Humpies, Griffith’s Gnat, Mosquito and, Black Gnat. Some nymphs to include: Hare’s Ear, Zug Bug, Copper John, and Pheasant Tail. Use sizes 20 to 10 and you will be good to go.

As for conventional any small spinner size 00-2 will be effective. Panther Martins, Mepps, Rooster tail etc. Please be mindful that some of the fish up there are super old.

Focus on confluences & deeper water. They’re a ton of fun on lighter rods. I tend to use a longer 3wt. I’ve attached a pic of my nymph fly box for some examples. Good luck!
Thank you!