First time camping in Florida

Hey guys I have recently gotten into camping and since I drew so early into the season (2nd week) im considering camping for the first 3 days of my week draw and hopefully maximize my time.

Does anyone recommend a list of things that are essentials for camping? I've been looking into purchasing a bag, either a kifaru or a Team Elk, still up in the air.

Please let me know if there's a list of things people recommend or just what you yourself recommend.

Thank you!

I also am willing to purchase anyones left over items after upgrades, I'd imagine there's rules for that but just putting that out there.

OP
CarlitoElPipo
What species did you draw in Florida? Which season? This will help others answer your questions.
Thank you for that, Deer for august 17-19 and October 17-19. I haven't looked if Turkey will be allowed in that time, but that'll definitely be a part of it.

Loper

WKR
What part of Florida are you going to be in?

I’m assuming you are hunting archery (at least in August). it’s going to be brutally hot in August and still warm/hot in October.

Since, you drew a tag, I’m assuming you are hunting public land. That being the case, most WMAs that I’m aware of have designated camping spots, so I wouldn’t expect to hike a few miles back from a trail head and set up camp. Most (if not all) camping spots you can just camp out of your parked car. That being said, you are kind of limitless as to what you can bring camping. The things I would suggest is plenty of water and a portable fan that can keep you cool at night.

I don’t think you have to buy a pack, at least not a big, meat hauling pack made for western hunting. A pack in 95+ degree heat is just going to slow you down and you are going to want to ditch it after about an hour. A low profile back pack or camelback with plenty of water should suffice for what you are going to be carrying through the woods. The deer in Florida aren’t big and a 100 lb deer, before being field dressed, is a large deer. If you get something down, you should be able to drag or carry it to an accessible road and drive it to the WMA check station, hence another reason why a western style pack isn’t needed. You can if you want to, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

The woods of Florida can be pretty thick and often have saw palmettos. Even though it will be hot, it may still be wise to wear long pants. Also, snake boots are smart too.

I know you said you want to maximize your time hunting, but you may want to consider bringing a fishing pole with some soft plastics. You can fish after your hunt or if you get bored within your hunting window. there’s plenty of accessible freshwater lakes and ponds in most parts of Florida.

OP
CarlitoElPipo
What part of Florida are you going to be in?

I’m assuming you are hunting archery (at least in August). it’s going to be brutally hot in August and still warm/hot in October.

Since, you drew a tag, I’m assuming you are hunting public land. That being the case, most WMAs that I’m aware of have designated camping spots, so I wouldn’t expect to hike a few miles back from a trail head and set up camp. Most (if not all) camping spots you can just camp out of your parked car. That being said, you are kind of limitless as to what you can bring camping. The things I would suggest is plenty of water and a portable fan that can keep you cool at night.

I don’t think you have to buy a pack, at least not a big, meat hauling pack made for western hunting. A pack in 95+ degree heat is just going to slow you down and you are going to want to ditch it after about an hour. A low profile back pack or camelback with plenty of water should suffice for what you are going to be carrying through the woods. The deer in Florida aren’t big and a 100 lb deer, before being field dressed, is a large deer. If you get something down, you should be able to drag or carry it to an accessible road and drive it to the WMA check station, hence another reason why a western style pack isn’t needed. You can if you want to, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

The woods of Florida can be pretty thick and often have saw palmettos. Even though it will be hot, it may still be wise to wear long pants. Also, snake boots are smart too.

I know you said you want to maximize your time hunting, but you may want to consider bringing a fishing pole with some soft plastics. You can fish after your hunt or if you get bored within your hunting window. there’s plenty of accessible freshwater lakes and ponds in most parts of Florida.
So im born and raised in Miami, I pulled OK Slough and three lakes, general gun and muzzleloaders so I'll be hunting with my bow. I'm definitely gonna be bringing my fly rod.

So I should be fine with whichever bag I can bring a water pack with, do you have any recommendations of a small durable bag?

Im guessing you've hunted in South Florida before?

Loper

WKR
When hunting in FL I use my AGC max bino harness and the hydration pack that AGC makes that is meant to work with the bino harness. I use a 3 liter bladder but don’t always fill it up with the full 3 liters, depending on time of year and how long I plan to be away from the truck. If you don’t fill the bladder up all the way you have some room to put some things in the pack. Also, the bino harness can hold some small items or anything the size of bino if you don’t need them.

jimh406

WKR
As you know, there are lot of things that can hurt or kill you in Florida, but there are also bugs that can be extremely annoying. You might have to use a lot of bug sprays even camping to get a good nights sleep.

ofl0926

WKR
I’m from miami and still live here.
Here are a few thoughts
Mosquitos and ticks. Thermacell will be your best friend and always wear long sleeve clothing. Check yourself at night for ticks. Maybe even a mosquito face net. Gnats can be extremely annoying.
Snakes, Florida is a swamp. Be careful walking to and from your stand, especially at going into your stand in the morning and leaving your stand at night.
When it comes to camping, if you want to survive go for it. I don’t think it will be comfortable. The moment you open your tent, bugs will fly in and bother you all night long. But if go for it if you want.
You might run into some hogs.

Most of all have fun. If you need any other advice, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CarlitoElPipo
I agree on the bug spray or get a thermacell.

I’m from miami and still live here.
Here are a few thoughts
Mosquitos and ticks. Thermacell will be your best friend and always wear long sleeve clothing. Check yourself at night for ticks. Maybe even a mosquito face net. Gnats can be extremely annoying.
Snakes, Florida is a swamp. Be careful walking to and from your stand, especially at going into your stand in the morning and leaving your stand at night.
When it comes to camping, if you want to survive go for it. I don’t think it will be comfortable. The moment you open your tent, bugs will fly in and bother you all night long. But if go for it if you want.
You might run into some hogs.

Most of all have fun. If you need any other advice, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man this forum is so hopefully, I appreciate everyone in this forum and thread a lot.

I’ll definitely be getting a thermacell and the fan lol, about everyone has said that.

Lmk if you’re ever bout going to a range or hunting or fishing even if you’re into that.

ScottP76

FNG
I’d turn those 3 Lakes quotas back in honestly and get preference points instead. 3 Lakes becomes a Romp n Stomp after the first 2 days. 600+ daily quotas unless you just like being miserable.

Again unless you just like being miserable, I wouldn’t camp in a tent in August. Now if you had a camper with AC. I would look if their is a hotel close to your WMA that you could stay in.

A thermecall is 100% needed and spray your clothes with permethrin for ticks they can be really bad especially those real tiny ones.

When I hunt public I use my Kifaru frame pack the “scout day” to carry my climber or lock on to my spot depending how far the walk is. Anything over a 1/2 miles is miserable for me personally with the stands supplied straps. Then during hunt days I take a small day pack just to carry water my energy drinks, dip, sweat towel and extra shirt. I wear a bino harness for other small things. If it is really hot or far from the truck I will sit all day to keep sweating down. Several Hunts I’ve had bucks walk by me from 11 to 3 when other hunters get down or start moving around. Unfortunately they don’t meet APRs. Also read the rules of your WMA as each one is different. Several Quotas you’re only allowed 1 buck. I messed up 1 year on a hunt where I let a 6pt and a 7pt walk because I saw a lot bigger bucks on camera and was under the assumption of only 1. Meanwhile I could have shot both on the same day and had a chance at the bigger ones still.