First time buying a new bow in 14 years (VXR 31.5)

rob86jeep

WKR
I finally upgraded to a new bow this year (I had a Mathews Switchback XT that I bought new in 2006) specks below.

Mathews VXR 31.5 in ambush green (70 lbs, 28" draw)
Q lite quiver
Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL double pin
Hamskea Trinity Hunter Pro rest
Easton Axis 5mm arrows cut to 28.75" (260 spine) with 50 grain brass insert and 125 grain field point

Shooting 260 FPS with 531 grain total arrow weight

I'm still working out the kinks right now though. I'm needing some spacers to push the Q lite quiver out a little farther as the arrow touch the Hamskea right now and I'm worried my Fast Eddie won't have enough adjustment (before fletching contact) to get me out past 60 yards but that's just by eyeballing it (I haven't been able to shoot past 20 yards yet).

I don't really have any questions right now, just excited to get this set up before September Elk season in CO so figured I would start a thread.

Kinda funny, the XT had been the last Mathews hunting bow I had owned. Just picked up a VXR 31.5. Haven't shot it yet. Haven't really set it up yet.

You should be able to get well past 60 with your fast Eddie. I had a setup last year with a Tommy Hogg and 5 pin large housing @ 260 fps and I could get past 100 with it. I'd think you can get 80-85 unless you have an abnormal peep location.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
My peep is just under 6" on the VXR (from nock point to peep while the string is at rest) and it was 5.5" on my XT so I'm assuming my peep height is good. I'm thinking it's just me being worried, but I'll find out tomorrow when I shoot out to 60 to sight in my Fast Eddie.

Ha!! I also just upgraded today from a Switchback XT I bought in ‘06. But I went with the VXR 28. Your peep Location differences of 5.5” on the XT and 6” on the VXR are nearly exact to what I ended up with. I’m not familiar with or shooting a fast Eddie, but I got out to 50 with 4 pins spaced less than .6” from 20 to 50 pin. Out to 60 with my slider and room to take it to 100. Apex Covert 4 slider.

Not quite apples to apples, since I am at 75 lbs and shooting a 27.5” axis 300, with 50gr steel inserts, 25grsteel collars, and 100gr heads. Total arrow weight of 498gr and speed at 280. 28.5” DL

Funny 3 of us just upgraded from a SXT this year. Thought I was only one out there still shooting a single cam. That bow shot amazing, but I’m impressed with the VXR in all aspects except the increased weight. Guess I’ll get used to that.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Ha!! I also just upgraded today from a Switchback XT I bought in ‘06. But I went with the VXR 28. Your peep Location differences of 5.5” on the XT and 6” on the VXR are nearly exact to what I ended up with. I’m not familiar with or shooting a fast Eddie, but I got out to 50 with 4 pins spaced less than .6” from 20 to 50 pin. Out to 60 with my slider and room to take it to 100. Apex Covert 4 slider.

Not quite apples to apples, since I am at 75 lbs and shooting a 27.5” axis 300, with 50gr steel inserts, 25grsteel collars, and 100gr heads. Total arrow weight of 498gr and speed at 280. 28.5” DL

Funny 3 of us just upgraded from a SXT this year. Thought I was only one out there still shooting a single cam. That bow shot amazing, but I’m impressed with the VXR in all aspects except the increased weight. Guess I’ll get used to that.
I still have my XT and plan to keep it as a backup. I'm hoping in another 10 years I keep reading about how the VXR was the best bow Mathews made (similar to what I keep hearing about the Switchback).

I only bought 6 arrows right now to see how I like them at 530 grains. If I can't get out far enough, I might drop down to a little under 500.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I kept my XT as well. Same arrow setup but in 340 spine for 465 gr at 265fps. I couldn’t let it go, so it will be my backup too.
I don't recall my spine off hand but was/am shooting about 475 grain arrow at around 245 fps if I remember right (70 lb / 28" draw).

4rcgoat

WKR
Just updated first of the year from a 05 matthews lx to a halon 32.......well worth the investment.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a VXR 28 today. 75lb mods and 28" draw length. Upgrading from my Q2 that I have shot for the past 16 years or so. My Q2 is 74lbs with the cam set aggressive. Completely different feel when compared to the VXR! My Q2 will be kept as a back up bow for sure. So far so good!

qwerksc

WKR
I've been shooting a Halon 6 at targets and the Switchback xt for hunting, the xt is still relevant and smooth, but I'm going for the vxr 31.5 soon. Feel like a kid at Christmas.

Fullfan

WKR
I'm on the fence about buying a new VXR, I shoot a Bowtech Allegiance that I bought in 2008. Shot with 6 guys yesterday and most had newer Mathers. All very quiet and fast. I just having a hard time dropping 1600.00 for a new set up when I know mine will work just fine.

DocV

FNG
I cut it close by changing bows in late July for a September hunt. Besides shooting 20-30 arrows a day is there any break in y’all are doing for your VXR? I’ve been shooting a Hoyt Ultramag xt for the last 5 years. It’s been 2.5” short for my draw so I’m in hog heaven with a bow that fits finally. I want to make sure I’m not missing anything as this is my first “new to me” bow

qwerksc

WKR
I ordered the 31.5 VXR two weeks ago. I put the Sxt in the museum. Dialed the Halon to the Broadheads. Now I'm collecting the parts tor the VXR, So Pumped!

I cut it close by changing bows in late July for a September hunt. Besides shooting 20-30 arrows a day is there any break in y’all are doing for your VXR? I’ve been shooting a Hoyt Ultramag xt for the last 5 years. It’s been 2.5” short for my draw so I’m in hog heaven with a bow that fits finally. I want to make sure I’m not missing anything as this is my first “new to me” bow

Shouldn't be any real break in. Few shots to get your strings and cables settled. I did have a cable start to stretch on me. Put new bcy 452x strands on it a few days ago. I don't know how many shots I had on it, over 1k, probably not 2k. Haven't had trouble with a different Mathews with trophy strings. I did need to twist up the cables to get to poundage on the VXR at the beginning.

Point is I would get some marks on it so you can tell if things are moving. They have holes in the cams that your cables are supposed to be sitting in at rest, take pictures of those so you have a reference. Best to be checking it on a draw board but not everyone has one. I'd consider building one if I didn't have one.

Last edited:

Fullfan

WKR
Well I brought home the VXR 28 about a week ago. Very nice change from the old bow. Have about 500 arrows through it. Only issue is I almost always have to rotate the peep prior to shooting. Nice rig tho..

Well I brought home the VXR 28 about a week ago. Very nice change from the old bow. Have about 500 arrows through it. Only issue is I almost always have to rotate the peep prior to shooting. Nice rig tho..

Twist your string to fix the peep rotation. Or get a small piece of loop material, string suppressor, something to take up a little space between strands. You can move it up or down above your peep to get it to come around.

DocV

FNG
Shouldn't be any real break in. Few shots to get your strings and cables settled. I did have a cable start to stretch on me. Put new bcy 442x strands on it a few days ago. I don't know how many shots I had on it, over 1k, probably not 2k. Haven't had trouble with a different Mathews with trophy strings. I did need to twist up the cables to get to poundage on the VXR at the beginning.

Point is I would get some marks on it so you can tell if things are moving. They have holes in the cams that your cables are supposed to be sitting in at rest, take pictures of those so you have a reference. Best to be checking it on a draw board but not everyone has one. I'd consider building one if I didn't have one.
Billy Goat I appreciate it. I’m planning to take one trip every other week (approx) to the bow range to paper it just to make sure I don’t have drift in the first 500 shots. I have a range at home, but getting out and changing the lighting, Noise, and targets has proven useful in the past.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I picked up my XVR 31.5 last week. Ordered in Mid March and took that long for everything to show up. Last piece was the Spott Hogg Hunter 7 pin. Guy at the archery shop had shot it before I got there and found that the Carbon Express Maxima Red SD's shot really well ( and they do!). Scaled an arrow at 461 grains with 100 grain field point. Had the first pin dialed in before I left the shop. First pin is dead on to 30 yards. Need to start setting the rest of the pins.

The Evolution Outdoors Hyde broadheads showed up this morning. If they shoot as good as they look, they should be spectacular. If not, I will find something else that will work. I have about a month before I head west and I was getting nervous before the shop called and said everything was in.

Love these new bows. Bought the last one around 7 years ago from Mr. Aron and it will be on the hunting trips as a backup. I have complete faith in it but the new ones are so much faster, forgiving and flatter shooting.

COOPDUCK

FNG
Wow someone who keeps gear as long as I do! I thought everyone these days buys all new gear every year. I’m still shooting my 2004 Hoyt, but definitely been getting itch to join the modern world.