First suppressor. Do everything.

bdg848

WKR
So, I'm not ACTUALLY dead set on a 'do everything' suppressor, though it'd be nice, I think that would be asking too much. This would be my first suppressor and what I'm trying to do is cover as many of my needs with as few suppressors as possible ($$$$).

My needs are 1st) a suppressor for an SBR 5.56 AR for home defense with the main goal being to not go COMPLETELY deaf if my wife or I had to shoot it inside. Honestly, I don't care if it's TOTALLY hearing safe because I hope to never use it in that manner, I just don't want to be bleeding from my ears if I do. If we shoot a bad guy, a little ringing in the ears will be the least pressing concern.

2nd) I'd like to suppress my hunting rifle, a 270 Win, and I would want that to be hearing safe or else what is the point?

3rd) I'd like to be able to suppress a 9mm. And that would be a very small pdw/pcc style gun so smaller footprint would be better plus I've heard smaller suppressors are easier to get to run reliably on a handgun.

So, I think one can for them all is probably not a realistic ask, but who knows? I was thinking a .30 cal can for my .270 and 5.56 and when I have the money get a 9mm. However 9mm is .35cal so maybe there's a 9mm can rated for .30 cal too and that could do everything? I don't know, like I said, this will be my first suppressor so I'm totally open to advice and learning! Thanks

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
Rugged Alaskan 360, my local dealer sells a bunch to guys wanting one can to use with hunting rifle and 9mm. They seem decent in the hand although I've never used one.

My brother has a silencerco 36 and I’d recommend the rugged Alaskan even though I’ve never put hands on one. For myself I’d likely buy a griffin armament can since I’m invested in the mounts

I have a 30 cal that I use for hunting rifles and 5.56 or 300 blackout, I have a rimfire suppressor for my 22's and that's by far the most fun. I would think a suppressor for pistols you would want to be a little smaller. I've never looked into that personally. Your standard 9mm wouldn't be sub sonic so it wouldn't suppress that great. 45 ACP would be better for that application.

ElPollo

WKR
Personally, I would buy a good titanium rifle can like a Diligent Defense STI ($750 plus stamp) and then get a 9mm can separately. Suppressors are effectively yours forever. If you get a single compromise can, it won’t do either very well. The DD cans seem to get good reviews, but currently have a long backlog. Others cans like AB, Hyperion, and the Silencer Co Sythe TI are going to be similar in performance (although more expensive) and all will handle what you’d throw at them on a home defense situation with 5.56. I can’t really speak to 9 mm cans.

Matt5266

WKR
I tried to accomplish the same thing years ago. I ended up with a 30 cal rifle can to use on all rifles. And a 45 cal pistol can to use for handgun rounds. I ended up with the rad 45 by huxwrx. It can also be used on subsonic 300 blk and 45-70, 458 socom and things of that nature.

This seemed like the best option for me at the time. You can maybe find 1 can for your needs but after looking around 2 cans covered more options and worked better across the board. Just my 2 cents

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
I have a recce 5 that I shoot on a 7.5 barrel and do full auto mag dumps back to back till the can and gas tube glow bright red.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just a heads up, that rugged Alaskan silencer is widely considered to not be very good as far as sound suppression.

It’s a cool idea but in reality it’s just not a very good silencer.

Rugged Alaskan 360, my local dealer sells a bunch to guys wanting one can to use with hunting rifle and 9mm. They seem decent in the hand although I've never used one.
That can sucks. Wont be hearing safe on any of his host weapons

You can get something meant for 9mm that has changeable end caps to use on the rifle cartridges, but you will need to check with the manufacturers and see if their specific can will handle the higher pressure. It likely wont perform as well on the rifles though. I'd at least get 2, one 9mm and one rifle. Perfect world get 3, dedicated is the way to go if you can.

For the 9, if its a handgun and you dont want to use a booster the AB suppressor f4 sounds great on my pistol and doesn't need a booster. The huxwrx cash 9k spunds good and is also very light. For a PCC the absolute best and my favorite can is the new CAT MOB, its just amazingly quiet and no gas to the face, but its not that small or light.

If you want the best suppression, plus small and lightweight for the AR, the CAT white bread is the best I've shot. Zero gas to the face and was perfectly comfortable shooting supers from a 10.5" barrel. Ive been using it on my 22 creed too and its working great.

You could get a scythe, AB raptor or a diligent defense s-ti for the 7mm, then also get some 556 endcaps and use this can for the AR as well. Just know that you will likely get alot more gas the face unless you get a flow through style can like a huxwrx, CAT or the cobalt kenetics scrambler.

I have about 40 suppressors, lemme know if anyone wants to know anything. I own all the ones i mentioned in this post and plenty more

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You can get something meant for 9mm that has changeable end caps to use on the rifle cartridges, but you will need to check with the manufacturers and see if their specific can will handle the higher pressure. It likely wont perform as well on the rifles though. I'd at least get 2, one 9mm and one rifle. Perfect world get 3, dedicated is the way to go if you can.

For the 9, if its a handgun and you dont want to use a booster the AB suppressor f4 sounds great on my pistol and doesn't need a booster. The huxwrx cash 9k spunds good and is also very light. For a PCC the absolute best and my favorite can is the new CAT MOB, its just amazingly quiet and no gas to the face, but its not that small or light.

If you want the best suppression, plus small and lightweight for the AR, the CAT white bread is the best I've shot. Zero gas to the face and was perfectly comfortable shooting supers from a 10.5" barrel. Ive been using it on my 22 creed too and its working great.

You could get a scythe, AB raptor or a diligent defense s-ti for the 7mm, then also get some 556 endcaps and use this can for the AR as well. Just know that you will likely get alot more gas the face unless you get a flow through style can like a huxwrx, CAT or the cobalt kenetics scrambler.

I have about 40 suppressors, lemme know if anyone wants to know anything. I own all the ones i mentioned in this post and plenty more
40 silencers? I thought I was bad having 5. What do you think is the best all around hunting silencer for bolt action rifles?

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider

What do you think of the scrambler?

40 silencers? I thought I was bad having 5. What do you think is the best all around hunting silencer for bolt action rifles?
Im a dealer lol, no way I'd have all my toys without that going for me. And that sort of depends on if you prioritize weight, value or suppression and the cartridge in my mind.

Its hard to beat the AB raptor 8 for all around, you can order it in multiple bore diameters, get different end caps and go direct thread or use the reflex and its priced fairly. A lighter weight and shorter option thats fairly versatile(surely at the cost of durability) is the scythe TI. Ultimate suppression on a 30 cal, my vote goes to the CAT johnny law, diligent defense enticer L-TI, and AB raptor 10. There will be something that comes along in the next year that will top those, look into the 3d printed cans coming out if you havent. They are truly innovative and doing things that arent possible with traditional welded baffle cans

What do you think of the scrambler?
Its very nice, not as quiet as the CAT WB and sparks a bit more(both mine are the TI versions) but its short and light and it does sound good on a 10.5" AR. Me and my buddies think the scrambler is the perfect can for a 14.5"+ length AR where that lighter weight and short length is big positive. CGS, CAT and cobalt kenetics all use the same printing company just to different specs, so its all high quality, but CAT has been researching with the pewscience lab for over 2 years to come up with the absolute best cans, for very specific cartridges and use cases. They dont do multipurpose cans but damn do they outperform everything I've shot them against so far

Bluefish

WKR
I think it’s not reasonable to do pistol and rifle with a single can. I have banish 46 and a jk armaments 155. Both 45 cal cans. Both rated for a 45-70 rifle. The Banish is a rifle can, long, big diameter and heavy (22oz). The JK is a pistol can (9.5 oz) rated to be used on a 45-70. Not even close between the two to silence a 45-70. The JK has 7 baffles, but simply not enough volume to be really quiet. Shooting the banish on a 14” sbr with subs it’s almost air gun quiet. The jk on a 19” lever is not. It still has flames out the muzzle and was louder than expected. Volume really does seem to be key to get a quiet can. I would not use the banish on anything that didn’t need the volume or bore diameter as it’s heavy. Almost twice the weight of the AB and over twice the JK. No way I would use it on a pistol. I may try the JK on a pistol if I ever get a threaded barrel.

I have a 375 AB Raptor 10 stack for use on 35 cal rifles. It’s pretty darned quiet. Close to the banish on the 45-70 except for the sonic crack. Not sure how it works on smaller calibers as I just don’t shoot those much anymore. I do have some dedicated 30 cal cans, but have not tried them yet, slated to go on 22, 25, and 7mm rifles. I was faced with the dilemma of getting 22 can or 30 can for AR use. I went with a AB A-10 in 30 can as it’s more versatile and tests close to the 556 version. For a sub $500 option, it checked the boxes for me. I did look at cans like the hux 556, but cost was a big downside and AR’s are just not quiet with any can due to port noise. I also don’t do mag dumps as I hate picking up all the brass and inevitably loosing some.

wesfromky

WKR
There are some decent 9mm bore cans that can handle 556/300bo/350 legend along with 9mm, like DeadAir wolfman and otter creek lithium. So, something like that that could cover two of your use cases. If you want to run something on a pistol vs pcc, then you end up having to switch around the muzzle devices/pistons.

But, none of the 9mm pistol cans do all that well, or can even handle something like .270. So, I think you need at least two. And since everyone should have a rimfire can as well, make it three.

I will also say that from my limited experience, it is much better to get Ti cans for hunting rifles.

The AB Raptor 8 .375 is a far better can than the Alaskan 360. Literally twice the baffles internally.

Mine gets used on my MP5k with 147g 9mm and is ridiculously quiet. It is also hearing safe on my 6 CM, however it would be quieter with a smaller end cap like @Cameron.25 stated, but they are NOT available, due to a ridiculous ATF order to AB. Other Suppressor manufacturers can sell them just fine.

@Cameron.25 , if you have a 6.5mm end cap for an AB, or know of one, I'd love to pick one up.

Sled

WKR
I'd highly recommend looking at two different suppressors. Get a handgun suppressor and you can compromise on the 270/223. You'll regret your decision if not and you'll likely repurpose your "do it all" suppressor pretty quick.

The AB Raptor 8 .375 is a far better can than the Alaskan 360. Literally twice the baffles internally.

Mine gets used on my MP5k with 147g 9mm and is ridiculously quiet. It is also hearing safe on my 6 CM, however it would be quieter with a smaller end cap like @Cameron.25 stated, but they are NOT available, due to a ridiculous ATF order to AB. Other Suppressor manufacturers can sell them just fine.

@Cameron.25 , if you have a 6.5mm end cap for an AB, or know of one, I'd love to pick one up.
Dang that sucks, I know I got mine seperate from a can with an order. So you cant buy an endcap from them by itself anymore? If so I will call AB on monday and see if I'm allowed to by them seperately. If so, I will get another and send one to you because I only have one right now

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
So, I'm not ACTUALLY dead set on a 'do everything' suppressor, though it'd be nice, I think that would be asking too much. This would be my first suppressor and what I'm trying to do is cover as many of my needs with as few suppressors as possible ($$$$).

My needs are 1st) a suppressor for an SBR 5.56 AR for home defense with the main goal being to not go COMPLETELY deaf if my wife or I had to shoot it inside. Honestly, I don't care if it's TOTALLY hearing safe because I hope to never use it in that manner, I just don't want to be bleeding from my ears if I do. If we shoot a bad guy, a little ringing in the ears will be the least pressing concern.

2nd) I'd like to suppress my hunting rifle, a 270 Win, and I would want that to be hearing safe or else what is the point?

3rd) I'd like to be able to suppress a 9mm. And that would be a very small pdw/pcc style gun so smaller footprint would be better plus I've heard smaller suppressors are easier to get to run reliably on a handgun.

So, I think one can for them all is probably not a realistic ask, but who knows? I was thinking a .30 cal can for my .270 and 5.56 and when I have the money get a 9mm. However 9mm is .35cal so maybe there's a 9mm can rated for .30 cal too and that could do everything? I don't know, like I said, this will be my first suppressor so I'm totally open to advice and learning! Thanks
Closest I've found to a do it all can is a SiCo Omega 36m. Can handle .22 centerfire up to .33 and .35 cal magnums. Also has a k can configuration that can handle 9mm and .357 pistols.