First Sheep Hunt in the Books

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Well, back in January 2017 I made a pact with myself, a resolution of sorts, to focus on getting into better health and promised myself as a carrot to go on my first sheep hunt, which I have dreamed of since a child. After 19 months of the gym 4-6 times a week, and 8-25 miles of mountain hiking most weekends I made sure I was ready. To be solidly sure, my brother and I went and hiked all over Yosemite including a 19.6 day-hike assault on Halfdome and cables in June, and returned to California in July to climb Mt. Whitney, which we did as an overnight excursion. To help prepare, I carried a 48-lb pack on Mt. Whitney with most our camp and food from the 8,000' trailhead to the 12,000'+ trail camp, and then back down again after we hit the summit. Decided to be lazy and drop my pack weight to about 12 pounds for the summit part of that trip.

Anyway, fast forward to August and my hunting partner and I flew into a secreted strip in a hidden drainage of a mystery valley. The Wrangells area apparently has quite a bit of guiding pressure, so we were asked to keep tight lipped about where we hunted and location of the strip, which was fine by us. Also why you only get a couple of tightly cropped shots, but was worth it. Had an absolutely wonderful time--even got to spend some campfire time at the end with a couple board regulars which was an added bonus for sure.

Carried out the entire part of my hunt in true style and even helped carry extra gear and meat of my hunting partner a good portion of time. Was happy to help and very proud that I was able to do it. The hardest part was getting enough calories. I burned way more than I consumed each day, and even with packing as much as I could, and after gorging on shared food while at the staging strip and the luxury accommodations our transporter provided, I still dropped over 13 lbs in the 11 days afield. Again, all solidly worth it and cannot wait to try again next year. Had an amazing time in a wondrous part of our state, completely choked out with glaciers and grand views everywhere you looked. It was an epic camping/hiking excursion with the two rams being icing on the cake.

Stid2677 thank you for the wonderful company on our hold-over afield. And AKinAZ--thanks for the food and good company as well--albeit brief.

IMG_6136.jpgIMG_6006.jpgIMG_6233.jpgIMG_6235.jpgIMG_5625.jpg

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Had also always wanted to try to grill some sheep ribs over an open fire while afield. Problem this time around was we were well above treeline, and since we were trying to move camp and 2 sheep a good distance over an insufficient period of time, we simply never got the opportunity. Luckily, the spare time staged at another strip provided the time, resources, excellent seasoning and direction of Stid2677 to bring that goal to fruition.

We all tried one rib that night which was great, but saved the rest for an amazing breakfast the next morning since we miraculously ended up with a large pizza couple adult beverages apiece flown in from town--almost embarrassed to admit those comforts--a complete first class touch.

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpg
    IMG_6208.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_6204.jpg
    IMG_6204.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 218

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gorgeous ram pizza and beer! I want to be your friend. Congratulations on your lifestyle upgrade and looks like the work was well worth the rewards.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a perfect first sheep hunt. Congrats on your guys’ successful ram double, but are you sure you really want to do it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely want to do it again--successful or not, it was a great time. Even looked to see how late Stone Sheep hunts go and what a cancellation hunt would run me--maybe do a part II to the "Fight with the Misses: a How To Guide" I posted last year. Seeing the prices, and already having a Kotz trip in a few weeks with her father, I expect she and I would have a serious conversation if I went and dropped that kind of cash on another hunt combined with another few weeks off work. I'll just have to wait till next summer I guess.

Stid2677

WKR
Was a great treat for me to share in the enthusiasm of your first ram. Thanks for sharing your fire, food and fellowship with a fellow sheep hunter. The Lord looked after this old sheep dog, even though I passed on a ram, he still provided for me. Congrats to you and your fine partner.

Steve

jVuMnv1h.jpg

Snyd

WKR
Way to go Will!! It warms my heart to see local boys getting some rams!..literally with Daltons ram in the other thread. I'm sheep huntin through you guys this year. Man, I miss sheep ribs!

CarlTuesday

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats. Way to follow thru on the plan and get it done.

I've been thinking of similar motivation for myself since I'm up here in AK but have yet to go sheep chasing myself. Good to see this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super awesome! Congrats on a great ram and a great trip! Sheep by the campfire with Mr Stid is amongst my most cherished memories, you lucked out sir!

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed

Agree with you Becca, 100%. Also have to throw some accolades your way--really enjoy seeing the way you and the Mr. get that little one out there an involved in your hunting lifestyle. We had a dinner party back at the end of July with a bunch of folks down dip-netting and staying with us. The topic came up about at what age we get our little ones out there and completely involved. I used Luke's FB page as an example of why its never too early and the ways to make it most enjoyable and safe for their tender ears.

Here are a couple more sheep photos, mine, my buds, and then the one we let walk, that was 99% certainly the oldest and legal, but to our novice eyes, we simply couldn't be certain in the field and did not want to risk it.

Attachments

• IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_5859.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6012.jpg
    IMG_6012.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 145

ChrisS

WKR
... maybe do a part II to the "Fight with the Misses: a How To Guide" I posted last year.
Congrats on the great rams! I'm jealous of the resident sheep hunters in AK.

My company just opened up a bunch of potential positions to central AK. I forwarded the email to my wife that we could relocate instead of me spending a big chunk of coin on a guided hunt. Her response email was not supportive.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the great rams! I'm jealous of the resident sheep hunters in AK.

My company just opened up a bunch of potential positions to central AK. I forwarded the email to my wife that we could relocate instead of me spending a big chunk of coin on a guided hunt. Her response email was not supportive.

Unfortunately Alaska is full already. Sorry. :D