First Rifle/Scope Purchase for Hunting

rootacres

WKR
Hello all,

I drew the late October all legal coues tag in Arizona and I'm looking to purchase my first hunting rig. This is my second year hunting, as I had archery antelope and mule/whitetail hunts last year, but this will be my first hunt looking to use a rifle. My budget is around $1500 for both and I have some primary options but wanted to get other opinons. I'm primarily looking at a Tikka T3x Lite in .270 winchester with an Meopta Optika 6 2.5-15x44 30mm or 3 - 18x44 30 mm (still not sure if wanna go SFP or FFP). I'm looking to use this primarilly for deer, antelope (if ever drawn lol), and barbary sheep. Appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

Congrats on drawing the tag. Id say get as many reps in as you can with that new rifle. Increasing your effective range will help your success probability when hunting the grey ghost. What unit did you draw? I did the same hunt back in 2021.

What I would also probably factor in, buy the best binoculars you can afford and a good tripod to glass off of. Those two items may be more important than the rifle on that hunt. The classifieds on this forum is a good place to go to buy used gear.

OP
D
Congrats on drawing the tag. Id say get as many reps in as you can with that new rifle. Increasing your effective range will help your success probability when hunting the grey ghost. What unit did you draw? I did the same hunt back in 2021.

What I would also probably factor in, buy the best binoculars you can afford and a good tripod to glass off of. Those two items may be more important than the rifle on that hunt. The classifieds on this forum is a good place to go to buy used gear.
I drew 36A. I have Diamondback 15x56 currently & and am planning on getting a SLIK tripod. Not sure if i want to spend more on the binos but we’ll see! I don’t think i can swing over $1k for binos this year!

OP
D

Definitely going to get as many round as possible!

OP
D
Got the scope mounted up! Had to play with the rings a little bit but got it figured out! The mag ring will bind if too far forward and the bolt barely clears the rear ring. Got it level with the defensive edge kit & a plumb bob.

Last edited:
Reactions: NSI
Drew a late season ca deer tag for rifle. I’ve only hunted bows my adult life and am looking at getting a good entry level rifle that I could shoot elk with as well. I have. .223 vanguard rem with Nikon optics but after doing research looks as though I’m gonna try to sale the smaller rifle
To try and acquire something larger caliber. Budget is an issue but depending on how the sale of the other rifle goes I have a little working room on price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
Got the scope mounted up! Had to play with the rings a little bit but got it figured out! The mag ring will bind if too far forward and the bolt barely clears the rear ring. Got it level with the defensive edge kit & a plumb bob.
May have mounted my rings too close but, i just tried to go as far apart without hitting the taper. The bolt binds up on the rear ring so either gonna dremel that down or move the rear ring forward a little bit

OP
D
Drew a late season ca deer tag for rifle. I’ve only hunted bows my adult life and am looking at getting a good entry level rifle that I could shoot elk with as well. I have. .223 vanguard rem with Nikon optics but after doing research looks as though I’m gonna try to sale the smaller rifle
To try and acquire something larger caliber. Budget is an issue but depending on how the sale of the other rifle goes I have a little working room on price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you are in the boat i was in a month ago!

OP
D
Finally, made it out to the range today to sight in the Tikka! It was a blast to shoot! I was able to get sighted in at 100 yards! Started off bore sighting at 50, got on paper, and then went from there. It took me some time to figure out the adjustment as when i first started shooting i was adjusting my reticle opposite of what i wanted. Even after my first 100 yard group that was left of center, i tried to adjust it and ended up adjusting off the paper lol. I eventually got it back which is when i shot the 2nd group! It was a solid day at the range. Used a Harris 9-13 bipod and the S2H jelly fish rear bag! Also used 140g Hornady ELDM (haven’t decided what i want to use on the hunt but may be this tbh)

The Sub Moa group was before i adjusted too far left off the paper (Rounds 10-13) and the bigger group was my last 4 (Rounds 31-34).

But my goal was just to sight in and get familiar/comfortable with the gun and scope. They are both too sweet, the recoil was very manageable. Also, appreciate all the help received on here and the info, has made this process of my first rifle a lot smoother and easier. Have a lot more to learn and a lot more shooting to do.