First Rifle/Scope Purchase for Hunting

Hello all,

I drew the late October all legal coues tag in Arizona and I'm looking to purchase my first hunting rig. This is my second year hunting, as I had archery antelope and mule/whitetail hunts last year, but this will be my first hunt looking to use a rifle. My budget is around $1500 for both and I have some primary options but wanted to get other opinons. I'm primarily looking at a Tikka T3x Lite in .270 winchester with an Meopta Optika 6 2.5-15x44 30mm or 3 - 18x44 30 mm (still not sure if wanna go SFP or FFP). I'm looking to use this primarilly for deer, antelope (if ever drawn lol), and barbary sheep. Appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

OP
D
Got my scope and seems to have some wear marks, I did purchase it from Cameraland via Amazon. It looks like wear marks from rings, not sure if this is normal, tbh this is my first new scope. It’s nothing crazy. Just looks like the finish was rubbed/worn through a little bit. It’s going on a hunting build so i’m sure it’ll get character soon.
IMG_0559.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 24

Matt5266

WKR
It's hard to tell but it appears used. If it were me and I paid for new, I would return it and either request a new one or buy elsewhere. You never know how tight rings were torqued or if there is some other issue.

By the way nice choice on the rifle. It will serve you well for any game you pursue. Good luck

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! Did a ton of research on here, this is a great database of information. Definitely appreciative of all the people who do reviews on guns/optics.
Yea, definitely can't go wrong with 6.5cm. It's a great all around cartridge. You picked a great rifle as well. Tikkas are insane quality for the money.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Perfect rifle choice. Questionable on scope, and a nice opportunity to undo that. Go with any mil based Trij, NF, SWFA, or try to find a Maven rs1.2.

-J

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Not everyone has the budget for those. OP is trying to stay within $1500 for the entire rig.
NF SHV F1 is 1100.
Trij credos are 750 used
Maven is 1200
SWFA 10x is 400

Plenty of options in 1500 total with a 700 tikka. Wasted ammo on wandering zeros or constant zero checking is also expensive.

-J

RobHazmat89

Lil-Rokslider
NF SHV F1 is 1100.
Trij credos are 750 used
Maven is 1200
SWFA 10x is 400

Plenty of options in 1500 total with a 700 tikka. Wasted ammo on wandering zeros or constant zero checking is also expensive.

-J
Wouldn't want anything used. Never know what the guy before you did to it. NF/Maven puts him a decent amount over budget. SWFA could work, but honestly we're at a point where you don't have to spend over $1000 to get a decent optic for your rifle. Plenty of guys putting meat in their freezers with budget optics.

OP
D
Pretty sure the credo 3-9 is like $550 on eurooptic. Assuming the tikka was around $800 it should be within the budget.
The credo 3-9 would be in my budget, would definitely consider that one. I’m in $100 on rings, wouldn’t mind going up to $800 on the scope as long as I can get it on Amazon and use their payment plan.

Reactions: NSI
OP
D
Would the 3-9 magnification range be good if i was hoping to shoot max 600 yards? Most things i read said it’d be solid for 400-500. Not looking to take longer shots than 600 but would be nice to stretch it out wt the range