First Pronghorn Hunt DIY

I've read and watched videos about hunting Pronghorn (plus Muleys and Elk). Its alot of information to take in at once. Most people recommend finding a mentor because learning from someone with experience is hard to beat. I don't know many hunters so i'm reaching out to you guys.

As as first time Pronghorn hunter (really first time hunter), what tip/trick have you learned from hunting these animals? Or the one best piece of advice you would tell someone that comes from experience?

Pronghorn is a great curious animal to start with. Wind in your face , glass a lot and make sure your proficient shooting at distance. Most of all have fun , you should see a bunch.

Get high, stay off ridge lines and glass,glass and glass somemore, Practice using the terraine as cover to attempt to close the distance once you lock onto one, as stated range time get proficient at a minimun of 400 yards and watch the wind.

ckleeves

WKR
The best antelope hunting advice is don’t be a jackass. Don’t shoot at running goats, don’t shoot from your vehicle, hike around rather then just road hunting and don’t shoot beyond your ability.

Antelope are not hard to hunt (most places), so it’s much more fun to hike around, look at a few goats and make it a hunt rather then just a harvest.

Get high, stay off ridge lines and glass,glass and glass somemore, Practice using the terraine as cover to attempt to close the distance once you lock onto one, as stated range time get proficient at a minimun of 400 yards and watch the wind.
^^^ This! You’ll be surprised how close you can get to animals in what is seemingly wide open country. Creek bottoms, natural folds in the land, even getting low and crawling if you have to. Mind the wind.

As a mule deer hunter, I started out using magnum cartridges that shot flat so I could reach out farther. One year, I saw a barely legal 3x3 on the last day. He was about a 1/2 mile off. I decided to see how close I could get. I shot him out of his bed at about 25 yards. It was one of those most exciting stalks I’d had to that point.

It’s doable!

j_volt

WKR
It's all here

SwiftShot

WKR
I've read and watched videos about hunting Pronghorn (plus Muleys and Elk). Its alot of information to take in at once. Most people recommend finding a mentor because learning from someone with experience is hard to beat. I don't know many hunters so i'm reaching out to you guys.

As as first time Pronghorn hunter (really first time hunter), what tip/trick have you learned from hunting these animals? Or the one best piece of advice you would tell someone that comes from experience?
This goes for many animals not just Pronghorn. Do not pass on the first day what you would gladly take on the last day. You also cant go big unless you are willing to eat a tag. The evolution of most hunters is. 1 get the species, 2 get the biggest of the species possible, looking for records. 3 not about tagging out or monsters just the hunt. Living for that moment.

EdP

WKR
Use GoogleEarth or OnX Hunt or other software to find broken terrain you can hunt. As others said, get off the road and on your feet. Walk a while, stop and glass a while, repeat. Don't let yourself get skylined.

Did you draw a tag?

In addition to the other suggestions, don't forget about advance planning and drawing a tag. I would say if you have not drawn a tag for this season and are not a WY resident, but plan to hunt in the future, there is a bit of admin work to do. Here are a few things to do right now. If you are a WY resident, then you can relax a bit, but not much. Go to the WY fish and game website and set up a profile. Right now you can purchase a preference points for Antelope, Deer and Elk. Those points will help you for next year and the following years when you have studied a little more and are ready to put for the draw and the units you want to hunt. Yes, folks do get drawn without preference points, but odds are much better in your favor if you have a point or two (some more desirable units more). It is easy to do, start with going to the WY fish and game website. They explain in great detail how the draws work, plenty of info on how to hunt Antelope, harvest reports for each unit, etc. Good Luck and have fun!

Disclaimer - I have only one season of pronghorn hunting (archery/successful) under my belt. Just wanted to mention, in addition to what's already been shared, I see a lot more goats once I'm out of my car and on foot. Lots of times what seemed to be a handful of animals from distance turns out to be a dozen or more once you're up close.

For archery, as I'm sure you've seen, the most common successful tactic is to sit over water. Just find an area with sparse water access, and look for tracks and sign. Usually not too spooky with blinds. Could do something similar with rifle, but from a vantage point farther away.

If you do end up doing spot and stalk, highly recommend waiting until you have a high percentage stalk with the buck's eyes blocked. I see a lot of people on youtube just trying to force their way in on a herd, which I don't see working very well. Anyway, the above advice will serve you well esp if rifle hunting. Good luck!