first pack

whats up guys, looking into getting my first pack. i'm a turkey and duck guy but my girlfriend decided she likes deer. i've killed quite a few deer but never been super into it. every pack in hunt i've done i borrowed a tenzing but thats no longer an option. looking at an elkhorn based on everything ive seen on the form but also saw skre has a pack. we normally just day hunt but are planning on doing a few long weekend hunts. looking for input, hows the zipper on the elkhorn? thats the only thing that kinda throws me off. i know you can make a bigger pack smaller but what size would you guys suggest.

I think the elk horn is a youth pack?Something like a hill people gear Ute would be a good everything pack that could do a light day trip up to a long weekend deer trip with middle of the road gear and would last a long time. Exo 3500 (breakaway pack if you think you will be hauling deer long distances often) and seek outside Gila (if you want lightweight - less important for a weekend warrior bag) would all be worth a look as well in that size and capability range.

If you are running bulky gear like a synthetic sleeping bag or you think you might be carrying stuff for your girlfriend don’t be afraid to go bigger like the 5000 cu in range.

OP
S
I think the elk horn is a youth pack?Something like a hill people gear Ute would be a good everything pack that could do a light day trip up to a long weekend deer trip with middle of the road gear and would last a long time. Exo 3500 (breakaway pack if you think you will be hauling deer long distances often) and seek outside Gila (if you want lightweight - less important for a weekend warrior bag) would all be worth a look as well in that size and capability range.

If you are running bulky gear like a synthetic sleeping bag or you think you might be carrying stuff for your girlfriend don’t be afraid to go bigger like the 5000 cu in range.
thanks for the input! didn't realize the elk horn was a youth pack!

bliner

FNG
You could also consider this. It’s a good deal on a quality but discontinued pack.

OP
S
bliner thanks for the heads up! they only have small and medium and id need a large so thats a bummer. the search continues

OP
S
i did find the same pack (metcalf 2023) for the same price on mountain archery which is a site i've never heard of. anyone ever ordered off of there?

I’ve ordered stone glacier and MR from that website. They’re all good. If just for a day pack I’ve got a Kuiu divide which I like. Works for anything I don’t need my bigger SG pack for