First muzzleloader sight question

I drew an Idaho elk short range weapons tag by mistake. Long story but I got caught up in the online craziness and when it was my turn and the system unfroze I had 3 minutes to complete my transaction. I panicked! So 19A it is.

Anyway as I look at muzzleloaders and western sight options I see some of them have the rear sight fairly far forward and some of the are much farther back. I have no intention of taking a crazy long shot. The less costly options seem to have the rear sight set forward. What are the pros and cons of this arrangement? I am sure I want the globe sight with the fine crosshairs so I don't cover too much of the target.

Bluefish

WKR
Not sure why they move the sights forward, but it doesn’t seem to cause any issues at 100 ish yards. With open sights I can get 2” accuracy at 100 yards with a forward mounted rear sight. any further than that and my eyes are not good enough to make out the sights And target Well. I did get a peep sight to try and make it better, then moved states and can now use a scope, so never tried it out.

Never elk hunted but I do hunt Whitetails with flintlocks and have used percussion guns. I am a fan of iron sights, the rear sight seems to get moved forward as one’s eyes age to make a clear picture. If I were hunting and fiber optics were legal they do give you a few more minutes of hunting time in low light conditions. The rear peep and globe front are used a lot for precision target shooting. They would possibly be okay for hunting. In the black powder shoots I compete in they are adjustable so can’t use them. I hunt with the sights I compete with, fixed iron.

My preference is a peep sight set as far rearward as possible with a front fiber optic globe.

If I have to use open sights, a peep sight is my choice hands down. I like a Peep Rib or Ace in the hole type rail with peep so I can easily use a scope for load development and then a peep for hunting. Using a scope for load development makes a huge difference.

My current favorite is a Williams peep rib rear with a Williams Western Precision fiber optic front globe.

Nearly all peep sights use removable apertures so you can use a larger or smaller one to suit your eyes and the light conditions. The size of the aperture affects how your eye focuses on the front bead. For me, the Merit adjustable iris aperture is nice.

As far as I know, there are no advantages to a rear sight set further forward.

CMF

WKR
Never elk hunted but I do hunt Whitetails with flintlocks and have used percussion guns. I am a fan of iron sights, the rear sight seems to get moved forward as one’s eyes age to make a clear picture. If I were hunting and fiber optics were legal they do give you a few more minutes of hunting time in low light conditions. The rear peep and globe front are used a lot for precision target shooting. They would possibly be okay for hunting. In the black powder shoots I compete in they are adjustable so can’t use them. I hunt with the sights I compete with, fixed iron.
where are fiber optics not legal?

SwiftShot

WKR
I drew an Idaho elk short range weapons tag by mistake. Long story but I got caught up in the online craziness and when it was my turn and the system unfroze I had 3 minutes to complete my transaction. I panicked! So 19A it is.

Anyway as I look at muzzleloaders and western sight options I see some of them have the rear sight fairly far forward and some of the are much farther back. I have no intention of taking a crazy long shot. The less costly options seem to have the rear sight set forward. What are the pros and cons of this arrangement? I am sure I want the globe sight with the fine crosshairs so I don't cover too much of the target.
Picked up a CVA wolf. The rear sight is foward. Played with it. She will hit an orange out to 200 yards. Gun was like 300 or less. The key is to actually put in some serious range time. I mean spend more on practice ammo than you did on the rifle. That cheap gun has many bulls on it from my oldest boy and quite a few bears. It also has had pounds of powder. Shoot shoot shoot.

The back sights tend to give longer axis this less deviation, ie more accurate.

Delta21

FNG
My preference is a peep sight set as far rearward as possible with a front fiber optic globe.

If I have to use open sights, a peep sight is my choice hands down. I like a Peep Rib or Ace in the hole type rail with peep so I can easily use a scope for load development and then a peep for hunting. Using a scope for load development makes a huge difference.

My current favorite is a Williams peep rib rear with a Williams Western Precision fiber optic front globe.

Nearly all peep sights use removable apertures so you can use a larger or smaller one to suit your eyes and the light conditions. The size of the aperture affects how your eye focuses on the front bead. For me, the Merit adjustable iris aperture is nice.

As far as I know, there are no advantages to a rear sight set further forward.
I just ordered this setup. Did you have trouble with the peep rail not setting level on barrel? I’ve never had one do these setups so I may be missing something? But the barrel tapers down about 3-4 inches from the breech chamber. Half the rail sits in the chamber and half in the barrel, but where it tapers causes a see saw effect in the rail? Any thoughts?

I just ordered this setup. Did you have trouble with the peep rail not setting level on barrel? I’ve never had one do these setups so I may be missing something? But the barrel tapers down about 3-4 inches from the breech chamber. Half the rail sits in the chamber and half in the barrel, but where it tapers causes a see saw effect in the rail? Any thoughts?
Haven’t had that trouble. Which make and model rifle are you putting it on?

I'd say the main disadvantage of having it forward is seeing through it in low light. Once you get the sights take it outside at the end of legal shooting light and test the difference between the two positions. The peep in the back is way easier to see through the closer it is to your eye. White highlighter around the peep ring and center of the crosshairs helps a bit too.

Traditions vortek.
Hmmm. I shoot TCs, Savages and Whites. Don’t know anything about CVAs or Traditions.

Assuming you’re using the correct version of the rail for that rifle, maybe you could bed the rail a little to make it more solid? How much see-saw are you talking about?

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
You want your rear sight, regardless of style, as far back as practical. The longer the sight line, the better between rear and front. I have several TC's, Renegades (flint and cap) and Cherokee (cap) and one Perdersoli Scout (flintlock). The Renegades all have a factory peep sight on the tang. The Cherokee I still use the factory rear sight because I haven't found a peep for it. On the Scout I use a Marble's Bullseye sight, which is amazing for my eye and so idiot proof I can shoot hole-on-hole at 50 yards.

You can find a lot of options out there but it is going to depend on which gun you are using, the shape of the stock, if you have existing mounting holes or need to tap, etc. Many factors. The closer to your eye, the better with the rear sight, regardless of style. A green fiber optic front is my preference if legal.

While the bullseye sight may not fit very far back if mounted in an existing dovetail, it is nearly foolproof as your eye will naturally align the front bead in the center of the inner circle.

Examples:
bullseye sight
TC factory peep

Delta21

FNG
Hmmm. I shoot TCs, Savages and Whites. Don’t know anything about CVAs or Traditions.

Assuming you’re using the correct version of the rail for that rifle, maybe you could bed the rail a little to make it more solid? How much see-saw are you talking about?
I verified I do have correct mount for that model. I thought about the epoxy bed but I don’t know. Seems like a lot of room. See pics

Attachments

• IMG_1970.jpeg
    IMG_1970.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 13

Delta21

FNG
Yeah, that looks sketchy. How long is that Rail?
6 inches. I may just send back and go with regular rear sight. In Arkansas we can use a scope so having to go scope less will be a once in several year deal. Changing out wouldn’t be too big of a deal

6 inches. I may just send back and go with regular rear sight. In Arkansas we can use a scope so having to go scope less will be a once in several year deal. Changing out wouldn’t be too big of a deal
The EABCO is only about 4.5” or so IIRC. May work better if you wanted to try something different.

Delta21

FNG
The EABCO is only about 4.5” or so IIRC. May work better if you wanted to try something different.
I’ve got that too, someone told me there wasn’t enough elevation to mate up with the Williams globe sight? I havnt had a chance to mount and try yet. But the EAB does mate up better to the barrel.