First Lite Obsidians, better than Kanabs but…

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
As I sit here sewing up my 3rd hole in 3 seasons (prolly 50 days?) they’ve definitely improved over the old Kanabs (those ripped in winds above 15mph lol) but if they weren’t so dang comfortable (warm in cold, not too hot in warm, shed a little water, and can ventilate a considerable sweat) I might move on.

image.jpg

(Try not to laugh at my stitch job!)

I see quite a few in the classifieds, what are you guys trading them off for? Is durability the issue?

rm06

WKR
These are the best pants for warm weather, period. Snags are the main enemy, mine have been surprisingly durable otherwise. I hate, hate, hate the waist sizing with the garbage elastic and the suspenders are worthless unless g-string fit is your thing (not judging). My buddy came from the Kanab to the new Foundry Obsidian and while the fit is seemingly better and the suspenders actually useful, they're more than half nylon and lack the extreme breathability and versatility of the predecessor.

Despite the shortcomings, these are the best pants for warm weather hunting. Probably beyond as well but I have too many pants which take over at that point.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
I tried a pair of obsidians a couple years ago and really liked the fit and the material for all the same reasons listed above but after about 20 days worth of North Idaho archery hunting (brush swimming) the crotch was worn through and the legs looked like swiss cheese from all the snag tears. I emailed FL customer service and they refunded me with a store credit, I bought a pair of corrugates and have had great luck with them.IMG_20230910_155108262.jpg

i killed 3 pairs, each in less than a week of use, they 're just no where near durable enough. switched over to sitka apex (no longer made), and 3 seasons in they are still going strong.

Macintosh

WKR
I have 2 pair of obsidians. I dont really backpack in them and consider them lighter use pants simply bc I have others I prefer for areas I tend to cover more ground…But probably have 40-50 days on one, and 75 on the other over 7-8 years. I bought them for the quiet non-cotton fabric. I have plenty of synthetic pants that are similar, but in all cases I find those pants loud (for treestand archery hunting whitetails and tracking/still hunting whitetails). I like my obsidians and have no intention of trading them in until a better option comes along that is similarly quiet (im not sure if that exists, if so I have not found it). I have not had nearly the durability issues others have. Certainly not like the picture above—maybe my balls are just “less obtrusive”? 😁