First Lite new whitetail system

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like their new system just dropped, prices are pretty steep. The ‘Core’ kit runs $900 for coat/bibs and the ‘Thermic’ kit is $1000

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
All 3 systems seem to check the boxes for what one would be looking for. Very heavy on the price though as you said.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm a big First Lite guy, but I gotta say I don't get the bibs/coat system even as as SE Whitetail guy. I layer as needed which includes a heavy jacket. And I wear pants and layer under as needed. I guess bibs are better at preserving core temps when stationary, but I'll spend 100 days+ whitetail hunting this year and I just don't see the versatility. Its without fail 30-40 in the mornings and 55-70 during the day, so you gotta layer anyway.

I'm a big First Lite guy, but I gotta say I don't get the bibs/coat system even as as SE Whitetail guy. I layer as needed which includes a heavy jacket. And I wear pants and layer under as needed. I guess bibs are better at preserving core temps when stationary, but I'll spend 100 days+ whitetail hunting this year and I just don't see the versatility. It’s without fail 30-40 in the mornings and 55-70 during the day, so you gotta layer anyway.
I hate wearing bibs, but when temps hit 20s/30s they are much better than layering pants. For your temps I wouldn’t be messing with them either.

Hoping the new bibs are better than Sitka, but I’ll wait for the reviews before buying more first lite whitetail stuff.

ChrisAU

WKR
I hate wearing bibs, but when temps hit 20s/30s they are much better than layering pants. For your temps I wouldn’t be messing with them either.

Hoping the new bibs are better than Sitka, but I’ll wait for the reviews before buying more first lite whitetail stuff.

Yeah I could see it being nice for those 2-3 mornings we get in the teens ha. I'll just use 15 hot hands stuffed in every crevice for those mornings lol. Admittedly ignorant on midwest whitetail hunting, I could also see the windproofing being a much bigger deal there than it is here.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
$325 on a jacket to wear from 45-60 (the Phase) seems ridiculously steep to me. I really like there Catalyst at those temperatures I got for maybe $100 on sale, but in all honesty an Academy brand fleece for a 10th the price of their new jacket will work at those temps without much issue.

In fairness wind is not a factor for me, so maybe if I wasn’t hunting timber in the South my opinion would change.

bigbahksdude

Lil-Rokslider
Been waiting for true windproof from FL on their whitetail gear - but those prices are pretty unpalatable.

$500 for a coat is pretty brutal, $325 for the warm season jacket is a little better so long as they built it with room to layer. Maybe that jacket could be used as a shell that could span seasons? I for sure have spent many a day in my saddle in Upstate NY and PA wishing that my Catalyst had Windstopper. And I'd love to just have one shell jacket and be able to layer for whatever weather underneath. Better for hiking in and out of the woods that way. But still $325 for a warm season jacket is some serious jingle.

I guess they're trying to match Sitka? But I always assumed Sitka's pricing reflected including Gortex technology. I guess I'd also want to know how FL's windproofing stacks up to Gortex on breathability.

Going to be honest, had higher hopes for more reasonable prices.

Yeah I could see it being nice for those 2-3 mornings we get in the teens ha. I'll just use 15 hot hands stuffed in every crevice for those mornings lol. Admittedly ignorant on midwest whitetail hunting, I could also see the windproofing being a much bigger deal there than it is here.
Wind proofing is huge and that’s what the original first lite lacked.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t figure out why they insist on bibs.

I’ve yet to find bibs that properly fit me. In turn I wear pants. Give me a pants option with the same tech and specs.

I currently have mostly Sitka uppers

Wind proofing is huge and that’s what the original first lite lacked.

sasquatch

WKR
I'm a big First Lite guy, but I gotta say I don't get the bibs/coat system even as as SE Whitetail guy. I layer as needed which includes a heavy jacket. And I wear pants and layer under as needed. I guess bibs are better at preserving core temps when stationary, but I'll spend 100 days+ whitetail hunting this year and I just don't see the versatility. Its without fail 30-40 in the mornings and 55-70 during the day, so you gotta layer anyway.

Personally like bibs, much more freedom in the waist area and just more comfortable. To me that is. Also, a big help in eliminating lower back draft

I wish more ppl made very lightweight bibs myself to replace pants

But I don’t see anything revolutionary here. The sales on the solitude line look very good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
One other thing I would say in regard to pricing is that first lite offers big discounts a few times a year. If you wait for those sales I think you can get these pretty reasonable.

The new "core" stuff looks just like the solitude stuff. And the solitude jacket and version 2 of the bibs were already windproof, so I'm not sure what they upgraded?

Ho5tile1

WKR
I still think the Fanatic is better think I will stick with that. If I didn’t have anything I may take a look but I still like the layout of the fanatic jacket better. If you want a hood though the fanatic don’t have one and I’m glad it don’t as I don’t use hoods they just make everything more bulky imo. I’ve always used the Sitka neck gaiter with the fanatic hoody if I use it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally like bibs, much more freedom in the waist area and just more comfortable. To me that is. Also, a big help in eliminating lower back draft

I wish more ppl made very lightweight bibs myself to replace pants

But I don’t see anything revolutionary here. The sales on the solitude line look very good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Duluth makes a “gardening bib” that works great for warm weather hunting. It’s synthetic and 4 way stretch.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
Being from the northeast and sometimes hunting on open AG fields, sitting on the field edge, or in a tree on the edge, as that wind comes across the field, you would get it then.
I’ve gone out for an evening sit when the high temp was 10 degrees, and we always seem to have a good wind.🥶
You are correct that it’s not that versatile, and that layering is the way to go.
I love to still hunt public land, and layer as you speak of while doing it, but when sitting late season on open fields I wear my layers under my bibs and parka😜
The cost for these garments is way too pricey for me!

BK12

FNG
I mostly have FL clothing. But a 30% increase from the prior line seems rich. Did they add 30% more features to justify the cost? I guess inflation is real!