First Lite Gaiter Sizing Issue

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else think the new gaiters from FL are horribly undersized? I can't even get the top part of the gaiters attached around my bare ankle, let alone over boots and pants. For reference, I'm 5' 8" 165# and have normal sized legs and calves, definitely not oversized in any way. Apparently they're only offered in one size so these simply won't work. I really like the design and weight of the gaiters but they're going to have to fix the sizing before I own another pair.

Anyhow, I've got a brand new pair in dry earth if anyone wants them, otherwise I'm going to return them. I paid $34, I'll sell them for $30 TYD.

mmw194287

WKR
Great...I just ordered a pair the other day. I was confused by the sizing because most retailers show them as OSFA, but the First Lite website shows options for a S and a L....I guess I'll see what they look like when they get here tomorrow.

OP
Ceby7

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
Great...I just ordered a pair the other day. I was confused by the sizing because most retailers show them as OSFA, but the First Lite website shows options for a S and a L....I guess I'll see what they look like when they get here tomorrow.

I ordered from Black Ovis and it was OSFA, but the gaiters do have a L marked on them. I can only imagine how tiny the smalls would be!

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
Yea , I've got a pair that I just emailed the dealer I bought them from about , too small is an understatement . They were listed as one size fits all , even on First Lite's site until recently . Just online with First Lite customer service , they said to return them to dealer I got them from , they also say the gaitors won't fit over big boots like Danners , when I said I'm having problems with them and 10.5 Salomon quests their response was dang, try the new large size , they should be out around October . Seems to me somebody at First Lite had to know these gaitors wouldn't fit properly , and if they didn't at least own up to a problem with them . I like their clothing , I have quite a bit of it , but after today's online chat session with them I won't have anymore .

They look tiny in every photo I've seen, also when they came out they were marketed as going under your pants, over the top of your boot and sock.

I have a pair and they fit in my Salomon quest 4d 2 GTX and my Lowa tibets. Have to max out the strap though. Perfect for trail runners. Will most likely stay with my kuiu gaitors for the heavy lifting this fall.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
I probably could get the strap through the buckle with my Quests on but its a struggle , strap maxed about out , I did see how they said over boot , under the pants , but they are still too small . Emailed Steve at S&S Archery , he said send em back to him no problem , so they are going back , shoulda kept my Kuiu's but wanted a lower style gaiter , I'll probably look at O R's

I probably could get the strap through the buckle with my Quests on but its a struggle , strap maxed about out , I did see how they said over boot , under the pants , but they are still too small . Emailed Steve at S&S Archery , he said send em back to him no problem , so they are going back , shoulda kept my Kuiu's but wanted a lower style gaiter , I'll probably look at O R's

Check out the flex techs if your looking for a gaiter in the same category as the FL's, except they will actually fit.

gmajor

WKR
That's a bummer. Have to imagine they'll get it sorted though, all of my interactions with FL have been superb.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the flex techs if your looking for a gaiter in the same category as the FL's, except they will actually fit.

Good call , the Flex Techs are the ones I was considering , hearing that they'll actually fit clinches it

That's a bummer. Have to imagine they'll get it sorted though, all of my interactions with FL have been superb.

Hopefully they will , I am still surprised by their responses about the fit , and disappointed

mmw194287

WKR
Now the First Lite website shows the L/XL out of stock in both colors. Two days ago (before I ordered from Black Ovis) their site showed the L/XL as available. Mine should show up today, so I guess we'll see how they fit over sz13 Quests...but I'm not holding my breath. Pretty disappointing.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
Now the First Lite website shows the L/XL out of stock in both colors. Two days ago (before I ordered from Black Ovis) their site showed the L/XL as available. Mine should show up today, so I guess we'll see how they fit over sz13 Quests...but I'm not holding my breath. Pretty disappointing.

Yea , they told me they would probably be back in stock around October , the pair I sent back for being too small were marked L , but listed as one size fits all . Hope yours are a better fit , I've got a pair of OR's Flex Tech's on the way , a few bucks more than the First Lite but the forever guarantee and fit should ease the price sting a bit

mmw194287

WKR
Wow....even worse than I thought. I don't have giant calves by any means, but I couldn't even get within inches of closing around the top or bottom, even with the strap maxed out. I could barely get the velco to touch in one spot. I'm a big FL fan and have a ton of their stuff, but this is pretty crazy. Wonder why these even shipped (marked as L)? Almost like it was a bad trial run.

View attachment 27404
They do stretch, but as you can see the circumference at the calf end is shorter than my watchband.
View attachment 27405

dotman

WKR
Well looks like they missed the boat on this item but knowing FL and the CS I've had with them over the years, they'll make it right and get the product fixed/corrected.

Guys,
The gaitors absolutely run small and we did a lousey job explaining it on the site. We got our wires crossed with the factory and they ended up shipping only one small size. We will have a larger size next year hopefully sooner, as well as tall bad weather gaitors. In the meantime if you have either big feet ,larger than 10, or big calfs they will be too small. If you ordered them from us directly we will send out a free return shipping label for anybody that ordered them before we fixed the website to explain the sizes. Thanks-Kenton

hflier

WKR
Guys,
The gaitors absolutely run small and we did a lousey job explaining it on the site. We got our wires crossed with the factory and they ended up shipping only one small size. We will have a larger size next year hopefully sooner, as well as tall bad weather gaitors. In the meantime if you have either big feet ,larger than 10, or big calfs they will be too small. If you ordered them from us directly we will send out a free return shipping label for anybody that ordered them before we fixed the website to explain the sizes. Thanks-Kenton

Guys I love your stuff, but you missed the damn airport on this one. I don't know of another human being these Gaiters would fit. I am trying to return mine through Eric Bean outdoors. I hope you have a serious corrective action on this one quick. I sold my previous KUIU Gaiters because I trusted FL to produce a better product. I am not normally this hard, but wow.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
Guys I love your stuff, but you missed the damn airport on this one. I don't know of another human being these Gaiters would fit. I am trying to return mine through Eric Bean outdoors. I hope you have a serious corrective action on this one quick. I sold my previous KUIU Gaiters because I trusted FL to produce a better product. I am not normally this hard, but wow.

Ditto , I sold my Kuiu gaiters here in the classified adds when I ordered the First Lite gaiters , I am baffled as to why the dealers were not notified of the problem by First Lite and why First Lites own CS rep as of yesterday could not tell me what Kenton stated in his post . This really bugs me as I really like First Lite gear , my dealer is taking mine back , I did not purchase direct from First Lite but I think I am out shipping both ways (at least one way) Trust is a hard thing to earn . I'm ticked , sold my Kuiu gaiters that fit based on trust in First Lite and ended up with nothing but shipping costs .