First Lite extreme cold weather test

Rbelt280

FNG
Hi all,

Tomorrow AM I'm headed out on a snowmobile to a back country cabin on the MN/Canadian border. I'll be bringing my predator calls so instead of bringing my regular winter gear and all my ASAT, I'm simply going to wear my FL stuff only. The forecast for Sunday will be a high of -18F and low of -40f. That's before wind.

Up top, I'm going to layer Llano, Chama, Uncompaghre puffy and the Boundary storm tight. My legs will be my standard set up: merino base, fleece pants, 3 later hard shell.

I'll give a full report when I get back to town!

Ryan

I'd add a vest if I were you. Though I had almost the same setup on top for a recent trip in 0* weather and stayed warm. Lookin forward to your return trip report!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd add a vest if I were you. Though I had almost the same setup on top for a recent trip in 0* weather and stayed warm. Lookin forward to your return trip report!

Was that while moving.....or at rest? When I'm on the move I don't need much, but if I'm sitting I start to get chilled when it drops below about 75 or 80.:(

Was that while moving.....or at rest? When I'm on the move I don't need much, but if I'm sitting I start to get chilled when it drops below about 75 or 80.:(

Lol that was just around camp. If I had to sit still for much more than an hour or so I'd likely get cold. Llano+chama+Labrador+puffy kept me more than warm with very mild activity though. I was also wearing their long johns and north branch pants down low.

Mike

Lawnboi

WKR
Careful up there, those are some scary cold temps. Hell is freezing over here in WI. Looking at -50 and lower degree temps with wind chills. Im not crazy enough to venture outside in that.

hflier

WKR
If you sit for long you will struggle. Can't wait for the 2014 new additions from FL. Definitely needed for the cold we have having.

Dang, I thought I had the cold licked with my FL puffy this weekend with temps in the high teens! I am anxious to hear about your trip and how things turned out.

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you got a good system. I have the same top layers as you I dealt with -15 and blizzard conditions on an elk hunt this past season and the first light preformed great..

OP
R

Rbelt280

FNG
Well, the FL stuff performed very well. Saturday morning I was over-heating on the way in cause I was breaking trail and playing in the powder. Once at the shack, I took off the shell and went puffy only over the wool and I was very comfortable while working around the shack. Temps were around -10F and wind was about 15mph. I was very impressed with how it broke the wind. The hood and cuffs worked great to keep the cold air out.

Yesterday am temp was -38F and a little wind. By the time we left, it crept up to a balmy -25F. I had on both wools, puffy and storm tight shell. I rode out on a sled with very little windshield and was riding 40-50 mph. I was comfortable the whole way out. Nearly froze my fingers off, but that's another deal.

I'm usually a down guy and I have to say that the FL stuff impressed. The weight to warmth of the puffy was better than I expected. The shell did a great job of stopping the wind. All cuffs, enclosures did their job. The shell zipper does not want to move at those temps, but not a big deal.

For me, I see no need for soft shell stuff. I use a hard shell all year long for rain so simply adding the puffy underneath takes me into winter just fine.

I never stood around for more than 15-20 minutes. I'm guessing I'd throw a down vest in the mix if I were to go ice fishing, predator hunting or some other sedentary activity.

Now I just need a Halstead fleece and Storm Tight pants and my ASAT collection will be complete!

eleaf

FNG
Well, the FL stuff performed very well. Saturday morning I was over-heating on the way in cause I was breaking trail and playing in the powder. Once at the shack, I took off the shell and went puffy only over the wool and I was very comfortable while working around the shack. Temps were around -10F and wind was about 15mph. I was very impressed with how it broke the wind. The hood and cuffs worked great to keep the cold air out.

Yesterday am temp was -38F and a little wind. By the time we left, it crept up to a balmy -25F. I had on both wools, puffy and storm tight shell. I rode out on a sled with very little windshield and was riding 40-50 mph. I was comfortable the whole way out. Nearly froze my fingers off, but that's another deal.

I'm usually a down guy and I have to say that the FL stuff impressed. The weight to warmth of the puffy was better than I expected. The shell did a great job of stopping the wind. All cuffs, enclosures did their job. The shell zipper does not want to move at those temps, but not a big deal.

For me, I see no need for soft shell stuff. I use a hard shell all year long for rain so simply adding the puffy underneath takes me into winter just fine.

I never stood around for more than 15-20 minutes. I'm guessing I'd throw a down vest in the mix if I were to go ice fishing, predator hunting or some other sedentary activity.

Now I just need a Halstead fleece and Storm Tight pants and my ASAT collection will be complete!

Awesome stuff.

But did you get any coyotes? LOL

I have never been in temps that cold, but it is sure nice to know that my gear from First Lite would work for me.