First Hunting Rifle--6.5PRC Long Term Plan

Hi All,

Currently archery only hunter looking to pick up my first hunting rifle outside of a .22. I'm in the Southeast so Whitetail will be my primary target but want something capable of some western dreams down the road. I'm leaning towards 6.5 PRC for a caliber. (I don't currently reload)

With an initial budget for the rifle only of around $600 what platform would you start with? I would like to be able to hunt with the gun for the 2023 season so I'm open to buying used, or buying a different starting caliber that can be converted to 6.5 PRC if that makes more sense.

Looking at Savage Axis and 110 platforms, Ruger American, and mostly used Tikkas. Is there a source for used actions to build from?

I'm a tinkerer so down the road I would like to have a good platform for carbon stock availability.

I also plan to upgrade the barrel down the road as funds are available.

Thanks for the help and input; apologies if this question has been asked before...the search didn't reveal anything too similar to what I'm asking.

OP
JollyRogers
There are a lot of factors:
  • How stuck are you on a 6.5 PRC?
  • What is your recoil tolerance?
  • What animals do you want to hunt?

Tough to beat a Tikka in 300 WM. Go donate some plasma and take your budget to $750 for a new one. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966527448
  • Not stuck at all, it just seemed to check a lot of boxes based on initial research. Open to anything, .308, 30-06, 6.5CM, 7 rem-mag, etc. admittedly hadn't considered 300WM
  • I don't have a ton of experience with rifles outside of a friends 30-06 and typical AR platforms, that's to say I'm not scared of recoil but in my mind I would lean towards a lower recoiling caliber if given the choice since I'll mostly be shooting solo and being able to follow the trace is appealing.
  • Whitetail and hogs will be the primary game locally. I'm hoping to plan a western hunt about 2-3 years from now targeting antelope and mule deer. Elk currently seems like the largest potential game but is my least likely target to achieve in the near future.

Thanks for the input!

axeforce6

WKR
6.5 PRC is a great choice. Very accurate cartridge and will be more forgiving of wind. Savage builds a great rifle for the money. And the way the action is on a savage it makes for a great platform to build on with the barrel nut. I would stay with the 110 series, not the axis. The issue with savage is there isn't very many great aftermarket stocks for them and the ones they come with are ho-hum.

This would be a great rifle to start with. You could also look into the 7mm PRC if you don't plan to reload. They compare it to factory loaded 300wm with the same weight bullet.

Just realize that it's probably going to take about 1000 rounds to develop the proficiency to actually use the extended range of the prc vs a creedmoor. And that your prc barrel life will be about 1000 rounds.

It's an expensive cartridge to learn long range with.

OP
JollyRogers
6.5 PRC is a great choice. Very accurate cartridge and will be more forgiving of wind. Savage builds a great rifle for the money. And the way the action is on a savage it makes for a great platform to build on with the barrel nut. I would stay with the 110 series, not the axis. The issue with savage is there isn't very many great aftermarket stocks for them and the ones they come with are ho-hum.

This would be a great rifle to start with. You could also look into the 7mm PRC if you don't plan to reload. They compare it to factory loaded 300wm with the same weight bullet.
Honestly the 110 is the direction I was leaning and would be sold if stock availability was better. It seems like the carbon mesa is about the only game in town for this rifle.

That long term build would look something like:
  • Savage 110 Apex Hunter (Sportsmans $519)
  • Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 (I get a discount)
  • Scope Rings TBD
  • Proof Prefit Carbon 22" (I get a discount)
  • Mesa Altitude Savage 110 Stock ($675)
  • Bipod TBD
  • Trigger Upgrade TBD

OP
JollyRogers
Just realize that it's probably going to take about 1000 rounds to develop the proficiency to actually use the extended range of the prc vs a creedmoor. And that your prc barrel life will be about 1000 rounds.

Definitely understood, which is why I'm planning this as a slow build. I'm pretty confident at the inside 200 yards I expect to be shooting deer/pigs locally; and the longer range plans are a couple of years out giving me time to practice and to upgrade the barrel.

ID_Matt

WKR
There are a lot of factors:
  • How stuck are you on a 6.5 PRC?
  • What is your recoil tolerance?
  • What animals do you want to hunt?

Tough to beat a Tikka in 300 WM. Go donate some plasma and take your budget to $750 for a new one. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966527448
Recommending a 6 lb 300 WM for someone coming from a .22 is a big step!

ID_Matt

WKR
I agree with the comments above, find a way to get a tikka. They can't be beat under $1K in my opinion. As for cartridge, 6.5 PRC is a great long range cartridge but you may be better served with a 6.5 creed. Less recoil and cheaper. Will still kill plenty good out to moderate yardage. If you are dead set on a 6.5 PRC in the future, then you'll need to get something with a magnum bolt face.

bdg848

WKR
For his distances and considering factory ammo, I think it would be hard to go wrong with a 308. Really cheap to shoot/practice and totally adequate for anything he is likely to do with it in the southeast or the west for that matter. Get a 270 win for flatter shots.

Your best bet is to go to multiple gun stores and fondle various rifles, shoulder them and write down the make/model of each one that fits you well.

Whittle that list down to those that come in a chamber that meets your requirements, such as 6.5 Creedmoor, 270 Win, and 7mm-08.

Go from there based upon your requirements.

NOTE: Folks tend to "upgrade" rifles because they feel the need to "upgrade" rather to actually address a true underlying fault that negatively impacts the rifle's shootability and/or accuracy.

OP
JollyRogers
For his distances and considering factory ammo, I think it would be hard to go wrong with a 308. Really cheap to shoot/practice and totally adequate for anything he is likely to do with it in the southeast or the west for that matter. Get a 270 win for flatter shots.
I definitely considered 270,
Your best bet is to go to multiple gun stores and fondle various rifles, shoulder them and write down the make/model of each one that fits you well.

Whittle that list down to those that come in a chamber that meets your requirements, such as 6.5 Creedmoor, 270 Win, and 7mm-08.

Go from there based upon your requirements.

NOTE: Folks tend to "upgrade" rifles because they feel the need to "upgrade" rather to actually address a true underlying fault that negatively impacts the rifle's shootability and/or accuracy.
good advice and definitely plan to head to some of the local stores to get behind some of these options! Finding time with a newborn makes it challenging but I’m in no rush.

I’ll admit I am guilty of upgrading to upgrade because it’s fun and I enjoy tinkering with things. I do fully expect to use whichever rifle I choose in its stock configuration for the first year.

svivian

WKR

You’ve burned out a barrel with 1000 rounds?

sndmn11

WKR

If I had a friend or family member looking for a rifle to stock deer with, I'd tell them to buy the above.

When you get to point of wanting to "upgrade" for Western hunting, you can stick a 6.5-284/6.5cm/6cm/7-08 barrel on and go play.

negative. fortunately, there's good models to predict this type of thing. check out the 6.5 PRC toasting a barrel in 1100 rounds using 66 gr of US869 from hogdgon published load data with the 147 eldm.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
After 40 years of being a serious rifle hunter, I think a guy in your spot would be best served with a 308/30/06 or a 270. I’d not go magnum or specialized to learn any kind of shooting with. Start with something that will work on anything and then work towards specializing your gear.

IMO

hunting1

WKR
After 40 years of being a serious rifle hunter, I think a guy in your spot would be best served with a 308/30/06 or a 270. I’d not go magnum or specialized to learn any kind of shooting with. Start with something that will work on anything and then work towards specializing your gear.

IMO
Best advice on this post. A 308 would be my recommendation so you can shoot a lot and really know the gun.

TheViking

WKR
6.5 PRC target ammo can be had for $25/box. I wouldn't call it a 'specialty' cartridge anymore. Ammo has been popping up like crazy for very reasonable prices (even hunting rounds).

6.5 PRC in Tikka is hard to beat. Go buy 200 rounds of the Norma Golden Target Match and go have fun.

Pick up a few boxes of some hunting rounds (ELD-X, Norma Bondstrike, Nosler Ballistic Tips, etc) and see what shoots best for hunting application.