First Hunt to Take with 5 Year Old?

I live in Central Ky and enjoy traveling west to hunt. That being said, my most recent trips have began and ended with my sons questions on when he can tag along. As I began to think about it, I started to brainstorm what type of additional out of state trips I could take him on that would be a lot more enjoyable for a 5 year old. Whether it be big game, small game, or fishing, just was surfing for ideas what states would provide an adventure that would be enjoyable for a 5 year old that loves the outdoors. Am I being too ambitious, because he certainly would be ok with a week of backcountry squirrel hunting in the mountains of Ky as well. I just enjoy traveling and seeing and experiencing new places so an out of state hunt with him would be much more meaningful! Just was curious if anyone else had dealt with this and what trips yielded the best experiences for the young crowd? Thanks in Advance!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I live in Central Ky and enjoy traveling west to hunt. That being said, my most recent trips have began and ended with my sons questions on when he can tag along. As I began to think about it, I started to brainstorm what type of additional out of state trips I could take him on that would be a lot more enjoyable for a 5 year old. Whether it be big game, small game, or fishing, just was surfing for ideas what states would provide an adventure that would be enjoyable for a 5 year old that loves the outdoors. Am I being too ambitious, because he certainly would be ok with a week of backcountry squirrel hunting in the mountains of Ky as well. I just enjoy traveling and seeing and experiencing new places so an out of state hunt with him would be much more meaningful! Just was curious if anyone else had dealt with this and what trips yielded the best experiences for the young crowd? Thanks in Advance!

Here’s my 1.5 year old. He was on 3 antelope hunts this year.

Attachments

• IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 10

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I've been in the same boat the last several yrs and what I've learned is shorter trips and times is best. They struggle to get up early and being in education I can tell you that their attention span is the same as their age. So a 5 yr old only has 5 min before they gotta be doing something else. 6 yr old = 6 min, etc.

So just be prepared with things for them to do.

At 5 or 6 my kids would come for an afternoon hunt for a few hrs and then be done. Around Thanksgiving we'd do a family squirrel hunt on a family farm, walk around with camo and a squirrel call. We'd sit for a few min, call a little, look around, then walk 10 yds and repeat. Did that for a few hrs. Then go back to the house for milk and cookies. Couple times we got some squirrels, other times we didn't. I'd let em bring their Nerf guns and walk in the woods to be part of the hunt. At the end I'd let em shoot the 10/22.

I've also had em in a ground blind deer hunting with my dad and I for a late afternoon sit. Brought coloring books, snacks, heater and YouTube on silent. Didn't see anything but got some neat pics with 3 generations in a deer pop up.

My daughter and I and my brother did the same thing turkey hunting. Daughter rode the ATV, same thing, coloring books, crayons, push button turkey calls. Sate for a few hours. Watched a hen walk by the decoys.

With kids, don't over complicate it. Your focus shouldn't be on "getting game" but just their more enjoyment and comfort. And TAKE IT SLOW, remember their interests may not be your interests. Plant seeds and slowly build them up and build their interest in it. Cuz I've seen em get jaded with things and they may not appreciate it and just expect success and "easy" 100% of the time. Allow them to struggle a little, but be there to help. Allow them to find deer tracks or grass hoppers or just exploring rocks and hitting sticks against tree trunks. Let em be kids and experience the outdoors with their natural curiosity and if they're loud, don't get angry, just understand it's part of the process and gently correct them.

Hunting with kids is all about them, not you. Just remember that going into it.

I also recommend inviting but don't push. If the don't want to, that's OK. I have a family member who pushed it on his kids and now they want nothing to do with hunting. I invite my kids now to every hunting or shooting thing and sometimes they come, other times they don't. For the past 5 yrs it's been slowly building and now they're to the age that my daughter can now start hunting. We're thinking of going to S. Dakota in the summer and may take a day to shoot Prarie dogs for a day or an afternoon. Got em both little. 22s and BB guns they think cans with. Got em a youth 20ga cuz my daughter wants to try turkey hunting. My son went 5 for 5 with my 22-250 out at 400 yds on a silhouette target. They both shoot 6 inch pie plates at 100 yds.

But that didn't happen over night. It's been 1 or 2 things here and there. Slowly building them and letting em go with me squirrel, deer, waterfowl hunting (all short hunts) making it comfortable with food and other things. And when they get cold or wet or cranky, the hunt is over. And slowly they build interest and eventually have a full blown hunting partner!

Just my $0.02.

Like others mentioned, you don’t need to go far or chase exotic animals to have a good time with kids- a campout in the back yard can be an adventure.

My kids have been hunting with me since they were 2- they are 12 and 14 now and can hunt themselves but when they were little we went on a boys weekend every year, it took me 5-6 years of those hunts before I was even able to kill a doe with them because they were loud, impatient, got cold, etc.

A couple memorable trips- my oldest was about 3 and we were deer hunting, we walked up a hill and literally could still see the truck less than 200 yards away, he thought it was time for a snack break, had a snack, sat for a bit and headed back to the truck.

Another time hunting with both kids, youngest wasn’t feeling good, we’re sitting on a log and out of nowhere he pukes all over himself and his stuffed animal. As were walking back to the truck I’m mad, but my oldest was about 5-6 at the time says “even though he got sick this was a really fun trip”

Just get them out and let them have fun, it doesn’t matter if you get anything. Take lots of snacks and warm clothes.

You just have to be patient and realize they might screw your hunt up. Both my boys have spooked shooter bucks at one point. I now try to take them in squirrel hunts or after I've already taken a buck. I really don't feel like whitetail is good for starting out young, but my Dad started taking me when I was 4. When asking him now how he did it, he just says it depends on the kid.

Dove hunting is a great one cause they don't have to be quiet, they can go get the birds which is a plus.

You know your kid better than anyone else. Do something fun where they can move and doesn’t have to be quiet and it’s not too cold or too much walking. Also I would want a back up plan if plan A didn’t work.

I have been taking my son deer hunting in the mountains since he was 4 and he is 6 now. He would walk farther and sit longer when he was 4 than now. About 1 hour is all he can sit and he doesn’t like to walk more than a few hundred yards (but it’s usually pretty steep) but he is not super excited about hunting yet. He loves to fish. If I was going on a trip with him it would be fishing with hunting as a back up plan

willtim

WKR
Two person whitetail stand. Take plenty of "entertainment" with you. Plenty of snacks. When he says he's bored, tired, cold, etc then leave. You want him to have fun.