First elk

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
Wow, that’s just outstanding! Way to go! I’m headed out next weekend to scout in WY for cow elk and I’ll have my bow. First time hunting elk and I’m really excited. Figure it’s better to bow hunt than scout with a dumb look on my face! Then headed back in Oct for the rifle season.
Thanks so much. Good luck out there! Hope you get some meat.

Good for you! That's awesome that you got a bull archery hunting and especially having never done it before. Having help cutting one up makes a huge difference. It's a major chore to do by yourself.

I remember standing over my first. I was kind of dumbfounded that I actually had a bull elk on the ground... and it seemed enormous. My knife wasn't sharp enough and like you mentioned the yellow jackets and flies were thick. The learning curve is definitely steep.

Congratulations on your successful harvest!! You are one up on those of us that didn’t draw a tag!!

BTLowry

FNG
Congrats on filling your tag

Don't beat yourself up too bad about the shot. You recovered him and I know people with lot's of time and filled tags who still make bad shots from time to time.
Learn from it and move forward ;)b