First Elk with my Traditional Bow

spdrman

WKR
2 weeks after taking my first antelope with a recurve I was able to take a nice Bull opening day. I hunt solo so figured my best tactics would be sitting water, I hung a lot of trail cameras this summer and found a really productive water hole. Opening day I sat for 8 hours with nothing going on other than seeing a sow with 2 cubs walk thru the meadow. About the last 30 min of light a bull bugles behind me then a bull responds and then another and another. I let out a bugle and got them all fired up, this bull came into my calls and when he couldn't find me decided to get a drink and offered me an 8 yard shot. I got excited and should of waited for him to turn, the shot wasnt the greatest but I did get one lung. The arrow didnt pass thru so there was no blood trail. I let him sit over night and was able to locate him the next day after a long hard track job. He died in the shade so I was fortunate to recover all the meat with the high temps early archery season has. Lessons learned and I knew better ... needless to say I'm hooked and my compound is now for sale. I was able to capture it all on film too here's the link ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flIPDnaYOOE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Attachments

• IMG_20130901_134758.jpg
    IMG_20130901_134758.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 230

SDHNTR

WKR
That's awesome! Nothing better. I passed a small bull with my compound this year and was kicking myself for not toting the curve. Killing any critter with a trad bow is awesome, but a big bull like yours is the ultimate! Congrats.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Thanks guys! I've killed several bulls better than that one but nothing compares to this one, seeing your arrow leave the shelf and hit the mark ... my compound shoots so fast its hard to see the arrow in flight

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Thank you! Had a lot of fun putting my antelope video together, I wasnt planning on tagging out opening day of elk so I was trying to conserve battery life. My bow is a 50# Hoyt Buffalo I draw about 52 pounds with my 28.5 inch draw

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Thanks guys, Mudd foot I was using Black Eagle Deep impacts 350 spine with 175 grain VPA Penetrator 2 blade broadheads plus 32 grain outserts, finished arrow weight was 520 with 18% Foc

Mudd Foot

WKR
Thanks for the info spdrman. Was looking at the VPA's myself. They seem like a very solid, thick broadhead. Am probably going to try the 250 gr next spring.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
They are awesome heads! Shot my antelope with one and it was stuck I'm the dirt was able to put back on a shaving sharp edge with very little effort, haven't shot one into anything that has bent them yet or haven't been able to put an edge back on them. Wanted a heavier arrow so I just picked up some new Traditional axis, they weigh right at 580 grains, excited to see how they do on game