First elk hunt gear list and questions

bud

FNG
Agree with 5milesback 100%. If your not careful that time of year you will turn your hunt into a miserable situation without heat. It all sounds good in June sitting on the porch.

Rizzy

WKR
That xlite doesn't have enough R value to be useful much under the mid 20's no matter what bag you use. Get something with 5 or better.
The sawyer will likely freeze, consider using tablets that time of year.
You may not need the spotter either, but bring it and let the hunt dictate that.
Stove or heater for sure, a gas heater would be easier. I don't imagine you will need to backpack in to higher elevations that time of year, so day hunting from a car camp may be more productive. Especially when you factor in the added comfort and this is your first elk hunt.

Wouldn't there be a lot of elk in the mid to lower elevations by then?

I have never in 35 years needed rain gear that late in the season. It's too cold then, if there's precip it will be snow.

Personally I wouldn't back pack in that late without a heat source.......would be miserable without one. I'd also rethink the 19 degree bag. I use a 0 degree quilt in Aug/Sept. November I'm up to my -30 bag.

I guess I should've stated that I am not from Colorado. In my area it is normal to have a lot of freezing rain/ really wet snow that time of year. Based on my experience I certainly wouldn't go without rain gear if I was going for multiple days, but I am sure every area is different.

Ono

FNG
Not sure what zone you are headed to, back country in Nov sounds cold. Seems like some good advice already, I was in a tent with a stove during 3rd last season and I was pretty cold in my 0 degree bag once the snow started at 11k. Might throw in an extra pair of gloves and a contractor trash bag to keep your gear dry. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Good luck.

A lighter/ferro rod/striker and a fire starter (cottonball and petroleum jelly/esbit cubes or something similar). Keep in in your pants or bino harness just in case you need to get a fire started in a pinch and you don't have your pack close by.

fatlander

WKR
I’d pay attention to your water storage/delivery that time of year. Frozen hoses and nozzles would be expected that late in the year.

Agree with everyone that said go warmer on bag/pad. I wouldn’t count on your all of your layers keeping you warm that late in the year. Decent chance they’re probably wet from you hiking around.

2 sets of base layers is excessive. Soft shell jacket is a-lot of weight and bulk for a windproof layer that isn't waterproof. Your chosen insulation set might not have enough juice for late in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t mind me asking, how much money do you think you have invested in your first elk hunt?