First DIY Backpack Hunt

cured_ham

WKR
I am in the process of planning a DIY hunt for September in Colorado for Elk. What pack would you recommend? Price is a concern but I do not want a bad pack. I would rather buy once. It will be a 5-7 day hunt, hoping to be able to pack out and setup a base camp and hunt around there so it would be nice if I could double the pack as a day pack. Thanks!

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
my first pack was an EXO 5500 that worked well. My current pack is a Kifaru 44 mag. I also have the Stryker and have debated taking that with a big dry bag.

Buy top quality used. I would focus on kifaru and exo. Look for something along the lines of a kifaru reckoning with a duplex frame or Exo 5500 on the K2 or K3 frame. They both come up used regularly. You'll be getting high end packs and save a bit of money. Gear guys like gear and upgrade often.....

Rob5589

WKR
Exo, used 3500/5500 or new 4800. Thought I saw a couple in the for sale section.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Thanks for all of the replies. Right now my first choice (an uneducated choice) it the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Would this be a good pack for my needs? Looks like I could use the frame to haul extra camp gear out then hunt with the smaller pack or lid?

The metcalf is a good pack. I had one but now run exo. The exo is much more comfortable and meets my needs better. You can get a used exo for the price of a new metcalf. The 5200 would be more than you’d need but the 3500 may not be enough depending on your gear

Also, if you buy used and don’t like it you can get most if not all your money back less shipping on a resell

Trunscav

FNG
I bought the mystery ranch beartooth last fall for a Colorado mule deer hunt. Worked well as a day pack and also would be great for a 5-7 day backcountry hunt I’m sure.

Trunscav

FNG
Don’t think u could go wrong with any of those options. I was in same boat when it came between Metcalf and beartooth on deciding. Ultimately you are getting extra capacity and have the day lid to use or take off depending on how much gear you need with the beartooth. For an extra 50 bucks I felt like it was worth it for me.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
What is the daypack volume? Wondering if the volume on the website is including the daypack

Trunscav

FNG
Specs on Gohunt say 5187. I’m thinking that’s likely the bag only but not positive. If that’s the case the day lid will prob give you another 300 or 400 in

Thanks for all of the replies. Right now my first choice (an uneducated choice) it the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Would this be a good pack for my needs? Looks like I could use the frame to haul extra camp gear out then hunt with the smaller pack or lid?

If you like the size and utility of the Metcalf I would recommend you look at their Terraframe 60 & 80. One is slightly smaller and the other slightly larger with better organization. The Metcalf is basically a bag with no pockets and a side zip for access. The Terrraframe packs have the same functionality because they utilize the same frames this year. They are also less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your not a guy that has to have your patterns match look at an ilbe pack lid. I picked one up after reading Zaps post on it. Large volume, surplus so cheap, molle webbing on outside, a set of compression straps on the back side and if you go MR the buckles on it will clip right on. Also I’m pretty sure it’s larger than the MR pack lid.

I went MR Metcalf for a big pack, and run a day pack I had Pods build, I haven’t really put it to the test yet just day hunts and heavy pack hikes but, I’ve put some pretty good weight into it and done some fairly rough terrain and I’m happy with it.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I had seen the terraframes but had not looked too much into them. I will give them a second look.

I had not even heard of a pack lid but will be checking into it. Thanks!

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
If you like the size and utility of the Metcalf I would recommend you look at their Terraframe 60 & 80. One is slightly smaller and the other slightly larger with better organization. The Metcalf is basically a bag with no pockets and a side zip for access. The Terrraframe packs have the same functionality because they utilize the same frames this year. They are also less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. This looks like it may be what I need. I found a couple Terraframe80 on sale at backcountry and REI. How do I make sure it is the model that has the GL frame?