First buck

Alphaman77

Lil-Rokslider
This is my daughters first buck. She had a early plains rifle tag and has been looking forward to hunting all summer and fall. We caught this guy going into a draw and followed him hoping to catch him coming out in the flat on the other side. After crossing a few draws and getting set up to glass we spotted him checking on a few does about 300 yards. Not wanting I have her shoot that far we snuck along a cliff to about 175 and started getting set up when a road hunter pulls up on the 2 track road about 200 yards north of the deer. Much to my surprise he gets out and starts glassine the deer and us with his gun, classy move. After throwing a small fit she told me, calm down dad it's ok we will find another one, thank god she kept her head. Luck was on our side because he couldn't see the buck and got back in and slammed his door which spooked the deer our way but they were going to be on the top of the cliff and we were at the bottom, so a 200 yard sprint up a steep draw and through some nasty yucca and sage brush we got to the top only to have a gun pointed at us again. I got her set up and the deer came into veiw at about 100 yards but moving across in front of us. I told her to keep an eye on him and I would try to get him to stop. He stopped before I got a cance but I couldn't see him. I told her if she could find him and had a shot to take it. After about 30 seconds she said she had him on the scope. I tried to tell her to shoot when she could but I think she was tired of dad over coaching her, and he was down before I got that out. I shot at 75 yards and he was down, she made a perfect shot and I could not be more proud of her. I worried that not having any friends in school that hunt would make her loose intrest, but that girl has followed me through more stuff than any of the guys I hunt with. She is my best hunting partner and even though she is small for her age I have yet to find a task that she won't hit head on and try harder if she can't get it the first time. This hunt means more to me than I can ever convey to her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 138

rhendrix

WKR
Sweet buck, I think I'd be over the moon if either one of my kids are successful like that! Congrats, Dad!

bigmoose

WKR
Good job on a great buck! Love to see the younger generation getting more involved. Congrats on her first buck!

Moose