First Backpack Trip

Ggarrett

FNG
I’m planning on going on my first backpack hunt this fall. There’s still a handful of items I am still in need of. So I am seeking some advice as these are pretty important items.

Which Garmin Inreach model do y’all recommend and why?

Water purification, what are y’all’s go to systems? I already have a lifestraw so that will probably go with me as a backup. I am leaning towards a Steripen (not sure which model) as that seems to be efficient and effective but am open to suggestions. I also have water purification tablets I will take with me.

What compasses do y’all use?

First aid, what do yall take with yall? I have a general idea of what I would take but don’t want to miss something.

Lastly, what do y’all use as a fire starter?

DustyCogs

FNG
Never used a compass backpacking or camping, I would imagine most orienteering compasses would be fine, though with GPS not really a need anymore.

Generally just use a lighter and whatever fuel I can find, but when it's real wet fire paste sure does accelerate the process

TaperPin

WKR
I’m planning on going on my first backpack hunt this fall. There’s still a handful of items I am still in need of. So I am seeking some advice as these are pretty important items.

Never wanted one - takes some of the wild out of wilderness.

Water purification, what are y’all’s go to systems? I already have a lifestraw so that will probably go with me as a backup. I am leaning towards a Steripen (not sure which model) as that seems to be efficient and effective but am open to suggestions. I also have water purification tablets I will take with me.

A MSR pump screws onto a Nalgene bottle and to me seems the easiest way to make as much water as needed with no weird taste. I have purification tablets as backup, but have never used them other than at home. I have left the filter at home and relied on boiling water, but the hassle and time make the MSR filter a no brainer. Other filters are out there, but the three MSR filters I’ve used since the 1990’s have never failed, so that makes me a loyal user. It’s like a Whisperlight MSR stove - it always works well and has never failed so a few extra ounces are worth it.

The main reason for a mirrored compass is getting accurate readings off of landmarks and transferring it to your map. Try this with and without the mirror for yourself, and it becomes readily apparent this is a must have feature.

When I was around helicopters during the summer, a small signaling mirror could be seen for more than 5 miles from the air. So the compass does double duty as a signaling device. Silva Mini is the smallest I’d recommend, but the Silva Ranger is a long time best seller and the larger mirror makes a better signaling device. Geologists love a Brunton professional model, and I always poo pooed them for the weight and cost, but when I bought one for a geology student in the family I was very impressed with how well it was built and how accurate it could be.
DC5B78FC-0039-405E-94F4-9893EA8EA5A6.jpeg
First aid, what do yall take with yall? I have a general idea of what I would take but don’t want to miss something.
I got the worst chest and nasal crud one year on the Greys River and I have only been that miserable 4 times in my life. Several formula cold and flu pills were the only thing that dried up my sore throat and kept me feeling human. I’ll never backpack without some.

Black electrical tape is the ideal way to hold bandaids on, and can be used for more serious issues. Duct tape seems redundant, but when the schitt hits the fan, some gorilla (gaffers) tape is more better.

This will sound ridiculous, but I’ve been trapped in a tent for an entire day a couple of times because of weather - because of that I’ve added Medicine for Mountaineering if weather might be bad - it’s a horrible waste of weight, but if you get bored or want to learn something it’s packed with information.
Old school kitchen matches in a waterproof bottle, a lighter, and a box of the little strike on box matches in a ziplock. Homemade fire starters made with chunks of paraffin soaked paper towels or toilet paper have been used by generations of hunters and mountaineers in Wyoming. I like to soak a 1/4 roll of toilet paper in melted wax until it’s saturated, then press between aluminum foil and a heavy book. Use a saw or cleaver to cut into 1” cubes and peal off what you need. Easy fire just needs a few layers, and you might burn a larger piece by itself as a large candle to warm your hands.

I have the InReach Mini. One charge will last for several days if I turn it off at night and don’t send too many messages.

I still use an old school Katadyn pump style filter and carry some purification tablets as backup. Giardia sucks big time.

Silva Ranger.

Tourniquet, ibuprofen, Benadryl.

Carry two different sources of ignition, one being a flint and steel. For commercial types, Pyro Putty is really good. You can make your own too. Carry a bellow tube, aka a crack pipe to help get your fire going.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think taking a satellite device is a responsible thing, especially if you have family that depend on you. I know a few guys that it affects their ego-I just laugh at them.

I have several Garmin's and now use a zoleo. The link up times are a fraction of garmins (90 seconds on average vs 3-5 mins) and they work better with cloud cover/dense foliage. Prob a wash with the cost and subscription.

Tons of threads and great info on here to cover your other questions. Enjoy your first trip.

I think taking a satellite device is a responsible thing, especially if you have family that depend on you. I know a few guys that it affects their ego-I just laugh at them.
I bought it so my wife was able to reach me in emergent situations and also not worry when I’m hunting alone way off the beaten path.

There was one particular instance involving a major family emergency where I couldn’t even begin to put a price tag on the intrinsic value of $200 piece of gear.

Last edited:

Jimmy

WKR
Katyden pump filter for me, and tablets since they weigh so little. Had to pump drinking water out of cattle hoofprints one time. Kinda ruins the filter inside but I didn't get sick.

If you'll have a smartphone with you at all times, you can save some money by choosing a Mini and using it paired to your phone. A Mini isn't completely useless as a standalone device, but its utility is severely limited without a phone. Mini Gen 1 vs Gen 2 differences are minimal. Gen 2 is supposed to have longer battery life. I prefer full functionality without dependency on a phone, so I carry an Explorer+. I still use my phone as the interface most of the time, but I like having the option of using the Explorer+ as a standalone device while retaining (nearly) full functionality.

It has been a while since I dusted off this handy chart, so here's some unsolicited bonus info that new inReach owners are often curious about:
Screenshot_20200729-163539-2.png

I take a belt-and-suspenders approach and filter first then add liquid chlorine dioxide (Aquamira). The filter catches sediment and most of the microorganisms that could make you sick. Chlorine dioxide kills the stuff that might be small enough to pass through the filter (namely viruses). If I'm trying to keep my pack as light as possible, I use an MSR Trailshot filter. When weight is less of a concern, I take a Katadyn Hiker pump filter.

Check the instructions on your purification tablets...some have a pretty long recommended wait time. Aquamira droplets work within 20 minutes. Also, iodine tablets impart an off-putting flavor.

A cheap one similar to this:Screenshot_20240604_131928.jpg

I carry a tourniquet and a small assortment of bandaging material in my pack. I leave a more complete kit in the truck.

I generally don't have a fire when backcountry camping, but I carry a mini Bic lighter, a tiny flint/steel, and a couple Wetfire cubes just in case.

Last edited:

taskswap

WKR

These are highly subjective but I'll share.

Garmin: I like the InReach Mini because I want the lightest option with the longest battery life. I always have my phone with me for my GPS apps (Locus Pro and Caltopo) so I pair it and don't care about its small screen.

I own probably every sterilization option out there, from tablets to the Steripen, Lifestraw, Sawyer, Katadyn, etc. I think they each have their place as well as pros and cons. I keep the Steripen in my truck for "emergency situations" but don't use it as much because if the water is at all less than perfect to begin with, it does nothing for taste. The Lifestraw is the lightest filter, but you have to be on your hands and knees in a stream to use it - hardly convenient. Typically when backpacking I carry a pair of tablets (they weigh nothing, why not) and a 1L Katadyn Befree. I carry two extra gallon-size ziplocs for various purposes, one of which is if I do need more than a liter of water at a time and the water source turns out to be far from camp, I can use them for backup storage. I have two gravity-filter systems that are fantastic in groups, but since I'm a loner I find I hardly use them. :)

I don't carry a standard compass. I hunt and hike in Colorado where, despite having some wilderness areas, it's actually hard to be more than 10 miles from a road or dwelling in some direction. I study the maps carefully before I go in case I have an emergency, and always have my GPS going as well on my phone. (I track my hikes so I can note items of interest, like water, wallows, scrape, etc.) For emergencies I have one of those little button compasses you can get from Amazon for a few bucks but I haven't taken it out in a decade.

First aid is too long to list. There are plenty of great threads here talking about this though. I do carry a few things others don't. I have two vicodin tablets left over from some dental surgery - I don't trust pharmaceuticals much so I didn't take the full course I was prescribed. I've never used them but I tell myself if I ever break an ankle or something and have to self-extract, they might help. I carry one large sugar pill because I occasionally go out with a diabetic. And an extra pair of socks which I count as first aid because if your feet get wet and you get blisters 10 miles back you're in for a rough time, broken bone or no.

For fire I don't carry much. Colorado is under Red Flag warnings about 80% of the time I'm out in the field so I rarely make a fire for comfort. I'm one of those "drown it out" folks, and just don't want the hassle of waiting until coals are truly dead (or wasting water on them) to go to bed - burying (or failing to put out) coals leading to fires in root systems is a common ignition risk here. I cook with one of those mini butane stoves and it works great. (Not the MSR Pocket Rocket 2, but a generic one that looks just like it.) I carry two Bic lighters (the easiest way to start fire is... with fire... <grin>). I also carry a Spark Lite "SL3-HO" sparker and two tinder tabs. Together they weigh less than a ferro rod, can be used (as a sparker) to start the stove in an emergency, and to start fires as well.

clarkbnd

FNG
I use garmin inreach mini... its slow sometimes depending on location but I'm satisfied.

I like katadyn for water filter. I've used a lot and this works best for me.

I just carry a couple lighters w me for fire.

First aid kit is tenacious tape, benadryl, Tylenol, and that's about it.

I use phone and inreach for GPS. The areas I've been these have been more than sufficient.

My advise... don't carry anything you don't need. Less is more. You will need more determination and persistence than anything. I come from east coast and still learning this. Good luck and have fun and make memories.

Marble

WKR

Inreach mini

I have a steripen. But my go to method is an MSR bag/filter. Having atheist one pump in camp would be good. Depends if you know the water situation.

No compass. i use my phone if needed.

I use regular lighters. I usually have 2-3 with me

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

J31Bodie

FNG
For a sat tracker, I use a Zoleo. Cheaper than an InReach, and will work better (and easier), but requires a smartphone. Water filter? Lifestraw would work, but depending on how contaminated the water you're better off with a Sawyer Squeeze or Sawyer Mini. Compass, the Suunto MC-2 is a good one; any Suunto or Silva is fine as long as you know how to use it. For starting fires, a lighter is great, so is a ferro rod -- more important is some tinder. FastFire is probably the best, or cotton balls dipped in wax, or jute cord all frayed up with your knife. For first aid, make sure you have a tourniquet and know how to use it, as well as something to bandage with and some tape. A small booboo kit with things for cuts and scrapes helps too. Have fun!

Ninjaman

FNG
No GPS, I am a map and compass guy.

For water purification I use a MSR trail base. It is 2 in 1 so I can use gravity when I set up camp and pump when on the go.

My compass is the first two Silva I happen to find when packing. Always Silva, usually a ranger and mini.

First aid, I use a fairly small but comprehensive kit as I have medical background. Most important imho is a blood stopper bandage, surgical tape, a pair of tweezers and some painkillers.

At least 2 or 3 quality lighters light BIC or Cricket.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have several Garmin's and now use a zoleo. The link up times are a fraction of garmins (90 seconds on average vs 3-5 mins) and they work better with cloud cover/dense foliage. Prob a wash with the cost and subscription.

Tons of threads and great info on here to cover your other questions. Enjoy your first trip.
I’ll second the Zoleo for the same reasons.
@Ggarrett I’m moving this to the gear sub forum since it’s a broad topic.

Ninjaman

FNG
I agree that bringing a GPS is a responsible thing. I wasn't trying to be macho, but the opposite. Where I go map and compass is the most reliable choice if you have the training and experience. I used to pack a GPS but never used it since it was slow, but I guess those new gen GPS work great.