First Antelope - NM

IA1865

FNG
This August was my first ever out of state hunt and first antelope. Hunted in New Mexico near the San Mateo mountains with Big Rim outfitters, who were fantastic guides and fun to be with. Hunt started off pretty iffy with a ton of rain and we actually weren't able to leave camp the first day due to flooding. Day 2 we saw a lot of elk and a few pronghorn, and I was blown away by how beautiful the country was. Ended up finding this lone buck on the 3rd day in a group of does on a ridgeline about a mile off, hiked down the next gully over until we thought were about level with him, coming up the side of our ridge put us directly across from him at 400 yards. Was able to get into a solid position on the top of our ridge on the bipod and make the shot, which was DRT. In addition to my first out of state hunt, was also my longest shot on a game animal to date but I felt very confident in my load and had spent a lot of time at the range out to 800 this year. Luckily my guide recorded the whole thing on the phoneskope too!

Overall was an absolute blast and would highly recommend for any other first time pronghorn hunters!

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 162
This August was my first ever out of state hunt and first antelope. Hunted in New Mexico near the San Mateo mountains with Big Rim outfitters, who were fantastic guides and fun to be with. Hunt started off pretty iffy with a ton of rain and we actually weren't able to leave camp the first day due to flooding. Day 2 we saw a lot of elk and a few pronghorn, and I was blown away by how beautiful the country was. Ended up finding this lone buck on the 3rd day in a group of does on a ridgeline about a mile off, hiked down the next gully over until we thought were about level with him, coming up the side of our ridge put us directly across from him at 400 yards. Was able to get into a solid position on the top of our ridge on the bipod and make the shot, which was DRT. In addition to my first out of state hunt, was also my longest shot on a game animal to date but I felt very confident in my load and had spent a lot of time at the range out to 800 this year. Luckily my guide recorded the whole thing on the phoneskope too!

Overall was an absolute blast and would highly recommend for any other first time pronghorn hunters!
Beautiful scenery and a great buck! Congrats