First Aid

Yukondog

WKR
I know I over pack, it's the old ambulance guy in me.

My current kit weights 10oz. I have wraps, bandaids, triple antibiotic cream, Hydrocortisone, alcohol wipes, 4x4's, superglue, tape, moleskin, multiple smaller dressings, gauze etc.

And then comes the pill bag. Tylenol, Tylenol PM (a must), Ibuprofen, Imodium (game changer), Pain meds and tums.

I'm overkill for sure. There are a couple things for me that are a must. Tylenol PM and Imodium. Partner saved me from complete monkey butt couple years ago. Never again will I be without it in the woods.

What are your tricks and must haves? I know I should be able to reduce the weight by half to 5oz.

Matt

Naproxen Sodium when Ibuprofen (grunt M&Ms) won't cut it.

Tweezers.

Benedryl in case you run into a bees nest.

Sewing kit for clothes or deep cuts.

dotman

WKR
I know I over pack, it's the old ambulance guy in me.

My current kit weights 10oz. I have wraps, bandaids, triple antibiotic cream, Hydrocortisone, alcohol wipes, 4x4's, superglue, tape, moleskin, multiple smaller dressings, gauze etc.

And then comes the pill bag. Tylenol, Tylenol PM (a must), Ibuprofen, Imodium (game changer), Pain meds and tums.

I'm overkill for sure. There are a couple things for me that are a must. Tylenol PM and Imodium. Partner saved me from complete monkey butt couple years ago. Never again will I be without it in the woods.

What are your tricks and must haves? I know I should be able to reduce the weight by half to 5oz.

Matt

I would drop the bandaids, do you really think they will stay in place?
I have reduced to super glue, duct tape and gauze. Always have ibprophen.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Being as my wife is a nurse she has me carry a bunch of stuff in it. Our kit weighs 10 oz as well. Though I will say some of it came in handy when she broke her leg on a mountain goat hunt. Probably could pair it down a couple oz when she's not looking. :D

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Superglue, duct tape, albuteral inhaler, and vicoden (already have para cord so I don't count that)... If that won't take care of it i'm SOL anyway..

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being as my wife is a nurse she has me carry a bunch of stuff in it. Our kit weighs 10 oz as well. Though I will say some of it came in handy when she broke her leg on a mountain goat hunt. Probably could pair it down a couple oz when she's not looking. :D

Pare it down huh? Go for it...but I wonder where you will be getting Advil and band aids? :)
There actually isn't too much "excess" stuff in there anymore, a few misc bandages/tape/gauze, etc., as well as some Vicodin, a few Benadryl, and some Tylenol and ibuprofen. Those real pain pills and that ace wrap we carry did come in awfully handy when I got hurt...I wouldn't leave home without them.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I have to carry a first-aid kit when guiding hunters. So it is just easier to leave it in my daypack all the time. It is a two man kit by Adventure Medical or something like that.

I carry gauze, surgical glue, quick clot gauze, duct tape, vionexx wipes, neosporin wipes, and 2 pair of rubber gloves. I also carry aspirin, and ibuprofen.