Firearm Safety Certificate?

hiker270

WKR
Amazing I still have my card from 1963. I have been checked twice by wardens in Colorado but have not been ask for my card. I personally thing they could update the year from 1949.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Michigan resident here... What's a firearm safety certificate? Same as hunter's safety or something different? I've taken hunter's safety way back when I was 12 years old, and bowhunter's safety more recently in prep for out of state hunts (not required in MI), but never heard of a firearm safety certificate.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Funny all the gotch ya laws between states. NJ Firearms/archery completion card not need, but the trappers completion course is needed to be on you at all times if you have an active trapping license

hiker270

WKR
Michigan resident here... What's a firearm safety certificate? Same as hunter's safety or something different? I've taken hunter's safety way back when I was 12 years old, and bowhunter's safety more recently in prep for out of state hunts (not required in MI), but never heard of a firearm safety certificate.
Hunters Safety Card

taskswap

WKR
Say what you want; I'm glad CO has safety education as a requirement. I don't think it makes me a "libtard" wanting to not get shot by some knucklehead who watched a few Youtube videos and wants to try hunting.

They implemented this program in 1970 and IMO the results were worth it (they made it mandatory in 1970):

1680176110363.png

Complaining about requirements like this is like complaining about hockey helmets, speed limits, or seat belts. It's fun to bitch about them and lots of people who don't understand statistics love to claim "they" don't need it because "they" are a responsible driver or they were raised to handle firearms responsibly. But you can't make a rule just for Timmy the Bad Driver. The rules don't work if they don't apply to everyone.

It's not that hard. It's not that expensive. There's a blue-sky rule that honors the programs from other states, options to "test out" and yes a grandfather clause. Unpopular opinion maybe, but I hunt from a base camp that 50 other strangers use every year. I like my odds way better this way.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
Some states will let military service (combat arms, infantry etc) count towards firearms safety. Worth a check.

Travis907

WKR
You can also replace your hunter or boater education card by looking it up online. Go to the following website

ilostmycard.com

3 Easy steps
We use this in Indiana but every state uses this website

Step 1 verify state completed and choose course
Step 2 verify details
Step 3 order replacement card

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Say what you want; I'm glad CO has safety education as a requirement. I don't think it makes me a "libtard" wanting to not get shot by some knucklehead who watched a few Youtube videos and wants to try hunting.

They implemented this program in 1970 and IMO the results were worth it (they made it mandatory in 1970):

View attachment 536786

Complaining about requirements like this is like complaining about hockey helmets, speed limits, or seat belts. It's fun to bitch about them and lots of people who don't understand statistics love to claim "they" don't need it because "they" are a responsible driver or they were raised to handle firearms responsibly. But you can't make a rule just for Timmy the Bad Driver. The rules don't work if they don't apply to everyone.

It's not that hard. It's not that expensive. There's a blue-sky rule that honors the programs from other states, options to "test out" and yes a grandfather clause. Unpopular opinion maybe, but I hunt from a base camp that 50 other strangers use every year. I like my odds way better this way.
Or how about you have to enter the number as a requirement to buy your license and then never have to worry about carrying a possibly decades old paper card.

Here in PA your hunter safety card is a requirement to get you set up in the system to buy your first hunting license. After that you never have to show it again as your license is proof that you took the course since you can’t get the license without it. Way more simple and I think it’s dumb that you also have to carry a flimsy paper card that costs $20 to replace.

Cheesy

FNG
I still have the original card in my wallet from 1991. Laminated it 20 years later. About worn through. My Kansas Lifetime License shows the hunter safety information (from Kansas as well) on it. So, I think I'm dually covered.

87TT

WKR
Just Colorado trying to out California California. At least there you just have to have one to get your first license, and then it's in their system. Having to have it and show it every time stopped is stupid.

taskswap

WKR
Or how about you have to enter the number as a requirement to buy your license and then never have to worry about carrying a possibly decades old paper card.

Here in PA your hunter safety card is a requirement to get you set up in the system to buy your first hunting license. After that you never have to show it again as your license is proof that you took the course since you can’t get the license without it. Way more simple and I think it’s dumb that you also have to carry a flimsy paper card that costs $20 to replace.
Well that's a fair point. I mean, they do have a process where you can have that (not have to carry the card). You can bring it to a field office and they can verify it and add a note to your file so you don't have to carry it any more (that becomes permanent). Of course, the process is so annoying I haven't bothered - I'd probably need to waste a vacation day to make it happen. That's the real inefficiency here.

pcrossett

FNG
Had to get mine reprinted when I applied for CO a couple years ago. You also need to carry it with you in CO if you haven't stopped by the CPW office to have it verified.

You can also email them now with your CID number and either an image (front/back) of your Hunters Ed verification card or just the state and identifying number. Most recently my buddy was using the email address [email protected] to get his verified. Would strongly suggest doing this for anyone in hunting in Colorado (getting it verified) as it is just one less thing you have to potentially worry about.

taskswap

WKR
You can also email them now with your CID number and either an image (front/back) of your Hunters Ed verification card or just the state and identifying number. Most recently my buddy was using the email address [email protected] to get his verified. Would strongly suggest doing this for anyone in hunting in Colorado (getting it verified) as it is just one less thing you have to potentially worry about.
That would be amazing. I'm trying it now and will report back if the same process works for me!

-- Edit: Yes, that email address worked. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
cornfedkiller
CPW says a high quality scan of your card will suffice, so I assume a photo on your phone will as well.

My card has a few numbers that aren't real legible, so I went on the MN DNR site and for $3.50, it let me download a duplicate and save it to my computer. Now before I head to Colorado or Wyoming, I can just print it off quick and have it in my pack with my hunting license.