Firearm Safety Certificate?

Does everyone here have a Firearm Safety Certificate? I was just doing my CO application, and in order to buy a small game license, I had to enter my firearm safety number, which isnt a huge deal, but then also saw that "all hunters must carry their hunter education card on their person while in the field hunting..."

I got the little paper card when I was 12, and then they would add it to your endorsements on your drivers license (Minnesota), so I've never really worried about the card since. Here in Iowa, they don't list it on your endorsements, and my buddy in MN said his new license no longer has it listed either.

Do you guys have one and carry it on you while hunting? Have you ever been asked to show it if checked? I've been checked a couple times when out hunting and never once asked to show it.

Seth

WKR
CPW will ask for it if you are checked and it is not verified in their system. A buddy hunted with us a couple of years ago, got checked, did not have it on him, and lost a full day getting it sorted out at the regional office in Durango.

prm

WKR
I got mine many, many moons ago. When i went back to apply in CO I had to call the office and have a new card sent. It actually went through pretty quickly. It does state on the back of the card that "it must be carried on your person while hunting or taking wildlife."

I now keep all my important licenses, documents and cards in a single blaze orange wallet. :cool:

Lytro

WKR
My beat up old card never leaves my wallet. I've only had my license checked once in Colorado, but the officer did ask for my hunter safety card to verify.

Scotto

WKR
As stated. Stop in to a CPW office and have it verified and not worry about carrying the card.

Jethro

WKR
I carry my card with me on all out of state hunts whether required to carry it or not. Also an expired drivers license to act as ID. I don't carry my wallet with me while hunting.

I lost my paper card I got in the early ‘90s in the state of Washington. Called and asked for a new card and they charged me like $20 and misspelled my name. But as it turns out you are required to carry the card in Wyoming and when I have been checked they have no issue with the misspelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
MN here. Should just be able to call and get a reprint sent to you. Had to do this for the Advance Bowhunter Education card for some metro/park hunts a while back. As far as on the MN drivers license I just had mine renewed in November and it shows my firearm endorsement.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, I carry mine. I have two, one from Montana when I was 12 and from Indiana when my daughter went through and I went with her.

I've been checked in Colorado and Wyoming.

Montana lets you re-print online. There are also online courses that will get you a card.

Jeremy

Backyard

WKR
I have an Advanced Hunter Education Program card for taking a bowhunter safety course. It suffices. So I keep it on me out there.

OP
cornfedkiller
I found my card in a file… do I have to have the actual card on me when hunting in CO or WY, or can I have a picture of it on my phone?

Also, I assume that only applies if I’m hunting with a gun, correct? Archery has no such requirement?

Oklahoma requires you to carry your Hunter Safety card.

I've been checked twice by state game wardens, and once by federal without it. Never even asked about it.

No clue where the tattered card is.

pirogue

WKR
I completely agree. But then again there are a lot of newly inspired older hunters and more and more hunters packed into smaller and smaller public land, which definitely creates opportunities for firearm accidents.

That being said, I am not from and do not hunt in Colorado. I was simply stating that Wyoming does not require proof of hunters education for archery hunting.
Agreed. No state should for bowhunting.

Backyard

WKR
Agreed. No state should for bowhunting.

Sure about that? Even with all these never bowhunted before no nothings heading to the fields with their brand new high powered crossbows that they know nothing about except how to load and fire.