Finished Up A New Selfbow

UncleBone

WKR
When I was a kid I was always trying to make my own bow and arrow. I never was successful. Now as an adult, I don't have any confidence I could pull it off. Good work man!

OP
Ddog

Ddog

WKR
When I was a kid I was always trying to make my own bow and arrow. I never was successful. Now as an adult, I don't have any confidence I could pull it off. Good work man!
I dove in 3 years ago after wanting to do it for a long time, lots of reading and watching videos before I tried (besides as a kid with sapling bows, etc)
I learn something new every time, especially from the failures (2). I started with gnarly osage staves and learned a lot quickly, the nice straight ones are gravy in comparison. Give it a try, it's not rocket science. If I can do it anyone can.

I bet... are you drawing it to 28"?

When I first started out, I tried to make one and ruined a decent (too short) stave... turns out inexperience, impatience, and being an orangutan (honest 31.5"-32" draw) wasn't conducive to my project surviving very long. Hahaha haven't tried again, but I think there's one in my future somewhere.

Keep us posted if you connect with it!

OP
Ddog

Ddog

WKR
I bet... are you drawing it to 28"?

When I first started out, I tried to make one and ruined a decent (too short) stave... turns out inexperience, impatience, and being an orangutan (honest 31.5"-32" draw) wasn't conducive to my project surviving very long. Hahaha haven't tried again, but I think there's one in my future somewhere.

Keep us posted if you connect with it!
Yessir, true 28" draw. That's funny, a buddy wants to swap me a flintlock build for a bow. His draw is 31", I'll have to make him a 72" bow lol

Looks great. I finally purchased an Osage stave, still haven't made a bow with it.

I've been working on a hickory static recurve. It had a blemish in the limb that I became rightfully concerned about. It broke during tillering.